Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly? - Debian

This is a discussion on Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly? - Debian ; I've got a large number of jpgs that are postage stamp sized (something like 100 x 79 pixels) In Windows there is a program called Windows Picture and Fax viewer and when I zoom those jpgs in the windows program ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

  1. Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

    I've got a large number of jpgs that are
    postage stamp sized (something like 100 x 79 pixels)

    In Windows there is a program called Windows Picture and Fax
    viewer and when I zoom those jpgs in the windows program
    it zooms them perfectly, correcting for the expanded image
    size and gives a good clear image.

    In Debian when I use Eye of Gnome and do a zoom on the same
    images, the results are blurred badly - Gimp does the same.

    Is there a Linux image viewer that can do zooms as
    well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer? The screen resolution
    1024x768 is the same on both systems.

    I hate Windows, how do I zoom the small images up to readable
    size in Linux WITHOUT THE BLURRING????

    Thanks
    CJ


  2. Re: Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

    Jimserac wrote:
    > I've got a large number of jpgs that are
    > postage stamp sized (something like 100 x 79 pixels)
    >
    > In Windows there is a program called Windows Picture and Fax
    > viewer and when I zoom those jpgs in the windows program
    > it zooms them perfectly, correcting for the expanded image
    > size and gives a good clear image.
    >
    > In Debian when I use Eye of Gnome and do a zoom on the same
    > images, the results are blurred badly - Gimp does the same.
    >
    > Is there a Linux image viewer that can do zooms as
    > well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer? The screen resolution
    > 1024x768 is the same on both systems.
    >
    > I hate Windows, how do I zoom the small images up to readable
    > size in Linux WITHOUT THE BLURRING????
    >
    > Thanks
    > CJ
    >

    gqview :-)

  3. Re: Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

    On Aug 10, 11:08 am, Recklessnetsurfer
    wrote:
    > Jimserac wrote:
    > > I've got a large number of jpgs that are
    > > postage stamp sized (something like 100 x 79 pixels)

    >
    > > In Windows there is a program called Windows Picture and Fax
    > > viewer and when I zoom those jpgs in the windows program
    > > it zooms them perfectly, correcting for the expanded image
    > > size and gives a good clear image.

    >
    > > In Debian when I use Eye of Gnome and do a zoom on the same
    > > images, the results are blurred badly - Gimp does the same.

    >
    > > Is there a Linux image viewer that can do zooms as
    > > well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer? The screen resolution
    > > 1024x768 is the same on both systems.

    >
    > > I hate Windows, how do I zoom the small images up to readable
    > > size in Linux WITHOUT THE BLURRING????

    >
    > > Thanks
    > > CJ

    >
    > gqview :-)


    Thanks, but I just tried it again and now the images are zooming
    properly
    with no blur (!!!???). Some program or web browser I use must be
    messing things
    up somewhere. I am using Debian unstable so some bugs are to be
    expected,
    or it may be that I have not set some default or some setting properly
    somewhere.

    Thanks
    CJ


  4. Re: Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

    On Aug 10, 11:08 am, Recklessnetsurfer
    wrote:
    > Jimserac wrote:
    > > I've got a large number of jpgs that are
    > > postage stamp sized (something like 100 x 79 pixels)

    >
    > > In Windows there is a program called Windows Picture and Fax
    > > viewer and when I zoom those jpgs in the windows program
    > > it zooms them perfectly, correcting for the expanded image
    > > size and gives a good clear image.

    >
    > > In Debian when I use Eye of Gnome and do a zoom on the same
    > > images, the results are blurred badly - Gimp does the same.

    >
    > > Is there a Linux image viewer that can do zooms as
    > > well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer? The screen resolution
    > > 1024x768 is the same on both systems.

    >
    > > I hate Windows, how do I zoom the small images up to readable
    > > size in Linux WITHOUT THE BLURRING????

    >
    > > Thanks
    > > CJ

    >
    > gqview :-)


    I installed it and it works beautifully - crystal clear zooming and
    nice user interface!!!
    Mouse wheel scrolls through the jpegs in the file. Mouse left button
    held down
    moves up or down the zoomed image. Perfect!

    Many thanks
    CJ


  5. Re: Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

    Jimserac writes:

    >I've got a large number of jpgs that are
    >postage stamp sized (something like 100 x 79 pixels)


    >In Windows there is a program called Windows Picture and Fax
    >viewer and when I zoom those jpgs in the windows program
    >it zooms them perfectly, correcting for the expanded image
    >size and gives a good clear image.


    It cannot. There is only a certain amount of information in those pictures.
    The information cannot be increased. Now what the viewer could do is to
    smooth it out by interpolating the pixels, instead of displaying the whole
    pixel.

    >In Debian when I use Eye of Gnome and do a zoom on the same
    >images, the results are blurred badly - Gimp does the same.


    >Is there a Linux image viewer that can do zooms as
    >well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer? The screen resolution
    >1024x768 is the same on both systems.


    Since we do not know what "as well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer"
    means, it is hard to say what you want.
    Maybe do a comparitive screen capture.


    >I hate Windows, how do I zoom the small images up to readable
    >size in Linux WITHOUT THE BLURRING????


    >Thanks
    >CJ



  6. Re: Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

    Government satellites recorded Jimserac saying:
    > On Aug 10, 11:08 am, Recklessnetsurfer
    > wrote:
    >> gqview :-)

    >
    > I installed it and it works beautifully - crystal clear zooming and
    > nice user interface!!!
    > Mouse wheel scrolls through the jpegs in the file. Mouse left button
    > held down
    > moves up or down the zoomed image. Perfect!
    >


    I have adored gqview for years now. Has many tweaks and you're right, the
    interface is clean and easy, yet sports numerous functions.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  7. Re: Image Viewer for Linux that Zooms Correctly?

    On Aug 10, 12:44 pm, Unruh wrote:
    > Jimserac writes:
    > >I've got a large number of jpgs that are
    > >postage stamp sized (something like 100 x 79 pixels)
    > >In Windows there is a program called Windows Picture and Fax
    > >viewer and when I zoom those jpgs in the windows program
    > >it zooms them perfectly, correcting for the expanded image
    > >size and gives a good clear image.

    >
    > It cannot. There is only a certain amount of information in those pictures.
    > The information cannot be increased. Now what the viewer could do is to
    > smooth it out by interpolating the pixels, instead of displaying the whole
    > pixel.
    >
    > >In Debian when I use Eye of Gnome and do a zoom on the same
    > >images, the results are blurred badly - Gimp does the same.
    > >Is there a Linux image viewer that can do zooms as
    > >well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer? The screen resolution
    > >1024x768 is the same on both systems.

    >
    > Since we do not know what "as well as Windows Picture and Fax viewer"
    > means, it is hard to say what you want.
    > Maybe do a comparitive screen capture.
    >
    > >I hate Windows, how do I zoom the small images up to readable
    > >size in Linux WITHOUT THE BLURRING????
    > >Thanks
    > >CJ


    Pardon me I gave the wrong res on those jpgs, the res was much
    bigger than that.

    Anyway, all is well now.

    By the way (look of amazement on my face) Windows Picture and
    Fax viewer is somehow integrated into their crap system.
    I could not find an exe or path. Have no idea how you would
    remove it and make some other viewer be the default but
    will not worry about it for a second. I almost never use
    Windows, only when forced, about once a month for
    a half hour or so. It looks crappier and crappier
    each time since I'm used to the smooth browsing
    and sleekness of Linux.

    Citizen jimserac


+ Reply to Thread