screen resolution - Debian

This is a discussion on screen resolution - Debian ; Of course, I'm new to Debian which I installed a few days ago. After trying Red Hat a couple few years ago this is fine OS. My problem is that I can not change the screen resolution above 640X480. The ...

  1. screen resolution

    Of course, I'm new to Debian which I installed a few days ago. After
    trying Red Hat a couple few years ago this is fine OS. My problem is
    that I can not change the screen resolution above 640X480. The sound and
    graphics are on board the M/B and I don't remember what the info on the
    M/B is. Other wise I would look for graphic support for Linux on line at
    the M/B's web site. I'm running WinXP on the C drive and Ubuntu on the
    second H/D or drive D. In Windows I can run the resolution at 800X600
    which works for me. I'm assuming that the resolution cause some of the
    program windows to expand beyond the limits of the program screens.

    Thanks, Li'l Al

  2. Re: screen resolution

    Albert L Gerber wrote:

    > Of course, I'm new to Debian which I installed a few days ago. After
    > trying Red Hat a couple few years ago this is fine OS. My problem is
    > that I can not change the screen resolution above 640X480. The sound and
    > graphics are on board the M/B and I don't remember what the info on the
    > M/B is. Other wise I would look for graphic support for Linux on line at
    > the M/B's web site. I'm running WinXP on the C drive and Ubuntu on the
    > second H/D or drive D. In Windows I can run the resolution at 800X600
    > which works for me. I'm assuming that the resolution cause some of the
    > program windows to expand beyond the limits of the program screens.
    >
    > Thanks, Li'l Al

    Run the command dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg in a command prompt, it's
    likely X will guess correctly at what your video hardware is.

  3. Re: screen resolution

    Albert L Gerber :

    > Of course, I'm new to Debian which I installed a few days ago. After
    > trying Red Hat a couple few years ago this is fine OS. My problem is
    > that I can not change the screen resolution above 640X480. The sound and

    It may be they're already configured. In X Window, try "CTRL-ALT-+"
    (meaning the "+" key on the keypad). That cycles through the
    available modes. "-" goes backwards. If there are no other
    resolutions configured, get to a console, "su -" to root, then
    "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".

    > graphics are on board the M/B and I don't remember what the info on the
    > M/B is. Other wise I would look for graphic support for Linux on line at

    "lspci" will list all onboard devices. Add "-v" or "-vv" for more detail.

    > the M/B's web site. I'm running WinXP on the C drive and Ubuntu on the
    > second H/D or drive D. In Windows I can run the resolution at 800X600
    > which works for me. I'm assuming that the resolution cause some of the
    > program windows to expand beyond the limits of the program screens.

    Also fiddle with "Bit Per Pixel" depth. This defines how many colors
    it can display. The higher numbers use more video RAM.

  4. Re: screen resolution

    Government satellites recorded s. keeling saying:

    > It may be they're already configured. In X Window, try "CTRL-ALT-+"
    > (meaning the "+" key on the keypad). That cycles through the
    > available modes. "-" goes backwards.

    That's a cool thing to know!
    That's another _new_ thing I learned about Linux.
    Gotta love Linux! Feel the power!!

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  5. Re: screen resolution

    On Aug 9, 1:59 am, sk8r-365
    wrote:
    > Government satellites recorded s. keeling saying:
    >

    > > It may be they're already configured. In X Window, try "CTRL-ALT-+"
    > > (meaning the "+" key on the keypad). That cycles through the
    > > available modes. "-" goes backwards.

    > That's a cool thing to know!
    > That's another _new_ thing I learned about Linux.
    > Gotta love Linux! Feel the power!!

    Hrm...
    It's an X11 (or actually XFree86 and Xorg) server feature, which you
    can turn on (like Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
    Has nothing to do with linux. You have same features on xBSD etc.
    when running X11.
    Like that X11 is a distibuted graphical systems since they started to
    develop it back in the eighties. .

  6. Re: screen resolution

    AJackson :
    > On Aug 9, 1:59 am, sk8r-365
    > wrote:
    > > Government satellites recorded s. keeling saying:
    > >
    > > > It may be they're already configured. In X Window, try "CTRL-ALT-+"
    > > > (meaning the "+" key on the keypad). That cycles through the
    > > > available modes. "-" goes backwards.

    > > That's a cool thing to know!

    > Hrm...
    > It's an X11 (or actually XFree86 and Xorg) server feature, which you
    > can turn on (like Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).

    Hrm ...

    JFYI, that kills X Window. Don't do that if you don't want that.

    > Has nothing to do with linux. You have same features on xBSD etc.
    > when running X11. Like that X11 is a distibuted graphical systems
    > since they started to develop it back in the eighties. .

    ACK.

  7. Re: screen resolution

    Horton heard a Who named s. keeling saying:
    > AJackson :
    >> It's an X11 (or actually XFree86 and Xorg) server feature, which you
    >> can turn on (like Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).

    > Hrm ...
    >
    > JFYI, that kills X Window. Don't do that if you don't want that.

    It'll kill an active session but it also restarts X.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  8. Re: screen resolution

    Horton heard a Who named AJackson saying:
    > On Aug 9, 1:59 am, sk8r-365
    > wrote:
    >> Government satellites recorded s. keeling saying:
    >>

    >> > It may be they're already configured. In X Window, try "CTRL-ALT-+"
    >> > (meaning the "+" key on the keypad). That cycles through the
    >> > available modes. "-" goes backwards.

    >> That's a cool thing to know!
    >> That's another _new_ thing I learned about Linux.
    >> Gotta love Linux! Feel the power!!

    > Hrm...
    > It's an X11 (or actually XFree86 and Xorg) server feature, which you
    > can turn on (like Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
    > Has nothing to do with linux. You have same features on xBSD etc.
    > when running X11.
    > Like that X11 is a distibuted graphical systems since they started to
    > develop it back in the eighties. .

    Thanks for the info. I've only known of X via Linux. Hence, my view is limited.
    But it's a great view from here! (poor Windows suckers).

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  9. Re: screen resolution

    sk8r-365 writes:
    > It'll kill an active session but it also restarts X.

    No it doesn't. Your display manager restarts X.
    --
    John Hasler

+ Reply to Thread