printer - Debian

This is a discussion on printer - Debian ; all in one is brother better easier than hp to run?...

  1. printer

    all in one is brother better easier than hp to run?

  2. Re: printer

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:57:52 -0500, josh wrote:

    > all in one is brother better easier than hp to run?

    doubtful.

  3. Re: printer

    josh :
    > all in one is brother better easier than hp to run?

    Try an Epson CX4800. Scanner, photocopier, and printer all work in CUPS
    environment.

  4. Re: printer

    Hi

    josh schrieb:
    > all in one is brother better easier than hp to run?

    I have a Brother MFC 410CN which I will throw away ASAP.

    In terms of features, size, ergonomy and price you can't beat that
    one, last year at least. The first problem was with the CUPS drivers.
    Brother provides a closed source driver as a rpm, which worked under
    SuSE. It sort of tweaks and replaces original components in CUPS. As
    a result I could/would not install that in my Slackware or ArchLinux.

    The other problem is OS independent. Long before the black ink is
    over it complains that there's no ink and refuses point blank to
    print! An expensive affair. I could control the damage by buying
    refills, donno how long that will work.

    Check http://www.linuxprinting.org/ before you buy. I will go for
    a hp next time.

    VR

  5. Re: printer

    Government satellites recorded Visvanath Ratnaweera saying:

    > I have a Brother MFC 410CN which I will throw away ASAP.

    The MFC 7820N FSC I use works flawlessly and HP PSC 1510 as well (both
    are USB). Using Etch I didn't add anything to the system as it was
    already done during the initial install process. Had to "add" a
    printer in Gnome and pick the ppd was all.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  6. Re: printer

    In responce to Visvanath Ratnaweera 's post. I thought everyone should
    know:

    > Hi
    >
    > josh schrieb:
    >> all in one is brother better easier than hp to run?

    > I have a Brother MFC 410CN which I will throw away ASAP.
    >
    > In terms of features, size, ergonomy and price you can't beat that
    > one, last year at least. The first problem was with the CUPS drivers.
    > Brother provides a closed source driver as a rpm, which worked under
    > SuSE. It sort of tweaks and replaces original components in CUPS. As
    > a result I could/would not install that in my Slackware or ArchLinux.
    >
    > The other problem is OS independent. Long before the black ink is
    > over it complains that there's no ink and refuses point blank to
    > print! An expensive affair. I could control the damage by buying
    > refills, donno how long that will work.
    >
    > Check http://www.linuxprinting.org/ before you buy. I will go for
    > a hp next time.
    >
    > VR

    i've had no real issues out of my brother hl-1040 aside from printing from
    web pages, and as long as im printing one copy of something. seems
    multiple copies messes with it a bit but for home use i rarely need more
    than 1 copy of anything.

    if i ever have to replace the laser printer i'll look into a hp if im
    still hearing these reports about brothers but otherwise i've been happy.

    just thought i'd post a "not all gloom and doom" post about brother
    printers *grin*

    --
    Chris

  7. Re: printer

    Hi Chris and sk8r-365 (what language ist that?)

    Chris Thompson schrieb:

    > i've had no real issues out of my brother hl-1040 aside from printing from

    We are comparing Brother MFC 410CN (inkjet multifuntion printer, scanner,
    copying and fax with USB/LAN) with Brother hl-1040 (laser printer)! A hard
    job, isn't it?

    > if i ever have to replace the laser printer i'll look into a hp if im
    > still hearing these reports about brothers but otherwise i've been happy.
    >
    > just thought i'd post a "not all gloom and doom" post about brother
    > printers *grin*

    I'm new to this NG and have no idea about those "not all gloom and doom"
    reports. Even then, one should't generalize so quickly, _one_ person is
    not happy with _one_ particular sample of a product. That's all.
    YMMV

    VR

  8. Re: printer

    In responce to Visvanath Ratnaweera 's post. I thought everyone should
    know:

    > Hi Chris and sk8r-365 (what language ist that?)
    >
    > Chris Thompson schrieb:
    >

    >> i've had no real issues out of my brother hl-1040 aside from printing from

    > We are comparing Brother MFC 410CN (inkjet multifuntion printer, scanner,
    > copying and fax with USB/LAN) with Brother hl-1040 (laser printer)! A hard
    > job, isn't it?
    >
    >> if i ever have to replace the laser printer i'll look into a hp if im
    >> still hearing these reports about brothers but otherwise i've been happy.
    >>
    >> just thought i'd post a "not all gloom and doom" post about brother
    >> printers *grin*

    > I'm new to this NG and have no idea about those "not all gloom and doom"
    > reports. Even then, one should't generalize so quickly, _one_ person is
    > not happy with _one_ particular sample of a product. That's all.
    > YMMV
    >
    > VR

    granted. one person isnt happy. but my point was that i've recently seen
    several (several being 20 or more) complaints about brother printers in
    general. not just in this forum but in several.

    if i wasnt exactly clear on that fact im sorry. i guess i was in my own
    head more than what was in the post.

    --
    Chris

  9. Re: printer

    sk8r-365 wrote:
    > Government satellites recorded Visvanath Ratnaweera saying:
    >
    >> I have a Brother MFC 410CN which I will throw away ASAP.

    > The MFC 7820N FSC I use works flawlessly and HP PSC 1510 as well (both
    > are USB). Using Etch I didn't add anything to the system as it was
    > already done during the initial install process. Had to "add" a
    > printer in Gnome and pick the ppd was all.

    il take that printer of u hands. il be at trash can looking for it
    dont let ink dry up give it to me.

  10. Re: printer

    My HP DeskJet combine works just nicely under Linux so I highly
    recommend it. And it works as a copier even without a PC! :-)

+ Reply to Thread