Networking initialisation - Debian

This is a discussion on Networking initialisation - Debian ; Folks, I have two machines, a client and a server. Both are debian. The client mounts /home via NFS and loads users via NIS from the server. Ever since upgrading my client to Debian 4 it takes several trys to ...

  1. Networking initialisation

    Folks,

    I have two machines, a client and a server. Both are debian. The
    client mounts /home via NFS and loads users via NIS from the server.

    Ever since upgrading my client to Debian 4 it takes several trys to
    boot the client. 4/5 times the boot will halt at the YP bind stage and
    will eventually time out, forcing me to restart.

    After looking around, it seems that this problem is caused by the new
    way that the networking subsystem is initialised, however nobody has
    come up with a fix that works...

    I have tried the suggested fix - add allow hotplug to interfaces, but
    this has no effect.

    How hard would it be, and what would I have to do in order to use the
    old method of network initialisation which never had any problems?

    Cheers,

  2. Re: Networking initialisation

    On Jul 29, 10:25 pm, mapkyca wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > I have two machines, a client and a server. Both are debian. The
    > client mounts /home via NFS and loads users via NIS from the server.
    >
    > Ever since upgrading my client to Debian 4 it takes several trys to
    > boot the client. 4/5 times the boot will halt at the YP bind stage and
    > will eventually time out, forcing me to restart.

    I would guess that you have some problems with resolving names on
    machines.
    You might want to set your server host name in /etc/hosts directly.
    And have that
    when you mount your NFS volumes.

    (You might want to check nscd if you use NIS to look up names, as it
    caches them. But not until your NIS works)

    > After looking around, it seems that this problem is caused by the new
    > way that the networking subsystem is initialised, however nobody has
    > come up with a fix that works...
    >
    > I have tried the suggested fix - add allow hotplug to interfaces, but
    > this has no effect.

    You could try autofs. It works for me. It only mounts file systems
    when needed.
    And the NFS home file system isn't needed until you log in.

    > How hard would it be, and what would I have to do in order to use the
    > old method of network initialisation which never had any problems?

    No clue on that one.

    > Cheers,

    Ingemar Bergman is dead. Died in his home at Fårö

+ Reply to Thread