Simple network, 2 PC's - Debian

This is a discussion on Simple network, 2 PC's - Debian ; Hi all, I want to set up a simple network with just 2 PC's, one Debia (sid), the other 64studio. It will be using NFS. Now what I would like to know is, to have 2 way access, PC1 can ...

  1. Simple network, 2 PC's

    Hi all,
    I want to set up a simple network with just 2 PC's, one Debia
    (sid), the other 64studio. It will be using NFS. Now what I would like to
    know is, to have 2 way access, PC1 can access PC2, and PC2 can access
    PC1, do I need to have each machine set up as both Server & Client, eg,
    will both have to have nfs-kernel-server installed?

    I have followed several Howto's, which say to set up one as a server and
    one as a client, but I am unsure whether this will give 2 way access. I
    have had it set up, and the client could access the server, but the
    server could not access the client. So I thought they both may need to be
    servers and clients, which I tried, but with the same result.

    I now have fresh installs of sid and 64 studio, and would like to try
    again, so would appreciate to know whether or not I need the server
    software installed on both PC's, before I proceed.

    2 Pc's connected to a 4 port router

    Thanks

    --
    Iva Biggun

  2. Re: Simple network, 2 PC's

    On 2007-08-12, Iva Biggun rambled on thusly:

    > I want to set up a simple network with just 2 PC's, one Debia
    > (sid), the other 64studio. It will be using NFS. Now what I would like to
    > know is, to have 2 way access, PC1 can access PC2, and PC2 can access

    What exactly do you mean by "access?" NFS is a method of sharing
    directories on a network. You set up a shared directory on one machine, and
    other(s) can access it. The machine the share resides on can access it too,
    of course, since it is a local directory on that machine.

    So, for example, suppose you share /usr/local/data1 on PC1. You can still
    read and write files to that local directory. However, you could also mount
    that directory on PC2, say at /remote/data1. On PC2, you can read and write
    files to that directory (assuming permissions, of course).

    Now if you want to share different directories from both PCs, then you
    could set up both PCs to export shares. But it would be just as easy to
    share the directory on one PC and mount it on the other.

    In other words, I recommend having only one server.

    --
    Michael Fierro (aka Biffster) biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    http://apt-get.us Y!: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1

  3. Re: Simple network, 2 PC's

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:02:37 -0500, Biffster wrote:

    > On 2007-08-12, Iva Biggun rambled on thusly:
    >
    >> I want to set up a simple network with just 2 PC's, one Debia
    >> (sid), the other 64studio. It will be using NFS. Now what I would like
    >> to know is, to have 2 way access, PC1 can access PC2, and PC2 can
    >> access

    > What exactly do you mean by "access?" NFS is a method of sharing
    > directories on a network. You set up a shared directory on one machine,
    > and other(s) can access it. The machine the share resides on can access
    > it too, of course, since it is a local directory on that machine.
    >
    > So, for example, suppose you share /usr/local/data1 on PC1. You can
    > still read and write files to that local directory. However, you could
    > also mount that directory on PC2, say at /remote/data1. On PC2, you can
    > read and write files to that directory (assuming permissions, of
    > course).
    >
    > Now if you want to share different directories from both PCs, then you
    > could set up both PCs to export shares. But it would be just as easy to
    > share the directory on one PC and mount it on the other.
    >
    > In other words, I recommend having only one server.

    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, yes I think I understand how it works, and what
    your getting at, but what I want is for PC 1 to be able to access files
    on PC2, and PC2 to be able to access files on PC1. With one PC purely as
    a server, and one purely as a client, how is the server able to access
    files on the client?

    If I had a share set up on the 'server' PC, (PC1), I can access that of
    course from PC1, it's local, I can also mount it on PC2 and access it, no
    problem there. But if I'm on PC1(server), and want to access something
    that is on PC2, but /from/ PC1, then I would have to physically go to PC2
    and place that file in the share of PC1 to be able to access it on PC1.
    It would be much easier to be able to just access it directly from PC1.

    > Now if you want to share different directories from both PCs, then you
    > could set up both PCs to export shares.

    This is what I want to do, so what I want to know is, to acheive this, I
    would have to set each PC up as both a server /and/ client, by installing
    both the nfs server and client software on both machines, and setting up
    the required files for both server and client on both machines. Is this
    the correct way to go about it?

    Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something, or if I am not explaining
    myself very well, it's just a little confusing for me, on Windows it was
    easy, username/password/ip address, and access files on either PC /from/
    either PC.

    Anyway, Thanks

    --
    Iva Biggin

  4. Re: Simple network, 2 PC's

    Well I have received input from some folk at some Linux and Debian
    forums, it seems I am on the right track to achieve what I want, so I
    will now go and try to get it set up and working.

    --
    Iva Biggin

  5. Re: Simple network, 2 PC's

    I have it working now the way I want it, excellent, lets just hope when I
    boot up tomorrow everything is still working.

    --
    Iva Biggin

  6. Re: Simple network, 2 PC's

    On Aug 13, 1:15 pm, Iva Biggin wrote:
    > I have it working now the way I want it, excellent, lets just hope when I
    > boot up tomorrow everything is still working.

    Look out for dependencie problems. If PC1 needs files from PC2 and
    PC2 needs files from PC1 to boot up, you are tosted,

    You could always use autofs to get to NFS shares on any machine. I
    use that and don't get those "hard" dependecies.
    You could always use ssh (or actually scp) from you desktop. That is
    usefull to get files to/from machines you do have a ssh account on.

    Wich solution that is good/best depends on how you want to use the
    files, how large they are, what kind etc...

+ Reply to Thread