Debian Kernel building - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian Kernel building - Debian ; I am building a kernel in Debian (both etch and lenny). Building the kernel goes fine, but I can't find the tools mkinitrd etc. Have added the line: deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch (or lenny) module-init-tools initrd-tools procps to sources.list However I ...

  1. Debian Kernel building

    I am building a kernel in Debian (both etch and lenny). Building the kernel
    goes fine, but I can't find the tools mkinitrd etc.

    Have added the line:
    deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch (or lenny) module-init-tools
    initrd-tools procps to sources.list

    However I cannot get hold of these tools. Have also tried with the standard
    installation (and have tried search etc.)

    Any ideas please.

    Would also be happy with a kernel that is built with HIGHMEM.

    As an aside. Why does Debian restrict itself to 1GByte?

    Gr, Tim Binsted

  2. Re: Debian Kernel building

    Government satellites recorded Tim Binsted saying:

    > Would also be happy with a kernel that is built with HIGHMEM.
    >
    > As an aside. Why does Debian restrict itself to 1GByte?

    It does up to 4GB:

    grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.18-4-686
    # CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
    CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
    # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
    CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  3. Re: Debian Kernel building

    On 08/13/2007 01:37 PM, Tim Binsted wrote:
    > I am building a kernel in Debian (both etch and lenny). Building the kernel
    > goes fine, but I can't find the tools mkinitrd etc.
    >
    > Have added the line:
    > deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch (or lenny) module-init-tools
    > initrd-tools procps to sources.list
    >
    > However I cannot get hold of these tools. Have also tried with the standard
    > installation (and have tried search etc.)
    >
    > Any ideas please.
    >
    > Would also be happy with a kernel that is built with HIGHMEM.
    >
    > As an aside. Why does Debian restrict itself to 1GByte?
    >
    > Gr, Tim Binsted

    That 'deb' line should look like this:

    deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

    You don't select individual packages within the sources.list file.
    Instead you use aptitude (or synaptic) to select and install the
    packages you want.

    Take a look at the Debian Reference:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re.../index.en.html

    At a console or X terminal, type "aptitude"

  4. Re: Debian Kernel building

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Government satellites recorded Tim Binsted saying:
    >

    >> Would also be happy with a kernel that is built with HIGHMEM.
    >>
    >> As an aside. Why does Debian restrict itself to 1GByte?
    >>

    > It does up to 4GB:
    >
    > grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.18-4-686
    > # CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
    > CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
    > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
    > CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

    I have grepped the config file (config-2.6.18-486, not 686) which is the
    standard one installed with my installation and both HIGHMEM4G and
    HIGHMEM64G are not set.
    It would therefore seem that if I install another kernel I will get HIGHMEM
    support.
    Thanks. But I am also going to build a kernel anyway so that I can do it
    under Debian!

  5. Re: Debian Kernel building

    Government satellites recorded Tim Binsted saying:

    > I have grepped the config file (config-2.6.18-486, not 686) which is the
    > standard one installed with my installation and both HIGHMEM4G and
    > HIGHMEM64G are not set.
    > It would therefore seem that if I install another kernel I will get HIGHMEM
    > support.

    Yes, the 486 was default, but this is an Asus k8n with a Sempron 64
    and 1BG RAM. Therefore, I added the 686 series and removed the
    other. And, yes, you'd get better HIGHMEM support using the 686
    kernel. Someone else can support my guess - or correct me -; I
    think the 486 boards weren't designed for so much RAM - 512MB at
    best as I recall.

    > Thanks. But I am also going to build a kernel anyway so that I can do it
    > under Debian!

    It's a good experience if nothing else. Think most every user should
    do it a few times as it provides them with a richer knowledge of
    their system and basic OS functions.
    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  6. Re: Debian Kernel building

    Tim Binsted wrote:
    > I am building a kernel in Debian (both etch and lenny). Building the kernel
    > goes fine, but I can't find the tools mkinitrd etc.
    >
    > Have added the line:
    > deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch (or lenny) module-init-tools
    > initrd-tools procps to sources.list
    >
    > However I cannot get hold of these tools. Have also tried with the standard
    > installation (and have tried search etc.)

    apt-cache show initramfs-tools

    How are you building the kernel? Are you using kernel-package/make-kpkg?

  7. Re: Debian Kernel building

    Paul Cupis wrote:

    > Tim Binsted wrote:
    >> I am building a kernel in Debian (both etch and lenny). Building the
    >> kernel goes fine, but I can't find the tools mkinitrd etc.
    >>
    >> Have added the line:
    >> deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch (or lenny) module-init-tools
    >> initrd-tools procps to sources.list
    >>
    >> However I cannot get hold of these tools. Have also tried with the
    >> standard installation (and have tried search etc.)

    > apt-cache show initramfs-tools
    >
    > How are you building the kernel? Are you using kernel-package/make-kpkg?

    I have been trying to follow an (old?) Debian HOWTO from Falko Timme
    (hhtp://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian_kernel2.6_compile)

    I have built kernels before but straight from www.kernel.org and then
    everything with the hand. But I want to try the "Debian way".

  8. Re: Debian Kernel building

    Mumia W. wrote:

    > deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

    I have tried this in my sources.list and I always get the following error
    after doing an aptitude update:
    404 Not Found.

  9. Re: Debian Kernel building

    On 08/16/2007 09:44 AM, Tim Binsted wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >
    >> deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

    > I have tried this in my sources.list and I always get the following error
    > after doing an aptitude update:
    > 404 Not Found.

    Oops, this should work:

    deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

    Or even better, go to http://www.backports.org/ and read the information
    on how to set up sources.list to use that service.

+ Reply to Thread