Lookin for a good Debian sources list - Debian

  1. Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    Updating my system is there any repositories you would recommend?

    thx

  2. Re: Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 04:40:36 +0000, al wrote:

    > Updating my system is there any repositories you would recommend?
    >
    > thx

    Yes, of course. I recommend you use the repositories (mirrors close to
    you) that correspond to your Debian release. We don't have a clue what
    that would be though because you didn't tell us.

    I'm not sure that updating would give the results you expect, updating
    just downloads the package lists so the package manager knows what
    packages are available.

    You can't necessarily just add any repository someone mentions and expect
    to be able to install from it without breaking your system. People can
    always tell you how to force something to install, but that isn't always
    the best choice.

    You might get better answers if you formed your question differently, gave
    more detail. Probably it's even a good idea to list your current sources
    list. For example, you could paste your current list into your post and
    state what it is you want that is not available, like multimeda things or
    backports of some newer package or, or, or. As it stands, you might get
    recommendations that won't be helpful and that might cause you grief. It
    could even be a good idea to mention which package manager you use but
    that won't affect anything except method.

    The reasons for detail are explained in this document. It's long but a
    good thing to read when one starts posting for help.

    Rodney

  3. Re: Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    al wrote:
    > Updating my system is there any repositories you would recommend?
    >
    > thx

    Rodney is spot on with his advise.

    I once changed my repositories, and got into such a ball of wax that it
    was only a complete rebuild that fixed it all...

  4. Re: Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    Oldtech espoused:
    > al wrote:
    >> Updating my system is there any repositories you would recommend?
    >>
    >> thx
    >>

    > Rodney is spot on with his advise.
    >
    > I once changed my repositories, and got into such a ball of wax that it
    > was only a complete rebuild that fixed it all...

    Interesting, you troll several groups, then.

    For the real, original, poster, I would suggest that you check the
    standard debian respositories, and if you want anything else, you can
    look into the multi-media or backports or other respositories, if they
    might help.

    Once you add packages from additional repositories, the dependencies
    will become more complex, however, apt-get/dpkg will prevent you from
    killing your machine, although there could be occasions where upgrades
    are not aligned, and so you might need to decide which capability you
    wish to be without for a while.

    Clearly, this is preferable to Windows DLL hell which typically requires
    a rebuild every 18 months, of course. My main server has been running
    and functional for about 10 years now, has undergone several major
    upgrades, and continues to be fine.

  5. Re: Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    Government satellites recorded Mark Kent saying:
    > Oldtech espoused:
    >> al wrote:
    >>> Updating my system is there any repositories you would recommend?
    >>>
    >>> thx
    >>>

    >> Rodney is spot on with his advise.
    >>
    >> I once changed my repositories, and got into such a ball of wax that it
    >> was only a complete rebuild that fixed it all...

    > Interesting, you troll several groups, then.

    Just curious; which are you saying is the troll - Oldtech or al?

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  6. Re: Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    sk8r-365 espoused:
    > Government satellites recorded Mark Kent saying:
    >> Oldtech espoused:

    >>> Rodney is spot on with his advise.
    >>>
    >>> I once changed my repositories, and got into such a ball of wax that it
    >>> was only a complete rebuild that fixed it all...

    >> Interesting, you troll several groups, then.

    > Just curious; which are you saying is the troll - Oldtech or al?

    I was referring to oldtech; I've seen this nym trolling elsewhere,
    although it could be someone else, I suppose. Anyone who suggests that
    debian requires a complete rebuild is probably not being honest, though,
    that would be a rare event indeed.

  7. Re: Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    Government satellites recorded Mark Kent saying:
    > sk8r-365 espoused:
    >>
    >> Just curious; which are you saying is the troll - Oldtech or al?
    >>

    > I was referring to oldtech; I've seen this nym trolling elsewhere,
    > although it could be someone else, I suppose. Anyone who suggests that
    > debian requires a complete rebuild is probably not being honest, though,
    > that would be a rare event indeed.

    Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  8. Re: Lookin for a good Debian sources list

    sk8r-365 espoused:
    > Government satellites recorded Mark Kent saying:
    >> sk8r-365 espoused:
    >>>
    >>> Just curious; which are you saying is the troll - Oldtech or al?
    >>>

    >> I was referring to oldtech; I've seen this nym trolling elsewhere,
    >> although it could be someone else, I suppose. Anyone who suggests that
    >> debian requires a complete rebuild is probably not being honest, though,
    >> that would be a rare event indeed.
    >>

    > Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

    Actually, I think I was wrong on both counts - my apologies to all.