Linux is a generation behind... - Debian

This is a discussion on Linux is a generation behind... - Debian ; "The APIC is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (a more sophisticated mechanism for handling interrupts), not the clock." No version of Linux that I have tried with "Live" disks supports APIC. Linux is a generation behind the current state of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Linux is a generation behind...

    "The APIC is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (a more
    sophisticated mechanism for handling interrupts), not the clock."

    No version of Linux that I have tried with "Live" disks supports APIC. Linux
    is a generation behind the current state of technology.
    -Pete

    The above message is guaranteed to do nothing except take up space on your
    HD.

  2. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    Em Quarta, 8 de Agosto de 2007 18:29, Pete escreveu:

    > "The APIC is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (a more
    > sophisticated mechanism for handling interrupts), not the clock."
    >
    > No version of Linux that I have tried with "Live" disks supports APIC.
    > Linux is a generation behind the current state of technology.
    > -Pete

    CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC:

    │ A local APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) is an

    │ integrated interrupt controller in the CPU. If you have a single-CPU

    │ system which has a processor with a local APIC, you can say Y here to

    │ enable and use it. If you say Y here even though your machine doesn't

    │ have a local APIC, then the kernel will still run with no slowdown at

    │ all. The local APIC supports CPU-generated self-interrupts (timer,

    │ performance counters), and the NMI watchdog which detects hard

    │ lockups.

    │ Symbol: X86_UP_APIC [=y]

    │ Prompt: Local APIC support on uniprocessors

    │ Defined at arch/i386/Kconfig:264

    │ Depends on: !SMP && !X86_VISWS && !X86_VOYAGER

    │ Location:

    │ -> Processor type and features

    this was taken from the help description of kernel compilation of kernel
    2.6.18 (an old version)

    live-cds are not fully funtional OSs, so it is natural that doesnt use this
    featura, but installed OSs use it.

    Linux had made the current tecnology asshole.
    Give me a Windows Live-Cd for me to try windows without installing it...
    will you?

  3. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Give me a Windows Live-Cd for me to try windows without installing it...
    > will you?

    DVD.

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  4. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    Em Quarta, 8 de Agosto de 2007 20:16, Johnny Rebel escreveu:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> Give me a Windows Live-Cd for me to try windows without installing it...
    >> will you?
    >>

    > DVD.
    >

    > JR.

    what do you mean? is there a live dvd that we can try windows xp or vista
    without installing it?

    why a dvd? windows usally came in a cd that only 20% of it is installing
    software, the rest is all crap.

  5. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quarta, 8 de Agosto de 2007 20:16, Johnny Rebel escreveu:
    >
    >> ArameFarpado wrote:
    >>
    >>> Give me a Windows Live-Cd for me to try windows without installing it...
    >>> will you?
    >>>

    >> DVD.
    >>

    >> JR.
    >>

    > what do you mean? is there a live dvd that we can try windows xp or vista
    > without installing it?
    >
    > why a dvd? windows usally came in a cd that only 20% of it is installing
    > software, the rest is all crap.

    Simply due to the size of Windows... a "live" version would never fit on
    a CD.....

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  6. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    Em Quarta, 8 de Agosto de 2007 22:27, Johnny Rebel escreveu:

    >> why a dvd? windows usally came in a cd that only 20% of it is installing
    >> software, the rest is all crap.
    >>

    > Simply due to the size of Windows... a "live" version would never fit on
    > a CD.....

    Can't Windows be minimized ? LOL

  7. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:27:37 -0400, Johnny Rebel wrote:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:

    >>> DVD.
    >>>

    >>> JR.
    >>>

    >> what do you mean? is there a live dvd that we can try windows xp or vista
    >> without installing it?
    >>
    >> why a dvd? windows usally came in a cd that only 20% of it is installing
    >> software, the rest is all crap.
    >>

    > Simply due to the size of Windows... a "live" version would never fit on
    > a CD.....
    >
    > JR.

    OK, so what is the URL for the Live DVD??

  8. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    www.nevergoingtohappen.com

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  9. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:29:34 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > No version of Linux that I have tried with "Live" disks supports APIC. Linux
    > is a generation behind the current state of technology.

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin mounted him from behind.

  10. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Can't Windows be minimized ? LOL

    Yes, to wind, like 'gone with the wind'. Re-lol.

  11. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    "ArameFarpado" wrote in message
    > Em Quarta, 8 de Agosto de 2007 22:27, Johnny Rebel escreveu:
    >
    > >> why a dvd? windows usally came in a cd that only 20% of it is

    installing
    > >> software, the rest is all crap.
    > >>

    > > Simply due to the size of Windows... a "live" version would never fit on
    > > a CD.....
    > >

    > Can't Windows be minimized ? LOL

    Yes, Format C:

  12. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    Government satellites recorded Paul saying:
    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> Can't Windows be minimized ? LOL

    > Yes, to wind, like 'gone with the wind'. Re-lol.

    *I* minimized Windows for a friend after installing Linux - put the disk thru
    his electric shredder.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  13. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.08.09.02.20.36.53245@lan.invalid...
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:29:34 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> No version of Linux that I have tried with "Live" disks supports APIC.
    >> Linux
    >> is a generation behind the current state of technology.

