Wordpress - too many levels of symbolic links - Debian

This is a discussion on Wordpress - too many levels of symbolic links - Debian ; Hi all, While installing Wordpress I encounter some problems that I myself can not fix. Google isn't a help too me at this point. The wordpress directory is accessible since I can call the readme.html from any pc. Could someone ...

  1. Wordpress - too many levels of symbolic links

    Hi all,

    While installing Wordpress I encounter some problems that I myself can
    not fix. Google isn't a help too me at this point. The wordpress
    directory is accessible since I can call the readme.html from any pc.
    Could someone please give me a clue on what to do in this case?
    I can see that /etc/wp-settings.php seems to be linked to itself.
    I have no idea why, nor do I have a clue on how to resolve this.
    Here is a part of the error.log

    [Tue Jul 24 22:23:34 2007] [error] [client *.*.*.*] PHP Warning:
    require_once(/etc/wordpress/wp-settings.php) [ href='function.require-once'>function.require-once]: failed to open
    stream: Too many levels of symbolic links in
    /etc/wordpress/wp-config.php on line 20
    [Tue Jul 24 22:23:34 2007] [error] [client *.*.*.*] PHP Fatal error:
    require_once() [http://fixunix.com/function.require]: Failed
    opening required '/etc/wordpress/wp-settings.php'
    (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in
    /etc/wordpress/wp-config.php on line 20
    [Tue Jul 24 22:23:34 2007] [error] [client *.*.*.*] File does not exist:
    /var/www/myurl.com/htdocs/Blog/favicon.ico, referer:
    http://blog.myurl.com/wp-admin/install.php

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Wilbert Smeets

  2. Re: Wordpress - too many levels of symbolic links

    Wilbert Smeets wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > While installing Wordpress I encounter some problems that I myself can
    > not fix. Google isn't a help too me at this point. The wordpress
    > directory is accessible since I can call the readme.html from any pc.
    > Could someone please give me a clue on what to do in this case?
    > I can see that /etc/wp-settings.php seems to be linked to itself.
    > I have no idea why, nor do I have a clue on how to resolve this.
    > Here is a part of the error.log

    Just remove the file and create a new one by copying the
    wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php. I think that's the best solution.

  3. Re: Wordpress - too many levels of symbolic links

    wimpunk wrote:
    > Wilbert Smeets wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> While installing Wordpress I encounter some problems that I myself can
    >> not fix. Google isn't a help too me at this point. The wordpress
    >> directory is accessible since I can call the readme.html from any pc.
    >> Could someone please give me a clue on what to do in this case?
    >> I can see that /etc/wp-settings.php seems to be linked to itself.
    >> I have no idea why, nor do I have a clue on how to resolve this.
    >> Here is a part of the error.log
    >>

    > Just remove the file and create a new one by copying the
    > wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php. I think that's the best solution.

    I send a reply to the Wimpunk and not the group by accident.
    So here is the reply.

    Well the wp-config.php is accessible.
    I allready did what you said btw.
    The problem lies (do i spell that right?) in wp-settings.php
    I can't even do a cat wp-settings.php
    The install script tries to access it in /etc/wordpress
    That makes no sense to me, cause the original file is in my
    /var/www/domainname

    And that one is accessible. I can edit etc.

  4. Re: Wordpress - too many levels of symbolic links

    Wilbert Smeets wrote:
    > wimpunk wrote:
    >> Wilbert Smeets wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> While installing Wordpress I encounter some problems that I myself can
    >>> not fix. Google isn't a help too me at this point. The wordpress
    >>> directory is accessible since I can call the readme.html from any pc.
    >>> Could someone please give me a clue on what to do in this case?
    >>> I can see that /etc/wp-settings.php seems to be linked to itself.
    >>> I have no idea why, nor do I have a clue on how to resolve this.
    >>> Here is a part of the error.log
    >>>

    >> Just remove the file and create a new one by copying the
    >> wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php. I think that's the best solution.

    > I send a reply to the Wimpunk and not the group by accident.
    > So here is the reply.

    No problem.

    > Well the wp-config.php is accessible.
    > I allready did what you said btw.
    > The problem lies (do i spell that right?) in wp-settings.php
    > I can't even do a cat wp-settings.php
    > The install script tries to access it in /etc/wordpress
    > That makes no sense to me, cause the original file is in my
    > /var/www/domainname
    >
    > And that one is accessible. I can edit etc.

    First, I'm wondering why you putted it in /etc/wordpress. I've
    installed wordpress a while ago and mine is just in my /var/www/domainname
    Second, try the wordpress forum. As far as I remember, they are pretty
    active and normally they should know the answer.

  5. Re: Wordpress - too many levels of symbolic links

    Thanks for your reply.
    Well I did not put it there.
    I've installed it in the first place with a source in my sources list.
    The wordpress forum wasn't that helpfull... As a matter of fact, the
    only responsive mod told me in polite words to take a hike and that they
    did not support it. Which to me was strange, i've been supporting SuSE
    for years as my job and never told someone that I would not support
    something. It was a response I would expect from commercial software,
    not something someone who loves what he is doing would say. When he
    asked me what a symbolic link was I almost did a apt-get remove
    wordpress & apt-get install php-nuke.

    However, I know wordpress and it is the blog of my choice. In the end I
    have deleted all wordpress files, downloaded a fresh install from the
    wordpress site. And the whole issue was resolved.

    I still have no clue why the package from my source list ended up in
    /usr/share/wordpress and in /etc/wordpress and why wp-config was linked
    to itself.

    Anyway, for me the case is closed. My wordpress runs, and I'm a happy
    camper. I am however in serious doubt if I should promote wordpress to
    anyone in the future due to the weird response on their forum.

    Cheers and thanks for your help mate,

    Wilbert

    wimpunk wrote:
    > Wilbert Smeets wrote:
    >> wimpunk wrote:

    >>> Just remove the file and create a new one by copying the
    >>> wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php. I think that's the best solution.

    >> I send a reply to the Wimpunk and not the group by accident.
    >> So here is the reply.

    > No problem.
    >
    >> Well the wp-config.php is accessible.
    >> I allready did what you said btw.
    >> The problem lies (do i spell that right?) in wp-settings.php
    >> I can't even do a cat wp-settings.php
    >> The install script tries to access it in /etc/wordpress
    >> That makes no sense to me, cause the original file is in my
    >> /var/www/domainname
    >>
    >> And that one is accessible. I can edit etc.

    > First, I'm wondering why you putted it in /etc/wordpress. I've
    > installed wordpress a while ago and mine is just in my /var/www/domainname
    > Second, try the wordpress forum. As far as I remember, they are pretty
    > active and normally they should know the answer.

+ Reply to Thread