Etch Newbie Question: Adding an External Modem. - Debian

This is a discussion on Etch Newbie Question: Adding an External Modem. - Debian ; After finally getting my hands on an external modem to test, I tried setting it up in Etch. When I did the install, I used CDs, since this machine only has a Win modem and dial-up access. Clicking on the ...

  1. Etch Newbie Question: Adding an External Modem.

    After finally getting my hands on an external modem to test, I
    tried setting it up in Etch. When I did the install, I used CDs, since
    this machine only has a Win modem and dial-up access.

    Clicking on the network configuration settings prompts for the
    root password, but does not display an add option. The only thing that
    shows is the network card.

    I poked around under /etc, but didn't see anything I recognized as a
    serial port setting. I halfway expect that I need to add the modem to
    a configuration file before it's detected under the network
    configurations, but don't know how to go about it.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    -Kevin J. Cheek

  2. Re: Etch Newbie Question: Adding an External Modem.

    Kevin J. Cheek writes:
    > I poked around under /etc, but didn't see anything I recognized as a
    > serial port setting. I halfway expect that I need to add the modem to a
    > configuration file before it's detected under the network configurations,
    > but don't know how to go about it.

    You need to configure PPP. The best way to do this is to install
    pppconfig, run it as root, and follow instructions.
    --
    John Hasler

  3. Re: Etch Newbie Question: Adding an External Modem.

    I demand that Kevin J. Cheek may or may not have written...

    > After finally getting my hands on an external modem to test, I tried
    > setting it up in Etch. When I did the install, I used CDs, since this
    > machine only has a Win modem and dial-up access.

    > Clicking on the network configuration settings prompts for the root
    > password, but does not display an add option. The only thing that shows is
    > the network card.

    > I poked around under /etc, but didn't see anything I recognized as a serial
    > port setting. I halfway expect that I need to add the modem to a
    > configuration file before it's detected under the network configurations,
    > but don't know how to go about it.

    # aptitude install pppconfig
    # pppconfig

    If you want to know more, have a look at ppp(8) and in /etc/ppp; also,
    interfaces(5) becomes relevant if you want to do demand dialling and you want
    to bring the interface up at boot.

    I expect that there's a HOWTO too, but I can't be bothered to check right now
    :-)

    When I get a better mouse trap built, mice will be an endangered species.

+ Reply to Thread