    > ___________________
    > /| /| | |
    > ||__|| | Please do |
    > / O O\__ NOT |
    > / \ feed the |
    > / \ \ trolls |
    > / _ \ \ ______________|
    > / |\____\ \ ||
    > / | | | |\____/ ||
    > / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    > / / \ |____| ||
    > / | | /| | --|
    > | | |// |____ --|
    > * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    > *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    > / _ \\ _ // | /
    > * / \_ /- | - | |
    > * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    So you apply a magical fix to the ADVANCED Apic. Then ask yourself why it's
    necessary if Linux is state of the art.

    "The APIC is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (a more
    sophisticated mechanism for handling interrupts), not the clock."

  14. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    > Em Quarta, 8 de Agosto de 2007 18:29, Pete escreveu:
    >
    >> "The APIC is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (a more
    >> sophisticated mechanism for handling interrupts), not the clock."
    >>
    >> No version of Linux that I have tried with "Live" disks supports APIC.
    >> Linux is a generation behind the current state of technology.
    >> -Pete
    >>

    > CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC:
    > ?
    > ?
    > ?
    > ? A local APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) is an
    > ?
    > ? integrated interrupt controller in the CPU. If you have a single-CPU
    > ?
    > ? system which has a processor with a local APIC, you can say Y here to
    > ?
    > ? enable and use it. If you say Y here even though your machine doesn't
    > ?
    > ? have a local APIC, then the kernel will still run with no slowdown at
    > ?
    > ? all. The local APIC supports CPU-generated self-interrupts (timer,
    > ?
    > ? performance counters), and the NMI watchdog which detects hard
    > ?
    > ? lockups.
    > ?
    > ?
    > ?
    > ? Symbol: X86_UP_APIC [=y]
    > ?
    > ? Prompt: Local APIC support on uniprocessors
    > ?
    > ? Defined at arch/i386/Kconfig:264
    > ?
    > ? Depends on: !SMP && !X86_VISWS && !X86_VOYAGER
    > ?
    > ? Location:
    > ?
    > ? -> Processor type and features
    >

    > this was taken from the help description of kernel compilation of kernel
    > 2.6.18 (an old version)
    >
    > live-cds are not fully funtional OSs, so it is natural that doesnt use
    > this
    > featura, but installed OSs use it.
    >
    > Linux had made the current tecnology asshole.
    > Give me a Windows Live-Cd for me to try windows without installing it...
    > will you?

    So, asshole (seems to be the obligatory manner of address), if I actually
    install Fedora 7 it will work with APIC? Really defeats the purpose of a
    Live CD. Thanks.

  15. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    Em Quinta, 9 de Agosto de 2007 15:04, Pete escreveu:

    > So, asshole (seems to be the obligatory manner of address), if I actually
    > install Fedora 7 it will work with APIC? Really defeats the purpose of a
    > Live CD. Thanks.

    And what are the purposes of a live-cd to you, asshole?

  16. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:22:30 -0400, Johnny Rebel wrote:

    > ray wrote:

    >>> Simply due to the size of Windows... a "live" version would never fit on
    >>> a CD.....
    >>>
    >>> JR.

    >> OK, so what is the URL for the Live DVD??
    >>

    > www.nevergoingtohappen.com

    I went there - could not find it.

  17. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    "Pete" writes:

    >So you apply a magical fix to the ADVANCED Apic. Then ask yourself why it's
    >necessary if Linux is state of the art.

    Oh, get off the pot, you are stinking up the place. Your particular
    motherboard has an incompetently implimented APIC, so something breaks when
    it tries to run Linux. And you blame Linux. Millions of machines run Linux
    with APIC enabled. (I have 10 from 1998 vintage machines to this year's)
    all running apic. You bought a dud and blame Linux.

    >"The APIC is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (a more
    >sophisticated mechanism for handling interrupts), not the clock."

  18. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:22:30 -0400, Johnny Rebel wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> OK, so what is the URL for the Live DVD??
    >>>

    >> www.nevergoingtohappen.com

    > I went there - could not find it.

    Must be a Windows Live DVD DNS server you are using.....

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  19. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    Em Sexta, 10 de Agosto de 2007 01:22, Johnny Rebel escreveu:
    > Must be a Windows Live DVD DNS server you are using.....
    >
    > JR.

    eheheheheheh

  20. Re: Linux is a generation behind...

    Unruh wrote:
    > "Pete" writes:
    >
    >>So you apply a magical fix to the ADVANCED Apic. Then ask yourself why it's
    >>necessary if Linux is state of the art.

    > Oh, get off the pot, you are stinking up the place. Your particular
    > motherboard has an incompetently implimented APIC, so something breaks when
    > it tries to run Linux. And you blame Linux. Millions of machines run Linux
    > with APIC enabled. (I have 10 from 1998 vintage machines to this year's)
    > all running apic. You bought a dud and blame Linux.

    I have the same problem with ALL my most recent machines, except one Dell.