compiling source: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" - Debian

This is a discussion on compiling source: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" - Debian ; Hi I downloaded a package "asterisk" a voip softphone application. Now I need to make it work :-) ( The installed ekigi and linphone did not work very well with my voipbuster account ) ../configure gave me :"no acceptable C ...

  1. compiling source: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

    Hi

    I downloaded a package "asterisk" a voip softphone application.
    Now I need to make it work :-)

    ( The installed ekigi and linphone did not work very well
    with my voipbuster account )

    ../configure gave me :"no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

    What package do I need for this and do I need to edit this path,
    if so how?

    If I need to install some complete package, this is how my
    /etc/apt/sources.list looks now, do I need to add some
    sources here too?

    d@debian:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list
    #
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch non-free
    deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1
    20070407-11:55]/ etch contrib main

    Edmund

  2. Re: compiling source: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

    On 07/13/2007 05:33 AM, Edmund wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I downloaded a package "asterisk" a voip softphone application.
    > Now I need to make it work :-)
    >
    > ( The installed ekigi and linphone did not work very well
    > with my voipbuster account )
    >
    > ../configure gave me :"no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"
    >
    > What package do I need for this and do I need to edit this path,
    > if so how?
    >
    > If I need to install some complete package, this is how my
    > /etc/apt/sources.list looks now, do I need to add some
    > sources here too?
    >
    > d@debian:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list
    > #
    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch non-free
    > deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1
    > 20070407-11:55]/ etch contrib main
    >

    > Edmund

    Build dependencies are packages that are required in order to build a
    package from the source.

    # man apt-get
    # apt-get build-dep asterisk

    But why are you trying to build from the source? It looks like asterisk
    1.2.13~dfsg-2 was built for Etch.

  3. Re: compiling source: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 07/13/2007 05:33 AM, Edmund wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I downloaded a package "asterisk" a voip softphone application.
    >> Now I need to make it work :-)
    >>
    >> ( The installed ekigi and linphone did not work very well
    >> with my voipbuster account )
    >>
    >> ../configure gave me :"no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"
    >>
    >> What package do I need for this and do I need to edit this path,
    >> if so how?
    >>
    >> If I need to install some complete package, this is how my
    >> /etc/apt/sources.list looks now, do I need to add some
    >> sources here too?
    >>
    >> d@debian:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list
    >> #
    >> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    >> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    >> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch non-free
    >> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1
    >> 20070407-11:55]/ etch contrib main
    >>

    >> Edmund

    > Build dependencies are packages that are required in order to build a
    > package from the source.
    >
    > # man apt-get
    > # apt-get build-dep asterisk
    >
    > But why are you trying to build from the source? It looks like asterisk
    > 1.2.13~dfsg-2 was built for Etch.

    Hmmm I am not familiar with these Linux names, I searched for phone,
    voip etc in synaptic and I didn't recognize "asterisk" as a voip thing.

    Even now, in synaptic it is not very clear asterisk is a voip program.
    After selecting it with synaptic and "apply" I cannot find the program
    on my computer, not with "search for files" or anything?

    I am rather new to Linux and I like it very much, but this puzzles me.
    How do I find and start this asterisk1.2.13-dfsg-2 ??

    Anyway in the mean time I found that "Twinkle" works
    with my voipbuster account. But before one find "twinkle"
    while searching for Voip or phone is a different story.

    Edmund

  4. Re: compiling source: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

    On 07/16/2007 10:36 AM, Edmund wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> But why are you trying to build from the source? It looks like
    >> asterisk 1.2.13~dfsg-2 was built for Etch.

    > Hmmm I am not familiar with these Linux names, I searched for phone,
    > voip etc in synaptic and I didn't recognize "asterisk" as a voip thing.
    >
    > Even now, in synaptic it is not very clear asterisk is a voip program.
    > After selecting it with synaptic and "apply" I cannot find the program
    > on my computer, not with "search for files" or anything?

    Information about how to use the program should be in
    /usr/share/doc/asterisk/ and /usr/share/doc/asterisk-config/.

    > I am rather new to Linux and I like it very much, but this puzzles me.
    > How do I find and start this asterisk1.2.13-dfsg-2 ??

    You would search in synaptic by "description and name" for the words
    "voice over ip"; asterisk will appear at the top of the output.
    1.2.13-dfsg-2 is the version string.

    > Anyway in the mean time I found that "Twinkle" works
    > with my voipbuster account. But before one find "twinkle"
    > while searching for Voip or phone is a different story.
    >

    > Edmund

    Well you seem not to need asterisk any more. I'm glad you solved it.

  5. Re: compiling source: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

    Edmund wrote:
    > I downloaded a package "asterisk" a voip softphone application.
    > Now I need to make it work :-)

    Asterisk isn't a VoIP softphone; it's a full blown PBX.

    > ( The installed ekigi and linphone did not work very well
    > with my voipbuster account )

    Linphone is /very/ basic. Try twinkle

    > ./configure gave me :"no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

    (Why on earth are you compiling from source?) This mean's you've not got
    a development environment. No C compiler, and probably no includes,
    libraries, and whatnot.

    > What package do I need for this [...]

    gcc

    > d@debian:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list

    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch non-free
    > deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1
    > 20070407-11:55]/ etch contrib main

    I suggest that unless you know you want to compile from source, you
    comment out the deb-src line. The deb http... lines can be merged:

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free

    You might want "contrib" on the end there, too.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread