Evolution / Pan problems - Debian

This is a discussion on Evolution / Pan problems - Debian ; I just installed Debian and testing it right now. One big problem is that the nice looking Evoluation mail program doesn't work!? All seems fine but the "send /receive" button is grayed out. I am pretty sure all is configured ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Evolution / Pan problems

    I just installed Debian and testing it right now.
    One big problem is that the nice looking Evoluation mail program
    doesn't work!? All seems fine but the "send /receive" button is grayed
    out. I am pretty sure all is configured well since I used another
    version of it under Ubuntu without problems.
    Suggestions, please, must I try to send via a terminal or anything else I
    can try?

    Pan
    I am using "pan" newsreader looks pretty good too, what I cannot find here
    is an option to download all headers AND messages for off-line use.
    Since I often use my laptop on hotspots I really must have such option.

    Thanks

    Edmund

  2. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:22:33 +0000, Edmund wrote:

    > I just installed Debian and testing it right now. One big problem is
    > that the nice looking Evoluation mail program doesn't work!? All seems
    > fine but the "send /receive" button is grayed out. I am pretty sure all
    > is configured well since I used another version of it under Ubuntu
    > without problems. Suggestions, please, must I try to send via a terminal
    > or anything else I can try?

    Click file => work online

    > Pan
    > I am using "pan" newsreader looks pretty good too, what I cannot find
    > here is an option to download all headers AND messages for off-line use.
    > Since I often use my laptop on hotspots I really must have such option.

    You can install fetchnews

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  3. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:07:55 +0200, repo wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:22:33 +0000, Edmund wrote:

    > You can install fetchnews

    off course I ment leafnode or another NNTP server

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  4. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On 07/06/2007 06:22 AM, Edmund wrote:
    > I just installed Debian and testing it right now.
    > One big problem is that the nice looking Evoluation mail program
    > doesn't work!? All seems fine but the "send /receive" button is grayed
    > out. I am pretty sure all is configured well since I used another
    > version of it under Ubuntu without problems.
    > Suggestions, please, must I try to send via a terminal or anything else I
    > can try?

    Evolution works here. Go into "Tools/ Settings" and enter the
    information that needed in the various sections. Probably Ubuntu enters
    this data for you, but Debian does not.

    > Pan
    > I am using "pan" newsreader looks pretty good too, what I cannot find here
    > is an option to download all headers AND messages for off-line use.
    > Since I often use my laptop on hotspots I really must have such option.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Edmund

    Pan (0.13-0.14) definitely supports offline news reading without needing
    other software; however, the fact that Pan has no manual can be a
    challenge for newcomers.

    As Repo said, you can switch between online and offline modes using the
    menu option "File/Work Online."

    It's been a while since I've used Pan, but I remember setting up filters
    to download newsgroup messages. Pan is a complicated newsreader, and
    there are many ways to do things in it.

    You can have filters download the messages you want. You can select
    groups of messages to be downloaded--then download them. You can tell
    Pan to download all messages in any newsgroup you enter.

    Hunt through the menus and carefully read the tooltips. That's probably
    how I learned to use Pan.

    However, I stopped using Pan in favor of Thunderbird
    since Thunderbird has a
    manual and is more stable.

    Good luck.

  5. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:07:55 +0200, repo wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:22:33 +0000, Edmund wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed Debian and testing it right now. One big problem is
    >> that the nice looking Evoluation mail program doesn't work!? All seems
    >> fine but the "send /receive" button is grayed out. I am pretty sure all
    >> is configured well since I used another version of it under Ubuntu
    >> without problems. Suggestions, please, must I try to send via a terminal
    >> or anything else I can try?

