Putting hard drive in different laptop - Debian

This is a discussion on Putting hard drive in different laptop - Debian ; I'm using Ubuntu Feisty, and I have a laptop that I think I'm going to have replaced with a new one (because it died at 3 months old, and I'm in California...yay for lemon laws!), and I want to put ...

  1. Putting hard drive in different laptop

    I'm using Ubuntu Feisty, and I have a laptop that I think I'm going to
    have replaced with a new one (because it died at 3 months old, and I'm
    in California...yay for lemon laws!), and I want to put its hard drive
    into the new laptop. But I'm unsure of what will happen and/or anything
    special I need to do to make this work, because I've never done this before.

    The current laptop dual boots Feisty and windoze, but I never actually
    boot into 'doze [and really don't care about losing its partition. It's
    Vista, by the way]. Ideally, I'd just like to pop the existing hard
    drive from laptop #1 into laptop #2, turn the power on, and be up and
    running. Will that happen? What about my grub menu?

    What, if anything, will I need to do to be back up and running?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    --

    When will Micro$oft make something that doesn't suck?
    When they start making vacuum cleaners!

  2. Re: Putting hard drive in different laptop

    Hi

    WCJ schrieb:

    > Ideally, I'd just like to pop the existing hard
    > drive from laptop #1 into laptop #2, turn the power on, and be up and
    > running. Will that happen? What about my grub menu?

    If the hardware matches (SATA vs. IDE , etc) nothing will break
    irreversibly. Without knowing about Ubuntu, I would say, grub menu
    will show up. The worst things that may happen:

    a) due to wrong graphic drivers the GUI won't start

    b) since the network card is different, no Internet.

    You'll have to repair that on the command line, like editing a config.
    file and restarting.

    > What, if anything, will I need to do to be back up and running?

    You have your irreplaceble data backed up any way, haven't you?
    ;->

    VR

  3. Re: Putting hard drive in different laptop

    Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:
    >> Ideally, I'd just like to pop the existing hard
    >> drive from laptop #1 into laptop #2, turn the power on, and be up and
    >> running. Will that happen? What about my grub menu?

    > If the hardware matches (SATA vs. IDE , etc) nothing will break
    > irreversibly. Without knowing about Ubuntu, I would say, grub menu
    > will show up. The worst things that may happen:
    >
    > a) due to wrong graphic drivers the GUI won't start
    >
    > b) since the network card is different, no Internet.
    >
    > You'll have to repair that on the command line, like editing a config.
    > file and restarting.

    The hardware will be identical (i.e., the exact same laptop), so
    [hopefully!] none of this should be an issue.

    >> What, if anything, will I need to do to be back up and running?

    > You have your irreplaceble data backed up any way, haven't you?

    Why, yes! I do. However, it's the reinstalling, tweaking,
    fine-tuning of Linux that I don't want to do. I had things working
    exactly the way I wanted them and really have no desire to start over
    again from scratch.

    Thanks for your input.

    --

    Defend America. Impeach Bush.
    www.cafepress.com/saproducts/1669078

  4. Re: Putting hard drive in different laptop

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 11:34:35 -0700, WCJ wrote:

    > I'm using Ubuntu Feisty, and I have a laptop that I think I'm going to
    > have replaced with a new one (because it died at 3 months old, and I'm
    > in California...yay for lemon laws!), and I want to put its hard drive
    > into the new laptop. But I'm unsure of what will happen and/or anything
    > special I need to do to make this work, because I've never done this before.
    >
    > The current laptop dual boots Feisty and windoze, but I never actually
    > boot into 'doze [and really don't care about losing its partition. It's
    > Vista, by the way]. Ideally, I'd just like to pop the existing hard
    > drive from laptop #1 into laptop #2, turn the power on, and be up and
    > running. Will that happen? What about my grub menu?
    >
    > What, if anything, will I need to do to be back up and running?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    As long as the hardware is very similar - like the same model - there
    should really be no problem with Linux. MS, on the other hand, will throw
    fits.

  5. Re: Putting hard drive in different laptop

    WCJ writes:
    >However, it's the reinstalling, tweaking,
    >fine-tuning of Linux that I don't want to do. I had things working
    >exactly the way I wanted them and really have no desire to start over
    >again from scratch.

    In that case, back up the system, too.

    When the disk fails, start a rescue disk, partition the new disk to
    your desire, restore the system and data backups, and install the boot
    loader, and you are ready to go.

    - anton