Safe dual booting - Debian

This is a discussion on Safe dual booting - Debian ; http://www.inspirated.com/wordpress/...ized-on-linux/...

  1. Safe dual booting

  2. Re: Safe dual booting

    Oldtech :
    > http://www.inspirated.com/wordpress/...ized-on-linux/

    You're going the wrong way. I've seen estimates of 13,000 to 18,000
    separate software packages available in Debian. Why in the world
    would you want to run Windows software once you've freed yourself to
    run Linux/Debian?

    Dump that other junk in the dustbin of history. You needn't waste any
    more time on it.

    (*) Linux Counter #80292

  3. Re: Safe dual booting

    Government satellites recorded s. keeling saying:
    > Oldtech :
    >> http://www.inspirated.com/wordpress/...ized-on-linux/

    > You're going the wrong way. I've seen estimates of 13,000 to 18,000
    > separate software packages available in Debian. Why in the world
    > would you want to run Windows software once you've freed yourself to
    > run Linux/Debian?
    >
    > Dump that other junk in the dustbin of history. You needn't waste any
    > more time on it.

    I admit that I've not followed this thread and it has scrolled off the server,
    but that counsel is worthy of all consideration regardless of previous remarks!
    From the subject line I have to conclude that the only safe dual booting is none
    at all (Windows will *never* be "safe").

    Well said, Mr. Keeling.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  4. Re: Safe dual booting

    sk8r-365 :
    > Government satellites recorded s. keeling saying:
    > > Oldtech :
    > >> http://www.inspirated.com/wordpress/...ized-on-linux/

    > > You're going the wrong way. I've seen estimates of 13,000 to 18,000
    > > separate software packages available in Debian. Why in the world
    > > would you want to run Windows software once you've freed yourself to

    > I admit that I've not followed this thread and it has scrolled off
    > the server, but that counsel is worthy of all consideration

    I think this is the entire extent of the thread. He just posted a
    URL.

    > regardless of previous remarks! From the subject line I have to
    > conclude that the only safe dual booting is none at all (Windows
    > will *never* be "safe").

    "windows-95-98-2000-and-xp-simultaneously ..." reminds me of an old BC
    comic strip:

    "I can stick my left big toe in my right ear."

    "Okay, but who wants to?"

    Sure, FLOSS *can* do something as perverse as running multiple virtual
    Windows instantiations simultaneously, but why bother? There many
    actually cool things you can do with FLOSS, and that sure ain't one of
    them, or at least I don't think it is.

    There actually are ways to safe dual/multi-boot. I'm working with a
    guy who has Suse, two Zenwalks, and Xubuntu on his machine all at once
    (I built it for him; he's new and wants to try out a few). It's
    working pretty well so far. He doesn't miss that other stuff at all.

    (*) Linux Counter #80292

  5. Re: Safe dual booting

    s. keeling :
    > sk8r-365 :
    > > Government satellites recorded s. keeling saying:
    > > >
    > > > You're going the wrong way. I've seen estimates of 13,000 to 18,000

    > > I admit that I've not followed this thread and it has scrolled off

    NetNannyMode: BTW, you need to read http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Sorry. :-P

    Score: =-9998 % GG *original* posts.