Your favourite image viewer? - Debian

This is a discussion on Your favourite image viewer? - Debian ; Hi all! I've migrated to Debian not long ago, and I'm looking for some really nice image viewer. Back then my favourite viewer was XnView. It is fast, easy-to-use, keyboard-friendly, allows to perform simple transformations, has many really handy features ...

  1. Your favourite image viewer?

    Hi all!

    I've migrated to Debian not long ago, and I'm looking for some really
    nice image viewer.

    Back then my favourite viewer was XnView. It is fast, easy-to-use,
    keyboard-friendly, allows to perform simple transformations, has many
    really handy features like EXIF auto-orientation.

    Imagemagick's display seems to be a true *nix way, but I couldn't
    figure how to configure it to auto-size images, and overall it seems
    to be a poor viewer.

    EOG is nice, but it is a part of GNOME -- has poor manual, starts
    slowly and required many components I would normally uninstall (I use
    fluxbox).

    gliv is fast, and I mean F-A-S-T! Also it is handy and keyboard-
    friendly, but lacks features (no transformations and no EXIF goodies).
    For slideshows it seems the best option though.

    So, what is your favourite viewer and why?

  2. Re: Your favourite image viewer?

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:18:08 -0700,
    cmr.Pent@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I've migrated to Debian not long ago, and I'm looking for some really
    > nice image viewer.
    >
    > Back then my favourite viewer was XnView. It is fast, easy-to-use,
    > keyboard-friendly, allows to perform simple transformations, has many
    > really handy features like EXIF auto-orientation.
    >
    > Imagemagick's display seems to be a true *nix way, but I couldn't
    > figure how to configure it to auto-size images, and overall it seems
    > to be a poor viewer.
    >
    > EOG is nice, but it is a part of GNOME -- has poor manual, starts
    > slowly and required many components I would normally uninstall (I use
    > fluxbox).
    >
    > gliv is fast, and I mean F-A-S-T! Also it is handy and keyboard-
    > friendly, but lacks features (no transformations and no EXIF goodies).
    > For slideshows it seems the best option though.
    >
    > So, what is your favourite viewer and why?

    I'm partial to XV. I don't think there's a deb for it, as it's
    essentially shareware, and you basically need to add a lot of patches
    that aren't distributed by the author. It's keyboard friendly, allows
    simple transformations, has a complete manual (postscript). I haven't
    heard of any patches to make use of EXIF data though.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    In selling, as in golf, the follow-through is important.

  3. Re: Your favourite image viewer?

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:18:08 -0700, cmr.Pent@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I've migrated to Debian not long ago, and I'm looking for some really
    > nice image viewer.
    >
    > Back then my favourite viewer was XnView. It is fast, easy-to-use,
    > keyboard-friendly, allows to perform simple transformations, has many
    > really handy features like EXIF auto-orientation.
    >
    > Imagemagick's display seems to be a true *nix way, but I couldn't
    > figure how to configure it to auto-size images, and overall it seems
    > to be a poor viewer.
    >
    > EOG is nice, but it is a part of GNOME -- has poor manual, starts
    > slowly and required many components I would normally uninstall (I use
    > fluxbox).
    >
    > gliv is fast, and I mean F-A-S-T! Also it is handy and keyboard-
    > friendly, but lacks features (no transformations and no EXIF goodies).
    > For slideshows it seems the best option though.
    >
    > So, what is your favourite viewer and why?

    gwenview - it works.
    gqview

  4. Re: Your favourite image viewer?

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:18:08 -0700, cmr.Pent@gmail.com wrote:

    > So, what is your favourite viewer and why?

    gThumb; it's small and neat and still being developed.

    --
    Chris Game

    What is a "free" gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

  5. Re: Your favourite image viewer?

    Chris Game wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:18:08 -0700, cmr.Pent@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> So, what is your favourite viewer and why?

    > gThumb; it's small and neat and still being developed.

    I second gthumb - been using it for years and the upgrades truly are
    that. It gets better and faster with every version.

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  6. Re: Your favourite image viewer?

    Thanks, I've tried gqview and it's so nice!
    Bye-bye Eye-Of-Gnome ;-)

  7. Re: Your favourite image viewer?

    Johnny Rebel writes:
    >Chris Game wrote:
    >> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:18:08 -0700, cmr.Pent@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> So, what is your favourite viewer and why?

    >> gThumb; it's small and neat and still being developed.
    >>

    >I second gthumb - been using it for years and the upgrades truly are
    >that. It gets better and faster with every version.

    Not really. I use twm as window manager, and gthumb used to work
    nicely for me, until I switched to Etch. Now full-screen mode sucks.
    Hmm, I should report this as bug.

    - anton

  8. Re: Your favourite image viewer?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cmr.Pent@gmail.com belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > EOG is nice, but it is a part of GNOME -- has poor manual, starts
    > slowly and required many components I would normally uninstall (I use
    > fluxbox).

    fluxbox rox!

    > gliv is fast, and I mean F-A-S-T! Also it is handy and keyboard-
    > friendly, but lacks features (no transformations and no EXIF goodies).
    > For slideshows it seems the best option though.
    >
    > So, what is your favourite viewer and why?

    I use feh the most, mostly for viewing backgrounds and making them the
    active wallpaper in fluxbox.

    I add this to my .xsession file:

    # Use feh to load the last wallpaper you set as root background using
    # feh

    eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &

    One neat thing about feh is File/Background/Set Seamless for making any
    picture into a seamless tiled background.

    gqview looks nice.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread