Newsclient send problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Newsclient send problem - Debian ; Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post messages to the newsgroups, "server timed out". Since I have a new ISP too and they are all terrible in the Netherlands I don't know what is ...

  1. Newsclient send problem

    Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post messages to the
    newsgroups, "server timed out".
    Since I have a new ISP too and they are all terrible in the Netherlands I don't
    know what is going wrong.
    Is there a log file from these newsreaders somewhere, that show the
    communication between my computer and the newsserver?

    Edmund

  2. Re: Newsclient send problem

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:48:09 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post messages
    > to the
    > newsgroups, "server timed out".
    > Since I have a new ISP too and they are all terrible in the Netherlands
    > I don't know what is going wrong.
    > Is there a log file from these newsreaders somewhere, that show the
    > communication between my computer and the newsserver?
    >
    > Edmund

    Unfortunately I don't know if this will apply to the version of Pan that
    you use. We know from a previous discussion that I'm using an older
    version of Pan than you. My Pan has a log viewer option on the Tools menu.
    Chances are it's going to give you the server timed out message without
    much to say "why".

    Are you getting any indication that the connection to your ISP has dropped
    when you get the server timed out message? At that point are you able to
    read any new message that you haven't downloaded for offline viewing? Do
    you use any tray icon or desktop display to show you activity on the Net.
    We don't even know whether you use broadband or dialup. Please get in the
    habit of providing more information. It's just too difficult and time
    consuming trying to draw it out of you.

    I'd say chances are good that, if it happens with both of those mature
    newsreaders in stable (etch) the fault is not with the newsreader but that
    you don't have a connection at the time you try to send. There could be
    various things which could give that symptom, some at your site,
    some elsewhere. I don't consider mis-configuration because you wrote,
    "most of the time" which should indicate that they work some of the time.

    Rodney

  3. Re: Newsclient send problem

    Edmund :

    > Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post
    > messages to the newsgroups, "server timed out". Since I have a new
    > ISP too and they are all terrible in the Netherlands I don't know

    I don't believe that.

    > what is going wrong. Is there a log file from these newsreaders

    Doubtful. I suggest you pick one newsreader, then go to
    news.software.readers, and request they try to walk you through
    configuring it correctly. Tell them which one it is, what version,
    what your operating system is, how you connect to the net, and
    anything else that's relevant.

    Have you tried thunderbird? If you can get that to work, that'll show
    all the underlying guts are correctly in place, allowing you to
    concentrate on just your nntp client.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292

  4. Re: Newsclient send problem

    On 2007-07-11, s. keeling wrote:
    > Edmund :
    >>
    >> Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post
    >> messages to the newsgroups, "server timed out". Since I have a new
    >> ISP too and they are all terrible in the Netherlands I don't know

    > I don't believe that.
    >
    >> what is going wrong. Is there a log file from these newsreaders

    > Doubtful. I suggest you pick one newsreader, then go to
    > news.software.readers, and request they try to walk you through
    > configuring it correctly. Tell them which one it is, what version,
    > what your operating system is, how you connect to the net, and
    > anything else that's relevant.
    >
    > Have you tried thunderbird? If you can get that to work, that'll show
    > all the underlying guts are correctly in place, allowing you to
    > concentrate on just your nntp client.

    I find that doing my online activity at nite is more reliable, as bandwidth
    is quite congested during daytime hours.

    YMMV

    --
    whatever

  5. Re: Newsclient send problem

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:48:09 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post messages
    > to the newsgroups, "server timed out".

    Is there anything you're *NOT* having problems with? Perhaps you can just
    post those items, and thus save the internet a lot of bandwidth.

    Or, perhaps you should just go back to Windoze. Linux may not be for you.

  6. Re: Newsclient send problem

    On Jul 12, 3:59 am, Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:48:09 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    > > Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post messages
    > > to the newsgroups, "server timed out".

    > Is there anything you're *NOT* having problems with? Perhaps you can just
    > post those items, and thus save the internet a lot of bandwidth.
    >
    > Or, perhaps you should just go back to Windoze. Linux may not be for you.
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Just ignore Dan C's unhelpfull comments. He is just not happy that you
    don't use Slackware instead of Debian...

  7. Re: Newsclient send problem

    AJackson wrote:
    > On Jul 12, 3:59 am, Dan C wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:48:09 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    >>> Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post messages
    >>> to the newsgroups, "server timed out".

    >> Is there anything you're *NOT* having problems with? Perhaps you can just
    >> post those items, and thus save the internet a lot of bandwidth.
    >>
    >> Or, perhaps you should just go back to Windoze. Linux may not be for you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    > Just ignore Dan C's unhelpfull comments. He is just not happy that you
    > don't use Slackware instead of Debian...

    That's fine with me :-).
    I just might! have found a weird problem, hopefully my send problem
    is solved.

    Edmund

  8. Re: Newsclient send problem

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 04:02:14 +0000, AJackson wrote:

    >> Is there anything you're *NOT* having problems with? Perhaps you can just
    >> post those items, and thus save the internet a lot of bandwidth.
    >>
    >> Or, perhaps you should just go back to Windoze. Linux may not be for you.

    > Just ignore Dan C's unhelpfull comments. He is just not happy that you
    > don't use Slackware instead of Debian...

    Actually, that's completely wrong. Just think how many *more* stupid
    questions he'd be asking if he used Slackware...

    We don't see this level of stupidity among Slack users. Really.

  9. Re: Newsclient send problem

    [edit]

    > That's fine with me :-).
    > I just might! have found a weird problem, hopefully my send problem is
    > solved.
    >
    > Edmund

    Edmund, almost as important as the answers you receive are that you report
    back what the trouble turned out to be and how you solved it. Weird
    problems are especially interesting since many of the questions here
    are routine. These posts are archived and someone with the same or a
    similiar question may search and find what they need without having to ask
    the same question again. Often they need the solution to see if it
    applies to their question. That ability to search the group posts
    has the potential to save bandwith and people's time. Reporting back
    is part of the way you payback for the free help you receive.

    Rodney

  10. Re: Newsclient send problem

    Rodney wrote:
    > [edit]
    >> That's fine with me :-).
    >> I just might! have found a weird problem, hopefully my send problem is
    >> solved.
    >>
    >> Edmund

    > Edmund, almost as important as the answers you receive are that you report
    > back what the trouble turned out to be and how you solved it. Weird
    > problems are especially interesting since many of the questions here
    > are routine. These posts are archived and someone with the same or a
    > similiar question may search and find what they need without having to ask
    > the same question again. Often they need the solution to see if it
    > applies to their question. That ability to search the group posts
    > has the potential to save bandwith and people's time. Reporting back
    > is part of the way you payback for the free help you receive.

    Hi Rodney
    Yes I am aware of that and I was going to report back on this,
    once I am sure it IS solved!

    > Rodney

    Edmund

  11. Re: Newsclient send problem-Problem found!

    Edmund wrote:
    > Most of the time my newsreaders pan and Knode don't let me post messages to the
    > newsgroups, "server timed out".
    > Since I have a new ISP too and they are all terrible in the Netherlands I don't
    > know what is going wrong.
    > Is there a log file from these newsreaders somewhere, that show the
    > communication between my computer and the newsserver?
    >
    > Edmund

    In short:
    It is not a Linux problem but a hardware problem.
    My new ISP gave me an ADSL modem/router with a telephone service too.

    My layout :
    The new router connected to the ADSL line
    One of the (4 ) LAN of this router connected with a crossed cable
    to my existing router/print server ( WAN ).

    ( I need that to use my printer )

    My old router/print server is connected to my 4 computers.( LAN)
    Using fixed IP addresses which worked fine.

    So the only new part was the new ADSL modem/router.
    This was configured to give DHCP and my existing router
    received an IP address from it.

    I then could browse the internet receiving mail and all.
    Only problem was with sending mail and especially to
    the newsgroups. Which worked every now and then?
    After initial similar problems with my other OS
    ( the Be Operating System ) all was OK under BeOS after
    a few days. ( nothing was changed in the setup )
    For some reason I don't know yet, Debian still had problems
    with sending mail.
    Now I plugged in my Debian computer directly to the new
    router/modem use DHCP on Debian and all is OK for about two days now.

    Note
    My BeOS computers are still connected via the
    "old" router/print server and none of them have
    any problem.

    Edmund

+ Reply to Thread