    > Click file => work online

    Great, how could I have missed that one :-)

  6. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    In message , "Mumia W."
    wrote:
    > On 07/06/2007 06:22 AM, Edmund wrote:

    New try ( my ISP is giving me problems too )

    > > I just installed Debian and testing it right now.
    > > One big problem is that the nice looking Evoluation mail program
    > > doesn't work!? All seems fine but the "send /receive" button is grayed
    > > out. I am pretty sure all is configured well since I used another
    > > version of it under Ubuntu without problems.
    > > Suggestions, please, must I try to send via a terminal or anything else I
    > > can try?
    > >

    > Evolution works here. Go into "Tools/ Settings" and enter the
    > information that needed in the various sections. Probably Ubuntu enters
    > this data for you, but Debian does not.

    It was the "Work Online" button I didn't see :-)

    > > Pan
    > > I am using "pan" newsreader looks pretty good too, what I cannot find

    > here
    > > is an option to download all headers AND messages for off-line use.
    > > Since I often use my laptop on hotspots I really must have such option.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Edmund
    > >

    > Pan (0.13-0.14) definitely supports offline news reading without needing
    > other software; however, the fact that Pan has no manual can be a
    > challenge for newcomers.

    My Version does not have these features, why is version 0.13-0.14 not
    under the synaptic thing? Or must I search for other servers?

    > As Repo said, you can switch between online and offline modes using the
    > menu option "File/Work Online."

    Yes in pan too but that gives me no messages for off line reading.

    > It's been a while since I've used Pan, but I remember setting up filters
    > to download newsgroup messages. Pan is a complicated newsreader, and
    > there are many ways to do things in it.
    >
    > You can have filters download the messages you want. You can select
    > groups of messages to be downloaded--then download them. You can tell
    > Pan to download all messages in any newsgroup you enter.
    >
    > Hunt through the menus and carefully read the tooltips. That's probably
    > how I learned to use Pan.

    Don't see these options or filters.

    > However, I stopped using Pan in favor of Thunderbird
    > since Thunderbird has a
    > manual and is more stable.

    OK I have dowloaded that now how do I install that myself?
    I unpacked the tar.gz file in a folder. I see an mozilla install.bin
    But it did not install.
    Must I use the terminal and "./configure" and "make" ?

    > Good luck.

    Thank you I can use a little :-)

  7. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:42:48 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > In message ,
    > "Mumia W." wrote:
    >> On 07/06/2007 06:22 AM, Edmund wrote:

    do chmod +x insttall.bin
    ../install.bin

    > OK I have dowloaded that now how do I install that myself? I unpacked
    > the tar.gz file in a folder. I see an mozilla install.bin But it did not
    > install.
    > Must I use the terminal and "./configure" and "make" ?

    do :
    chmod +x install.bin
    ../install.bin

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  8. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    [snip]
    >> > I am using "pan" newsreader looks pretty good too, what I

    cannot find
    >> here
    >> > is an option to download all headers AND messages for off-line use.
    >> > Since I often use my laptop on hotspots I really must have such
    >> > option.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Edmund
    >> >

    >> Pan (0.13-0.14) definitely supports offline news reading without
    >> needing other software; however, the fact that Pan has no manual can be
    >> a challenge for newcomers.

    > My Version does not have these features, why is version 0.13-0.14 not
    > under the synaptic thing? Or must I search for other servers?

    Edmund, you didn't state what Debian version you installed, was it etch?
    Do you have Pan version .119-1? Pan version 0.14 is from sarge, that's why
    you might not find it listed in the synaptic package manager, if you are
    using etch repositories.

    Are you saying that, in Pan, in the preferences, there is no option to
    "Download new headers and bodies from suscribed groups when starting Pan"?
    One wouldn't expect the maintainer to remove such a useful option when
    upgrading to a newer version. I'm posting this from sarge with Pan .14 and
    it's in this version.

    That would be fine for a broadband connection but would take a while if
    one was suscribed to a lot of newsgroups and would require some disk
    space. I use Pan but just download the ones I choose to read for offline,
    but you may want them all. Any message bodies you download to read are
    available for offline viewing. I assume you haven't optioned it to clear
    the cache when exiting.

    [snip]
    >> However, I stopped using Pan in favor of Thunderbird
    >> since Thunderbird has a
    >> manual and is more stable.

    > OK I have dowloaded that now how do I install that myself? I unpacked
    > the tar.gz file in a folder. I see an mozilla install.bin But it did not
    > install.
    > Must I use the terminal and "./configure" and "make" ?

    Since you mentioned synaptic (a GUI package manager front end) and don't
    seem experienced at installing, I'm assuming you're new at this, so I
    don't understand why you didn't use the package manager to install
    Thunderbird (or Icedove). That way the package manager will know about it
    being installed, put it in the necessary location for Debian and it will
    get security upgrades along with your other Debian packages. If you need
    the latest, newest version direct from Mozilla then you'll have to keep it
    up-to-date manually, are you sure that is what you want to do? There's
    nothing wrong with doing it that way as long as you realise what is
    involved.

    I don't know why Mumia W doesn't consider Pan stable, I've never had any
    stability issues with it and personally I like it better than TBird as a
    newsreader but you can choose what works best for you.

    Rodney

  9. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 05:26:01 -0700, Rodney wrote:

    > [snip]

    > Are you saying that, in Pan, in the preferences, there is no option to
    > "Download new headers and bodies from suscribed groups when starting
    > Pan"? One wouldn't expect the maintainer to remove such a useful option
    > when upgrading to a newer version. I'm posting this from sarge with Pan
    > .14 and it's in this version.

    I use Pan 0.131, and there is no option to download the body's, only
    headers

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  10. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On 07/08/2007 03:42 AM, Edmund wrote:
    > In message , "Mumia W."
    > wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> You can have filters download the messages you want. You can select
    >> groups of messages to be downloaded--then download them. You can tell
    >> Pan to download all messages in any newsgroup you enter.
    >>
    >> Hunt through the menus and carefully read the tooltips. That's probably
    >> how I learned to use Pan.

    > Don't see these options or filters.

    Pan 0.119 refers to a downloaded article as a "cached" article. "Cache"
    an article to download it for offline use.

    However, I can't find any filters in Pan 0.119. According to the
    website, they rewrote (or massively restructured) the program.

    Like I said:

    >> However, I stopped using Pan in favor of Thunderbird
    >> since Thunderbird has a
    >> manual and is more stable.

    > OK I have dowloaded that now how do I install that myself?
    > I unpacked the tar.gz file in a folder. I see an mozilla install.bin
    > But it did not install.
    > Must I use the terminal and "./configure" and "make" ?
    > [...]

    Repo gave you good advise. Just double-clicking on "install.sh" might
    work, but I don't know. I've always installed from a terminal.

  11. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    repo wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:42:48 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    >
    >> In message ,
    >> "Mumia W." wrote:
    >>> On 07/06/2007 06:22 AM, Edmund wrote:

    > do chmod +x insttall.bin
    > ./install.bin
    >

    >> OK I have dowloaded that now how do I install that myself? I unpacked
    >> the tar.gz file in a folder. I see an mozilla install.bin But it did not
    >> install.
    >> Must I use the terminal and "./configure" and "make" ?
    >>

    > do :
    > chmod +x install.bin
    > ./install.bin

    Oops my mistake, in the thunderbird folder there is no install.bin
    there is a "mozilla-installer-bin"
    No idea what to do with it.

    The "help" on the website is funny, click the mozilla file, yeah right!

    Edmund

  12. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    Mumia W. wrote:

    > On 07/08/2007 03:42 AM, Edmund wrote:
    >> In message , "Mumia
    >> W." wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> You can have filters download the messages you want. You can select
    >>> groups of messages to be downloaded--then download them. You can tell
    >>> Pan to download all messages in any newsgroup you enter.
    >>>
    >>> Hunt through the menus and carefully read the tooltips. That's probably
    >>> how I learned to use Pan.

    >> Don't see these options or filters.

    > Pan 0.119 refers to a downloaded article as a "cached" article. "Cache"
    > an article to download it for offline use.

    Thanks I just found that and I can indeed select all articles and
    "cache" them. However I would have preferred an option "download
    headers and messages".

    > However, I can't find any filters in Pan 0.119. According to the
    > website, they rewrote (or massively restructured) the program.
    >
    > Like I said:
    >
    >>> However, I stopped using Pan in favor of Thunderbird
    >>> since Thunderbird has a
    >>> manual and is more stable.

    >> OK I have dowloaded that now how do I install that myself?
    >> I unpacked the tar.gz file in a folder. I see an mozilla install.bin
    >> But it did not install.
    >> Must I use the terminal and "./configure" and "make" ?
    >> [...]

    > Repo gave you good advise. Just double-clicking on "install.sh" might
    > work, but I don't know. I've always installed from a terminal.

    I don't see an install.sh and there is no information about installing
    under linx on there website.

    What I do see is an "mozilla-installer-bin" what do I do with that?

    Edmund

  13. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Jul 9, 11:42 am, Edmund wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    > > On 07/08/2007 03:42 AM, Edmund wrote:

    > > Repo gave you good advise. Just double-clicking on "install.sh" might
    > > work, but I don't know. I've always installed from a terminal.

    > I don't see an install.sh and there is no information about installing
    > under linx on there website.
    >
    > What I do see is an "mozilla-installer-bin" what do I do with that?

    rm mozilla-installer-bin

    Start synaptics and install "iceape", as that IS mozilla web browser.
    iceweasel is firefox and icedove is thunderbird

    If you don't know what to di with mozilla-installer-bin, you should
    not use it untill you know your ways around a Linux and Debian-system.

    Good luck

    Jxn

  14. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On 07/09/2007 04:42 AM, Edmund wrote:

    > I don't see an install.sh and there is no information about installing
    > under linx on there website.
    >
    > What I do see is an "mozilla-installer-bin" what do I do with that?
    >
    > Edmund

    Read the README file in the unpacked directory.

    Since you are using Etch, you might have to also install the old C++
    compatibility library, libstdc++5.

  15. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:49:53 +0200, repo wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 05:26:01 -0700, Rodney wrote:
    >
    >> [snip]

    >> Are you saying that, in Pan, in the preferences, there is no option to
    >> "Download new headers and bodies from suscribed groups when starting
    >> Pan"? One wouldn't expect the maintainer to remove such a useful option
    >> when upgrading to a newer version. I'm posting this from sarge with Pan
    >> .14 and it's in this version.

    > I use Pan 0.131, and there is no option to download the body's, only
    > headers

    Oh, so you must be using the version directly from upstream, .131 is
    listed as a beta.

    So are you saying that the latest version of Pan doesn't cache message
    bodies? If so, the one the original poster mentioned, from the Debian
    repositoroies, might be the same. I don't understand why they would
    remove offline reading, the second sentence on the site describes Pan as
    an offline newsreader. If so, I guess I'll stay pinned to the stable
    version that I like. Is there a possibility that the option now is called
    something else?

    Thanks for the information.

    Rodney

  16. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:22:45 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > repo wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:42:48 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    >> do :
    >> chmod +x install.bin
    >> ./install.bin

    > Oops my mistake, in the thunderbird folder there is no install.bin there
    > is a "mozilla-installer-bin"
    > No idea what to do with it.

    chmod +x mozilla-installer.bin
    ../mozilla-installer.bin

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  17. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    repo wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:22:45 +0200, Edmund wrote:
    >
    >> repo wrote:

    >>> do :
    >>> chmod +x install.bin
    >>> ./install.bin

    >> Oops my mistake, in the thunderbird folder there is no install.bin there
    >> is a "mozilla-installer-bin"
    >> No idea what to do with it.
    >>

    > chmod +x mozilla-installer.bin
    > ./mozilla-installer.bin

    OK nothing happens ?

  18. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On 07/09/2007 02:46 PM, Edmund wrote:
    > repo wrote:

    >>> Oops my mistake, in the thunderbird folder there is no install.bin there
    >>> is a "mozilla-installer-bin"
    >>> No idea what to do with it.
    >>>

    >> chmod +x mozilla-installer.bin
    >> ./mozilla-installer.bin

    > OK nothing happens ?

    Read the README file in that directory.

    You need to be within X Windows and in an X terminal emulator first.
    Then invoke ./mozilla-installer (no .bin).

    Mozilla-installer is a shell script that sets up the environment so that
    mozilla-installer.bin can run.

  19. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    Mumia W. wrote:

    > On 07/09/2007 02:46 PM, Edmund wrote:
    >> repo wrote:

    >>> chmod +x mozilla-installer.bin
    >>> ./mozilla-installer.bin

    >> OK nothing happens ?
    >>

    > Read the README file in that directory.

    That doesn't help a bit:
    ------------------------
    For information about installing, running and configuring Thunderbird
    including a list of known issues and troubleshooting information,
    refer to: http://getthunderbird.com/releases/
    --------------------------------

    If I go there I get http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    with no help for linux installing anywhere.

    > You need to be within X Windows and in an X terminal emulator first.
    > Then invoke ./mozilla-installer (no .bin).

    OK what is an X Windows where do I find that and the same for the
    X terminal emulator???

    > Mozilla-installer is a shell script that sets up the environment so that
    > mozilla-installer.bin can run.

    How do I run that shell script?

  20. Re: Evolution / Pan problems

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:24:30 +0200, Edmund wrote:

    > Mumia W. wrote:

    >>> OK nothing happens ?
    >>>

    >> Read the README file in that directory.

    > That doesn't help a bit:
    > ------------------------
    > For information about installing, running and configuring Thunderbird
    > including a list of known issues and troubleshooting information, refer
    > to: http://getthunderbird.com/releases/ --------------------------------
    >
    > If I go there I get http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ with no
    > help for linux installing anywhere.
    >

    >> You need to be within X Windows and in an X terminal emulator first.
    >> Then invoke ./mozilla-installer (no .bin).

    > OK what is an X Windows where do I find that and the same for the X
    > terminal emulator???
    >>
    >> Mozilla-installer is a shell script that sets up the environment so
    >> that mozilla-installer.bin can run.

    > How do I run that shell script?

    Edmund, since this has become confusing, perhaps it is time for you to
    consider using the package manager (synaptic) that you are already
    familiar with to install Thunderbird (Icedove). {If you search the
    Internet you'll find lots about why the name change in Debian.} As I
    mentioned previously, that way the package manager will know about it
    being installed, put it in the necessary location for Debian and it will
    get security upgrades along with your other Debian packages. If you
    install manually as you are proposing, direct from Mozilla, then you'll
    have to keep it up-to-date manually because the package manager won't
    'know' about it being installed, are you sure that is what you want to do?
    There's nothing wrong with doing it that way as long as realise what is
    involved. This is what you would do if you absolutely *need* the latest
    and greatest version for some reason.

    Using the package manager would be an easy way to get your choice of
    newsreader application running and give you time to further research
    the Debian file structure, permissions and commands. Once you have good,
    consistant access to newsgroups it will be easy to come back with specific
    questions. In addition, once installed you'll be able to see where it is
    put in the file structure in the Debian way.

    There are usually more detailed step-by-step instructions with
    Windows executables, when they port for GNU/Linux developers expect the
    sys admin to have more knowledge and it usually is true. It's not hard
    but you just need a bit more experience. I find it easier to try and
    learn things when I'm not in a rush to get something working and much less
    frustrating.

    Rodney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast