Wierd memory problem with a custom kernel - Debian

This is a discussion on Wierd memory problem with a custom kernel - Debian ; I just upgraded my system RAM from 1 GB (2x 512 MB) to 1.5 GB (512 MB + 1 GB). However, when I boot into a custom compiled kernel (2.6.21-5 with the tuxonice/suspend2 patch), I see the memory is unchanged ...

  1. Wierd memory problem with a custom kernel

    I just upgraded my system RAM from 1 GB (2x 512 MB) to 1.5 GB (512 MB + 1
    GB). However, when I boot into a custom compiled kernel (2.6.21-5 with the
    tuxonice/suspend2 patch), I see the memory is unchanged (free -m reports
    884 MB). When I boot into a vanilla Debian kernel (2.6.21-2), I see the
    full 1.5 GB (free -m reports 1510 MB). Needless to say, the BIOS also
    reports the full 1.5 GB. I do not remember hardwiring the total memory
    anywhere during the compilation of that kernel. Further, the grub boot line
    is unremarkable in either case.

    The system feels snappier when I use the Debian vanilla kernel (indicating
    that it is really seeing more RAM and I do not simply have a kernel
    dependent bug in free -m).

    Any suggestions to see where things are going awry ?

  2. Re: Wierd memory problem with a custom kernel

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:18:45 -0700, Geico Caveman wrote:

    > I just upgraded my system RAM from 1 GB (2x 512 MB) to 1.5 GB (512 MB + 1
    > GB). However, when I boot into a custom compiled kernel (2.6.21-5 with the
    > tuxonice/suspend2 patch), I see the memory is unchanged (free -m reports
    > 884 MB). When I boot into a vanilla Debian kernel (2.6.21-2), I see the
    > full 1.5 GB (free -m reports 1510 MB). Needless to say, the BIOS also
    > reports the full 1.5 GB. I do not remember hardwiring the total memory
    > anywhere during the compilation of that kernel. Further, the grub boot
    > line is unremarkable in either case.
    >
    > The system feels snappier when I use the Debian vanilla kernel (indicating
    > that it is really seeing more RAM and I do not simply have a kernel
    > dependent bug in free -m).
    >
    > Any suggestions to see where things are going awry ?

    My first guess would be that you did not CONFIG_HIGHMEM when you compiled
    your custom kernel. However, I'm not familiar with that patch, so I might
    not be correct. Seems to act like not configured in kernel, though.

    Rodney

+ Reply to Thread