[Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type - Debian

This is a discussion on [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type - Debian ; There's a description about "Find as you type" feature in the Gnome User Guide (Desktop User Guide?) [Chapter 2 Desktop Overview : Applications : Choosing A file]: Find-as-you-type If you know the name of the file you want to open, ...

  1. [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    There's a description about "Find as you type" feature in the Gnome
    User Guide (Desktop User Guide?) [Chapter 2 Desktop Overview :
    Applications : Choosing A file]:

    Find-as-you-type

    If you know the name of the file you want to open, begin typing
    it: the file list will jump to show you files whose names begin
    with the characters you type. Arrow keys will now select from only
    these files. The characters you have typed appear in a pop-up
    window at the base of the file list.

    I want to have this feature for my nautilus windows and desktop. How
    do I enable/add it in Debian? Ubuntu has it -- does it depend on some
    packages? or do I need to set some preferences?

    I'm using debian testing.

    Thanks,
    T.

  2. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    Government satellites recorded Takehiko Abe saying:
    > There's a description about "Find as you type" feature in the Gnome

    > I want to have this feature for my nautilus windows and desktop. How
    > do I enable/add it in Debian? Ubuntu has it -- does it depend on some
    > packages? or do I need to set some preferences?

    I use Etch and within Nautilus goto Edit > Pref. > Behavior Tab, go
    down to "Behavior" and check the box which reads "Always use
    text-entry location bar".

    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  3. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    sk8r-365 writes:

    Hello

    [I might have replied directly to you thru mail. Sorry.]

    > I use Etch and within Nautilus goto Edit > Pref. > Behavior Tab, go
    > down to "Behavior" and check the box which reads "Always use
    > text-entry location bar".

    I cannot find one. Mine does not seem to have the option.
    There are three options [under behavior tag --> behavior section]:

    * Single click to activate items
    * Double click to [...]
    * Always open in browser window

    Thanks,

  4. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    Government satellites recorded Takehiko Abe saying:
    > sk8r-365 writes:
    >
    > Hello
    >
    > [I might have replied directly to you thru mail. Sorry.]

    Not a problem - besides, my address is bogus (see the headers).

    >> I use Etch and within Nautilus goto Edit > Pref. > Behavior Tab, go
    >> down to "Behavior" and check the box which reads "Always use
    >> text-entry location bar".

    > I cannot find one. Mine does not seem to have the option.
    > There are three options [under behavior tag --> behavior section]:
    >
    > * Single click to activate items
    > * Double click to [...]
    > * Always open in browser window

    That may be due to your use of "testing", and I'm on "stable".
    --
    sk8r-365

  5. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    sk8r-365 writes:

    >> [I might have replied directly to you thru mail. Sorry.]

    > Not a problem - besides, my address is bogus (see the headers).

    ah. and I don't even have smtp setup for gnus. doh

    >> I cannot find one. Mine does not seem to have the option.
    >> There are three options [under behavior tag --> behavior section]:
    >>
    >> * Single click to activate items
    >> * Double click to [...]
    >> * Always open in browser window
    >>

    > That may be due to your use of "testing", and I'm on "stable".

    Yes. At least now I know it is available on stable. Thanks.

    If the feature is removed or not working on testing, somebody
    must have already commented on it somewhere. I googled millionth
    times already and checked bug reports but found nothing.. odd.

    regards,
    T.

  6. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    Government satellites recorded Takehiko Abe saying:

    > Yes. At least now I know it is available on stable. Thanks.
    >
    > If the feature is removed or not working on testing, somebody
    > must have already commented on it somewhere. I googled millionth
    > times already and checked bug reports but found nothing.. odd.

    Saw some complaints within the Ubuntu forums - you might read there
    a bit.
    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  7. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    sk8r-365 writes:

    >> If the feature is removed or not working on testing, somebody
    >> must have already commented on it somewhere. I googled millionth
    >> times already and checked bug reports but found nothing.. odd.
    >>

    > Saw some complaints within the Ubuntu forums - you might read there
    > a bit.

    Did google searches and found someone reporting the same
    problem for ubuntu gutsy. And that's interesting because
    I have no problem in gutsy.

    I tried ubuntu feisty and gutsy once again, and the feature is present
    not only in nautilus but many other places too (improves usablity
    greatly). So, I guess I need to install some packages (gnome? gtk?).
    I just cannot figure out which one.

    [btw, the google search returned another result which describes
    the identical problem, and that is me participating in a very
    fishy looking 'JLA forums'. I'm posting to alt.os.linux.debian
    for the record.]

    regards,
    T.

  8. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    Some progress.

    I found that this elusive find-as-you-type feature works in a
    "failsafe x-session".

    Now, I need to learn what is x-session and the difference
    between failsafe session and normal session.

    Where's the difference? Everything sesms normal in a failsafe
    session... Oh, I see, Smart Common Input Method Platform
    doesn't work for one thing.

    Now I began to suspect that the scim is the culprit. For
    I haven't installed it on ubuntu system that I tried,
    and there, find-as-you-type works.

    But I hope I am wrong. I need it for japanese input.

    ***

    oh boy keyboard stuff is giving me a huge headache.
    xkbmap, input methods, short cuts, etc. (ok mouse too.
    Why do I need two button mouse -- no its 3, 4, 5)

    gee. still long way to go. desktop linux nirvana.
    saying goodbye to microsoft is easy. saying goodbye
    to apple and not looking back is a bit harder I guess.

  9. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    I wrote:

    > Some progress.
    >
    > I found that this elusive find-as-you-type feature works in a
    > "failsafe x-session".
    >
    > Now, I need to learn what is x-session and the difference
    > between failsafe session and normal session.
    >
    > Where's the difference? Everything sesms normal in a failsafe
    > session... Oh, I see, Smart Common Input Method Platform
    > doesn't work for one thing.
    >
    > Now I began to suspect that the scim is the culprit. For
    > I haven't installed it on ubuntu system that I tried,
    > and there, find-as-you-type works.

    I was wrong about scim. Ubuntu feisty has scim already
    installed. And the find-as-you-type worked even after I
    installed japanese input method. Sorry, scim!

    Next suspect, XEVIE . (What the heck is that?)

    good night.

  10. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    Government satellites recorded Takehiko Abe saying:

    > Next suspect, XEVIE . (What the heck is that?)

    Quick Google search for xevie found this on http://tinyurl.com/3yvtus:

    About XEvIE

    X Event Interception Extension (XEvIE) is designed for users who need to
    intercept all the Keyboard and Mouse events. The requirement for XEvIE is
    directly from GNOME Accessibility project. AT Accessibility API needs to have
    full keyboard/mouse control. XEvIE provides a set of API to allow AT
    Accessibility API to get and consume Keyboard/Mouse events. The current version
    of XEvIE works in single-client mode. The multiple-client support will be added
    in the future release.
    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  11. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    sk8r-365 writes:

    >> Next suspect, XEVIE . (What the heck is that?)
    >>

    > Quick Google search for xevie found this on http://tinyurl.com/3yvtus:
    >
    > [quote]
    > <...>

    Thanks. I'm looking at my .xsession-errors. And scim is listed first
    and then XEVIE. but, "XEVIE" is gone from .xsession-errors after
    I de-selected "Enable assitive technologies" in "Assistive Technology
    Preferences" (I have no clue why I enabled it in the first place --
    actually I don't remember I did.). So I guess XEVIE is not resposible
    either.

    I began to suspect scim again. For one thing, often weird things
    happen after I typed japanese text with a scim input method, e.g.
    control-tab (to rotate windows) stop working and a window stop
    responding to my keyboard (the latter sometimes happen without
    a scim session though).

    I'm about to give up -- it may be just that testing is not stable
    after all.

    regards,
    T.

  12. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    Government satellites recorded Takehiko Abe saying:
    > sk8r-365 writes:
    >

    >>> Next suspect, XEVIE . (What the heck is that?)
    >>>

    >> Quick Google search for xevie found this on http://tinyurl.com/3yvtus:
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >> <...>

    > Thanks. I'm looking at my .xsession-errors. And scim is listed first
    > and then XEVIE. but, "XEVIE" is gone from .xsession-errors after
    > I de-selected "Enable assitive technologies" in "Assistive Technology
    > Preferences" (I have no clue why I enabled it in the first place --
    > actually I don't remember I did.). So I guess XEVIE is not resposible
    > either.
    >
    > I began to suspect scim again. For one thing, often weird things
    > happen after I typed japanese text with a scim input method, e.g.
    > control-tab (to rotate windows) stop working and a window stop
    > responding to my keyboard (the latter sometimes happen without
    > a scim session though).
    >
    > I'm about to give up -- it may be just that testing is not stable
    > after all.

    Wish I could be more helpful, and - not intending to be rude - you
    have to expect "testing" to be "not stable".

    Please write back when you get resolution - by whatever means-,
    for the benefit of others and my own knowledge, please.
    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  13. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    sk8r-365 writes:

    >> I'm about to give up -- it may be just that testing is not stable
    >> after all.
    >>

    > Wish I could be more helpful, and - not intending to be rude - you
    > have to expect "testing" to be "not stable".

    I know. What I meant is "testing" is not "stable".

    > Please write back when you get resolution - by whatever means-,
    > for the benefit of others and my own knowledge, please.

    I'll remove japanese input method and see if it makes a
    difference.

    Thanks,
    T.

  14. Re: [Q] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    >> Please write back when you get resolution - by whatever means-,
    >> for the benefit of others and my own knowledge, please.

    > I'll remove japanese input method and see if it makes a
    > difference.

    Done that. And it made a difference. "find-as-you-type" feature
    now works.

    Ubuntu feisty with scim does not have the problem. And
    someone mentioned the same problem on ubuntu gutsy.
    So I guess it is likely that the current run of scim has
    some sort of bug.

    T.

  15. Re: [semi-Solved] Nautilus find-as-you-type

    I wrote:

    >>> Please write back when you get resolution - by whatever means-,
    >>> for the benefit of others and my own knowledge, please.

    >> I'll remove japanese input method and see if it makes a
    >> difference.

    > Done that. And it made a difference. "find-as-you-type" feature
    > now works.

    Correction: I removed scim along with a japanese input method.
    Removing an input method alone does not make a difference.

    > Ubuntu feisty with scim does not have the problem. And
    > someone mentioned the same problem on ubuntu gutsy.
    > So I guess it is likely that the current run of scim has
    > some sort of bug.

    I have reinstalled scim and a japanese input method and configured
    scim differently than before. And the symptom is gone, that is, the
    gnome's 'find-as-you-type' feature now works for me in nautilus
    and other places.

    "im-switch" is a package recommended by scim package. After
    installing a set of scim related packages, I run im-switch:

    | $ im-switch -c
    |
    | There are 5 candidates which provide IM for
    | /home/keke/.xinput.d/en_US:
    |
    | Selection Alternative
    | -----------------------------------------------
    | + 1 default
    | 2 none
    | 3 scim
    | 4 scim-immodule
    | 5 th-xim
    |
    | System wide default for en_US (or all_ALL) locale is marked with [+].
    | Press enter to keep the current selection[*], or type selection
    | number:

    If I choose #2 (none), then scim won't start and there will be
    no problem (except I cannot use an input method.)

    Previously, I had selected #3 (scim). This time, I selected #4
    (scim-immodule). And the 'find-as-you-type' feature is back.

    Although I do not know the difference between scim and scim-immodule,
    I observed that (a) scim seems to behave a little differently
    and [...]

    OK, I'm reading scim READMEs now and it seems that they recommend
    _against_ the use of immodule. (README.GTK mentioned some crash caused
    by C++ ABI change.) Ah, What the heck. I want 'find-as-you-type'.

+ Reply to Thread