Gnome ESD sound events and ALSA working together - Debian

This is a discussion on Gnome ESD sound events and ALSA working together - Debian ; OK, so someone posted here a question as how to have both Gnome sound events, via ESD, and then allow ALSA to do it's thing. There appeared tonight an answer in the Debian Forum. Here's the message (and this works, ...

  1. Gnome ESD sound events and ALSA working together

    OK, so someone posted here a question as how to have both Gnome
    sound events, via ESD, and then allow ALSA to do it's thing. There
    appeared tonight an answer in the Debian Forum.

    Here's the message (and this works, too):

    radamis Posted: 2007-07-15 16:38

    Adding: Code: default_options=-as 1

    to /etc/esound/esd.conf helped me considerably. ESD by default takes
    control of the sound system and won't let anything else use it. The
    above line tells ESD that after 1 second of being idle release the
    sound system for others to use. It didn't help with the 1-3 second
    delay between the audio app and the speakers when the audio was going
    through esd(made watching movies a little weird).
    HTH whoever it was asking about this.
    --
    sk8r-365

    http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

  2. Re: Gnome ESD sound events and ALSA working together

    On Jul 16, 5:26 am, sk8r-365
    wrote:
    > OK, so someone posted here a question as how to have both Gnome
    > sound events, via ESD, and then allow ALSA to do it's thing. There
    > appeared tonight an answer in the Debian Forum.
    >
    > Here's the message (and this works, too):
    >

    > radamis Posted: 2007-07-15 16:38
    >
    > Adding: Code: default_options=-as 1
    >
    > to /etc/esound/esd.conf helped me considerably. ESD by default takes
    > control of the sound system and won't let anything else use it. The
    > above line tells ESD that after 1 second of being idle release the
    > sound system for others to use. It didn't help with the 1-3 second
    > delay between the audio app and the speakers when the audio was going
    > through esd(made watching movies a little weird).
    >

    > HTH whoever it was asking about this.
    > --
    > sk8r-365
    >
    > http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

    Hmmm, if you see to that package libesd-alsa0 is installed instead of
    libesd0, it should work.
    The package libesd0 made esd to use OSS (old sound system), which
    block sound to only one application at a time. libesd-alsa0 use alsa
    instead, which can mix sound from different sources.

+ Reply to Thread