FTP question and killing running applications - Debian

This is a discussion on FTP question and killing running applications - Debian ; I searched for an FTP program to put websites on line but I didn't exactly found what I was looking for. ( something with a nice GUI ) However under "Places" I found "connect to server" and I connected to ...

  1. FTP question and killing running applications

    I searched for an FTP program to put websites on line but I didn't
    exactly found what I was looking for. ( something with a nice GUI )
    However under "Places" I found "connect to server" and I connected
    to an FTP server on one of my computers, so far so good.

    After this, I see under "places" the IP address of that computer and
    when I try to open that I get after quite some time, an error
    "could not open location IP address Details unknown error code 46"

    When I try to "Search for Files" ( under "Places too ) the windows
    doesn't open anymore. I Guess these thing are related to each other.
    How do I see what applications are running, how do I kill an
    application and di I get rid of this problem ?
    ( Not opening the search windows anymore )

    Sorry for all these questions I am rather new here and I have got
    most things I need running now, however many things are still a mystery
    to me.

    Edmund

  2. Re: FTP question and killing running applications

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:28:24 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > I searched for an FTP program to put websites on line but I didn't exactly
    > found what I was looking for. ( something with a nice GUI ) However under
    > "Places" I found "connect to server" and I connected to an FTP server on
    > one of my computers, so far so good.

    Have you tried the FireFTP add-on to Firefox? That has a very nice GUI.

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  3. Re: FTP question and killing running applications

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:28:24 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    >
    >> I searched for an FTP program to put websites on line but I didn't exactly
    >> found what I was looking for. ( something with a nice GUI ) However under
    >> "Places" I found "connect to server" and I connected to an FTP server on
    >> one of my computers, so far so good.

    > Have you tried the FireFTP add-on to Firefox? That has a very nice GUI.

    That doesn't show up in my synaptic/repositories.

    Edmund

  4. Re: FTP question and killing running applications

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:28:55 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:28:24 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    >>
    >>> I searched for an FTP program to put websites on line but I didn't
    >>> exactly found what I was looking for. ( something with a nice GUI )
    >>> However under "Places" I found "connect to server" and I connected to
    >>> an FTP server on one of my computers, so far so good.

    >> Have you tried the FireFTP add-on to Firefox? That has a very nice GUI.

    > That doesn't show up in my synaptic/repositories.

    You download through Firefox. Start FF, then Tools -> Add-ons. Click get
    extensions (bottom right corner). You can find it there, there's lots of
    good add-ons.

    Direct link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684

    HTH.

    --