stop beep in vi - Debian

This is a discussion on stop beep in vi - Debian ; dear debian gurus, how can stop that beeb whenever i enter a wrong command in vi ? thanx alot tim...

  1. stop beep in vi

    dear debian gurus,
    how can stop that beeb whenever i enter a wrong command in vi ?

    thanx alot
    tim

  2. Re: stop beep in vi

    Government satellites recorded tim braun saying:
    > dear debian gurus,
    > how can stop that beeb whenever i enter a wrong command in vi ?

    Smart ass answer - stop screwing up.

    More likely the reply you need ...

    from the manual:
    "5.3 How can I keep Vim from beeping all the time?

    Well, you can use ``set noerrorbells" but it does not turn off the bell for
    all cases. It only makes a difference for error messages; the bell will be
    always be used for a lot of errors without a message (e.g., hitting in
    Normal mode).

    If you want Vim to stop beeping then all you need is ``:set vb'' which tries
    to do a screen flash rather than an audible beep. Some terminals can't do
    screen flashes, but if yours does and you don't want it to flash or beep
    then use ``:set vb t_vb=''."

    or

    (haven't tried this, put the following in your .vimrc)

    set noerrorbells
    set visualbells
    set t_vb=

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  3. Re: stop beep in vi

    * sk8r-365 :
    > Government satellites recorded tim braun saying:
    >> dear debian gurus,
    >> how can stop that beeb whenever i enter a wrong command in vi ?
    >>

    > from the manual:
    > "5.3 How can I keep Vim from beeping all the time?

    [...]

    just an unsolicited advice to consider:

    this beep prevents you from typing stuff in command mode, at least after
    a few characters -- this was sometimes helpful to me

    regards, Felix

    --
    Felix M. Palmen (Zirias) \ -PGP- /"\ ASCII Ribbon
    web: http://zirias.ath.cx/ \ http://zirias.ath.cx/pub.txt \ / Campaign

  4. Re: stop beep in vi

    Government satellites recorded Felix M. Palmen saying:

    > just an unsolicited advice to consider:
    >
    > this beep prevents you from typing stuff in command mode, at least after
    > a few characters -- this was sometimes helpful to me

    I appreciate the "helping hand" myself ... I goof up and so do
    the dev people who added that handy little helper. Yet, OP seems to
    find the beep a bit too insistent
    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  5. Re: stop beep in vi

    On 07/19/2007 03:09 PM, tim braun wrote:
    > dear debian gurus,
    > how can stop that beeb whenever i enter a wrong command in vi ?
    >
    > thanx alot
    > tim

    :set vb

    That gets you a visual bell (flashing screen). If you want to stop the
    screen from flashing, try this:

    :set t_vb=

    I'm assuming that your question is actually about vim rather than the
    old vi.

  6. Re: stop beep in vi

    On 20 Jul., 00:42, "Mumia W." +nos...@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > On 07/19/2007 03:09 PM, tim braun wrote:
    >
    > > dear debian gurus,
    > > how can stop that beeb whenever i enter a wrong command in vi ?

    > > thanx alot
    > > tim

    > :set vb
    >
    > That gets you a visual bell (flashing screen). If you want to stop the
    > screen from flashing, try this:
    >
    > :set t_vb=
    >
    > I'm assuming that your question is actually about vim rather than the
    > old vi.

    thank you for your hints.

    tim

+ Reply to Thread