Network printer nogo - Debian

This is a discussion on Network printer nogo - Debian ; Hi , I have my printer ( Brother HL140 ) on my router/printserver. Connected with a paralell cable. ( works fine onder BeOS and even Windows). Router address IP is 192.168.1.1 , In one, I think windows I hade to ...

  1. Network printer nogo

    Hi ,
    I have my printer ( Brother HL140 ) on my router/printserver.
    Connected with a paralell cable. ( works fine onder BeOS and even
    Windows).
    Router address IP is 192.168.1.1 , In one, I think windows I hade to
    fill out : Http://192.... under BeOS :just 192.........
    Also the name which have to filled in is crusial

    Can someone guide me step by step to get it work?

    Much appreciated

    Edmund

  2. Re: Network printer nogo

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Edmund belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > I have my printer ( Brother HL140 ) on my router/printserver.

    Do you mean HL1040?

    > Connected with a paralell cable. ( works fine onder BeOS and even
    > Windows). Router address IP is 192.168.1.1 , In one, I think
    > windows I hade to fill out : Http://192.... under BeOS :just
    > 192......... Also the name which have to filled in is crusial

    Are you trying to share the printer on one machine and having trouble
    accessing it over the network from another? What operating systems are
    involved?

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: Network printer nogo

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:32:00 +0000, Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Edmund belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I have my printer ( Brother HL140 ) on my router/printserver.

    > Do you mean HL1040?

    Oops Hl1450

    >> Connected with a paralell cable. ( works fine onder BeOS and even
    >> Windows). Router address IP is 192.168.1.1 , In one, I think
    >> windows I hade to fill out : Http://192.... under BeOS :just
    >> 192......... Also the name which have to filled in is crusial

    > Are you trying to share the printer on one machine and having trouble
    > accessing it over the network from another? What operating systems are
    > involved?

    The printer is on the hardware router/printserver and offcourse
    I want to use it with all computers on the network.
    The other OSes ( Why you wanna know? ) are BeOS, BeOS
    and sometimes Windows XP.
    I am sure it is very simple to get it working under Linux too,
    if I only knew how :-)

  4. Re: Network printer nogo

    Edmund wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:32:00 +0000, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Edmund belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> I have my printer ( Brother HL140 ) on my router/printserver.

    >> Do you mean HL1040?

    > Oops Hl1450
    >>> Connected with a paralell cable. ( works fine onder BeOS and even
    >>> Windows). Router address IP is 192.168.1.1 , In one, I think
    >>> windows I hade to fill out : Http://192.... under BeOS :just
    >>> 192......... Also the name which have to filled in is crusial

    >> Are you trying to share the printer on one machine and having trouble
    >> accessing it over the network from another? What operating systems are
    >> involved?

    > The printer is on the hardware router/printserver and offcourse
    > I want to use it with all computers on the network.
    > The other OSes ( Why you wanna know? ) are BeOS, BeOS
    > and sometimes Windows XP.
    > I am sure it is very simple to get it working under Linux too,
    > if I only knew how :-)

    Cups will attach to a network printer. There is a network printer
    setup app in both Gnome and KDE for this purpose. You need the printer
    network address, and a ppd file for your printer.

  5. Re: Network printer nogo

    ken scharf wrote:

    > Edmund wrote:
    >> On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:32:00 +0000, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Edmund belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Do you mean HL1040?

    >> Oops Hl1450
    >>> Are you trying to share the printer on one machine and having trouble
    >>> accessing it over the network from another? What operating systems are
    >>> involved?

    >> The printer is on the hardware router/printserver and offcourse
    >> I want to use it with all computers on the network.
    >> The other OSes ( Why you wanna know? ) are BeOS, BeOS
    >> and sometimes Windows XP.
    >> I am sure it is very simple to get it working under Linux too,
    >> if I only knew how :-)
    >>

    > Cups will attach to a network printer. There is a network printer
    > setup app in both Gnome and KDE for this purpose. You need the printer
    > network address, and a ppd file for your printer.

    I need a little more help, the IP address from the printserver
    is 192.168.1.1
    What is a ppd file and where do I find that, what do I fill in
    in the printer setup?

  6. Re: Network printer nogo

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Edmund belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Cups will attach to a network printer. There is a network printer
    >> setup app in both Gnome and KDE for this purpose. You need the printer
    >> network address, and a ppd file for your printer.

    > I need a little more help, the IP address from the printserver
    > is 192.168.1.1

    That's a weird address. Usually it is the address of your router. Oh
    well.

    > What is a ppd file and where do I find that, what do I fill in
    > in the printer setup?

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...rother-HL-1250

    for description

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-o-m...HL-1250&show=0

    to get it. The 1450 uses the hl1250 driver.

    Copy the file to /etc/cups/ppd. I usually rename it to something more
    conventional and shorter, like lp0.ppd.

    Then edit the following snipped into /etc/cups/printers.conf:

    Info Brother HL-1440 laser printer
    Location computer room
    DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.1:9100
    State Idle
    StateTime 1177862814
    Accepting Yes
    Shared Yes
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    OpPolicy default
    ErrorPolicy stop-printer

    Restart cups (I use /etc/init.d/cupsys restart).

    Browse to http://localhost:631 and you should see your printer, be able to start it, and print a test page.

    Potential wrinkle: You may have set the printer up under Windows to use
    winprinting rather than PostScript. Might slow it down a little.

    You can also install foomatic-gui and do the configuration through it.

    CUPS should have found your printer automatically, though.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Network printer nogo

    > to get it. The 1450 uses the hl1250 driver.

    Here I found the ppd-omatic-cgi after a while I found : create ppd file,
    that helped.

    > Copy the file to /etc/cups/ppd. I usually rename it to something more
    > conventional and shorter, like lp0.ppd.
    >
    > Then edit the following snipped into /etc/cups/printers.conf:

    Hmm I am not allowed to edit these files since I am not the owner.
    What does this stupid computer knows, hell I own this thing :-).
    Anyway I cannot log in as root or admin via the GUI, I seems to have
    the wrong password, don't know why.

    > Info Brother HL-1440 laser printer
    > Location computer room
    > DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.1:9100

    What is this 9100?

    > State Idle
    > StateTime 1177862814
    > Accepting Yes
    > Shared Yes
    > JobSheets none none
    > QuotaPeriod 0
    > PageLimit 0
    > KLimit 0
    > OpPolicy default
    > ErrorPolicy stop-printer
    >

    > Restart cups (I use /etc/init.d/cupsys restart).
    >
    > Browse to http://localhost:631 and you should see your printer, be able to
    > start it, and print a test page.
    >
    > Potential wrinkle: You may have set the printer up under Windows to use
    > winprinting rather than PostScript. Might slow it down a little.
    >
    > You can also install foomatic-gui and do the configuration through it.
    >
    > CUPS should have found your printer automatically, though.

    Thanks a lot it didn't work due to my secret admin password but after some
    trouble I could install a printer with the GUI, some crashes while adding
    a printer but now it works.

    I used network printer Unix type (LPD) address 192.168.1.1
    How do I log in as root or administrator and have all permissions to
    mess things up? :-)

  8. Re: Network printer nogo

    On Jul 10, 12:13 pm, Edmund wrote:
    > > to get it. The 1450 uses the hl1250 driver.

    > Here I found the ppd-omatic-cgi after a while I found : create ppd file,
    > that helped.
    >

    > > Copy the file to /etc/cups/ppd. I usually rename it to something more
    > > conventional and shorter, like lp0.ppd.

    > > Then edit the following snipped into /etc/cups/printers.conf:

    > Hmm I am not allowed to edit these files since I am not the owner.
    > What does this stupid computer knows, hell I own this thing :-).
    > Anyway I cannot log in as root or admin via the GUI, I seems to have
    > the wrong password, don't know why.
    >

    > > Info Brother HL-1440 laser printer
    > > Location computer room
    > > DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.1:9100

    > What is this 9100?
    >

    > > State Idle
    > > StateTime 1177862814
    > > Accepting Yes
    > > Shared Yes
    > > JobSheets none none
    > > QuotaPeriod 0
    > > PageLimit 0
    > > KLimit 0
    > > OpPolicy default
    > > ErrorPolicy stop-printer
    > >

    > > Restart cups (I use /etc/init.d/cupsys restart).

    > > Browse tohttp://localhost:631and you should see your printer, be able to
    > > start it, and print a test page.

    > > Potential wrinkle: You may have set the printer up under Windows to use
    > > winprinting rather than PostScript. Might slow it down a little.

    > > You can also install foomatic-gui and do the configuration through it.

    > > CUPS should have found your printer automatically, though.

    > Thanks a lot it didn't work due to my secret admin password but after some
    > trouble I could install a printer with the GUI, some crashes while adding
    > a printer but now it works.
    >
    > I used network printer Unix type (LPD) address 192.168.1.1
    > How do I log in as root or administrator and have all permissions to
    > mess things up? :-)

    Give commando su in a terminal window.

    Install and set up sudo to be abel to run commands as root ("sudo ls"
    run "ls" as user root)

    You should be able to configure your cups environment (printer system)
    through http://localhost:631
    If not, configuration files are at "/etc/cups" directory

  9. Re: Network printer nogo

    On Jul 10, 12:13 pm, Edmund wrote:
    > > to get it. The 1450 uses the hl1250 driver.

    > Here I found the ppd-omatic-cgi after a while I found : create ppd file,
    > that helped.
    >

    > > Copy the file to /etc/cups/ppd. I usually rename it to something more
    > > conventional and shorter, like lp0.ppd.

    > > Then edit the following snipped into /etc/cups/printers.conf:

    > Hmm I am not allowed to edit these files since I am not the owner.
    > What does this stupid computer knows, hell I own this thing :-).
    > Anyway I cannot log in as root or admin via the GUI, I seems to have
    > the wrong password, don't know why.
    >

    > > Info Brother HL-1440 laser printer
    > > Location computer room
    > > DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.1:9100

    > What is this 9100?

    The port that HP Laser Jet Printers is mostly using, when connected to
    an ethernet cabel.

+ Reply to Thread