etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source? - Debian

This is a discussion on etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source? - Debian ; Hi, I have recently installed etch using the netInst-CD, and most of it is running smoothly. Now I want to use the CD as apt-source. I assumed it might be possible to use the ISO image directly as an entry ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

  1. etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    Hi,

    I have recently installed etch using the netInst-CD, and most of it is
    running smoothly. Now I want to use the CD as apt-source. I assumed
    it might be possible to use the ISO image directly as an entry in the
    sources.list file, but I cannot find out the correct syntax for it.

    Is it possible at all to use an ISO or do I have to loop-mount the ISO
    file? If so, does the mount point really have to be named according to
    the rather longish name of the netinst CD

    [Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1
    20070407-11:29]

    Thx in advance
    Michael


  2. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:07:37 -0700, mikey wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently installed etch using the netInst-CD, and most of it is
    > running smoothly. Now I want to use the CD as apt-source. I assumed it
    > might be possible to use the ISO image directly as an entry in the
    > sources.list file, but I cannot find out the correct syntax for it.
    >
    > Is it possible at all to use an ISO or do I have to loop-mount the ISO
    > file? If so, does the mount point really have to be named according to
    > the rather longish name of the netinst CD
    >
    > [Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1
    > 20070407-11:29]
    >
    > Thx in advance
    > Michael


    Isn't the entry already present in your sources.list? I thought it should/
    would be.

    This is what it says in mine, I am using Debian unstable(sid), upgraded
    from a net install of Debian testing(Lenny), this is the entry that was
    there by default

    # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot i386
    NETINST Binary-1 20070731-21:41]/ lenny contrib main

    I have it commented out 'cause I have no need to use it as a source.



    --
    Iva Biggun

  3. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    Iva Biggun schrieb:
    > This is what it says in mine, I am using Debian unstable(sid), upgraded
    > from a net install of Debian testing(Lenny), this is the entry that was
    > there by default
    >
    > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot i386
    > NETINST Binary-1 20070731-21:41]/ lenny contrib main
    >
    > I have it commented out 'cause I have no need to use it as a source.
    >
    >
    >


    The machine in question is a remote, and it is a rather small
    installation. Thus, sometimes I have to remotely install additional
    packages, and during this process every now and then the machine asks
    for the netinst cdrom. Consequently, I have to leave the cdrom in the
    machine, which is something of a nuisance

    The entry you mentioned is indeed there, and it is exactly this entry
    which I want to replace by an entry pointing to the ISO image, so I can
    remove the cdrom. But I don't know how to address the ISO image in the
    sources.list file.

    Michael

  4. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    mf writes:
    >The entry you mentioned is indeed there, and it is exactly this entry
    >which I want to replace by an entry pointing to the ISO image, so I can
    >remove the cdrom.


    No need to, just comment the entry out.

    - anton
    --
    M. Anton Ertl Some things have to be seen to be believed
    anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen
    http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html

  5. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    On 08/11/2007 06:20 AM, mf wrote:
    > [...]
    > The entry you mentioned is indeed there, and it is exactly this entry
    > which I want to replace by an entry pointing to the ISO image, so I can
    > remove the cdrom. But I don't know how to address the ISO image in the
    > sources.list file.
    >
    > Michael


    I had a problem like this too. I ended up deleting the line added by
    apt-cdrom, and I replaced it with a file: entry.

    I copied the ISO file to a location on the hard disk, and I mounted it
    at /mnt/diskimg, then I put this in my sources.list:

    deb file:///mnt/diskimg etch main contrib non-free

    I hope this helps.


  6. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    Mumia W. schrieb:
    > I copied the ISO file to a location on the hard disk, and I mounted it
    > at /mnt/diskimg, then I put this in my sources.list:
    >
    > deb file:///mnt/diskimg etch main contrib non-free


    Thanks a lot for your support, it's working now. I had tried this
    before, and it didn't work. I guess I had only said "file://" with two
    slashes instead of three.

    Michael

  7. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    On 08/11/2007 12:37 PM, mf wrote:
    > Mumia W. schrieb:
    >> I copied the ISO file to a location on the hard disk, and I mounted it
    >> at /mnt/diskimg, then I put this in my sources.list:
    >>
    >> deb file:///mnt/diskimg etch main contrib non-free

    >
    > Thanks a lot for your support, it's working now. I had tried this
    > before, and it didn't work. I guess I had only said "file://" with two
    > slashes instead of three.
    >
    > Michael


    You're very welcome. I'm glad it helped.


  8. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    On Aug 11, 1:20 pm, mf wrote:
    > Iva Biggun schrieb:
    >
    > > This is what it says in mine, I am using Debian unstable(sid), upgraded
    > > from a net install of Debian testing(Lenny), this is the entry that was
    > > there by default

    >
    > > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot i386
    > > NETINST Binary-1 20070731-21:41]/ lenny contrib main

    >
    > > I have it commented out 'cause I have no need to use it as a source.

    >
    > The machine in question is a remote, and it is a rather small
    > installation. Thus, sometimes I have to remotely install additional
    > packages, and during this process every now and then the machine asks
    > for the netinst cdrom. Consequently, I have to leave the cdrom in the
    > machine, which is something of a nuisance
    >
    > The entry you mentioned is indeed there, and it is exactly this entry
    > which I want to replace by an entry pointing to the ISO image, so I can
    > remove the cdrom. But I don't know how to address the ISO image in the
    > sources.list file.


    You don't need to. Try man apt-cdrom and then try this:
    sudo apt-cdrom

    That should do it propperly.


  9. Re: etch: netInst-ISO as apt-source?

    On Aug 23, 5:05 am, AJackson wrote:
    > On Aug 11, 1:20 pm, mf wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Iva Biggun schrieb:

    >
    > > > This is what it says in mine, I am using Debian unstable(sid), upgraded
    > > > from a net install of Debian testing(Lenny), this is the entry that was
    > > > there by default

    >
    > > > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot i386
    > > > NETINST Binary-1 20070731-21:41]/ lenny contrib main

    >
    > > > I have it commented out 'cause I have no need to use it as a source.

    >
    > > The machine in question is a remote, and it is a rather small
    > > installation. Thus, sometimes I have to remotely install additional
    > > packages, and during this process every now and then the machine asks
    > > for the netinst cdrom. Consequently, I have to leave the cdrom in the
    > > machine, which is something of a nuisance

    >
    > > The entry you mentioned is indeed there, and it is exactly this entry
    > > which I want to replace by an entry pointing to the ISO image, so I can
    > > remove the cdrom. But I don't know how to address the ISO image in the
    > > sources.list file.

    >
    > You don't need to. Try man apt-cdrom and then try this:
    > sudo apt-cdrom
    >
    > That should do it propperly.

    (apt-cdrom adds a CDROM to repository, not removing it)

    And if you ONLY want to upgrade from net (which you should do if you
    have any decent net), just comment the cdrom line out with a '#'-mark
    first on line.
    Then you only need to do this;
    sudo aptitude update

    Now, your installation woint ask for any CDROM anymore.


+ Reply to Thread