Vid clips - Debian

This is a discussion on Vid clips - Debian ; I connect to the bbc website and can get the news video clip which plays ok but when I click a link on the site for another clip the player starts then stops with a stopped message...Anyone tell me what ...

  1. Vid clips

    I connect to the bbc website and can get the news video clip which plays
    ok but when I click a link on the site for another clip the player
    starts then stops with a stopped message...Anyone tell me what is wrong
    ?..I can play most other things videos,youtube no problem but not the
    clips from the bbc news site..

  2. Re: Vid clips

    On Jul 6, 12:43 pm, Ted wrote:
    > I connect to the bbc website and can get the news video clip which plays
    > ok but when I click a link on the site for another clip the player
    > starts then stops with a stopped message...Anyone tell me what is wrong
    > ?..I can play most other things videos,youtube no problem but not the
    > clips from the bbc news site..

    Would help if you gave an example URL. It would alsa be helpful if you
    told us what message you get.

    Now we practically know NOTHING about your problem.
    You question is as I would ask you "I also have a problem, could you
    help me". Not very usefull, wouldn't you say?

  3. Re: Vid clips

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:43:05 +0100, Ted wrote:

    > I connect to the bbc website and can get the news video clip which plays
    > ok but when I click a link on the site for another clip the player starts
    > then stops with a stopped message...Anyone tell me what is wrong ?..I can
    > play most other things videos,youtube no problem but not the clips from
    > the bbc news site..

    If I remember correctly, the BBC stuff is either Real or WMP format. Do
    you have the Realplayer plugin or the plugin for WMP and the necessary
    codecs? Which browser are you using?

    I agree with poster AJackson, more information is necessary to understand
    what problem you might be having. It might be helpful for you to read
    through this explanation of how to post questions to get the best
    answers, it's long but a very good explanation of how and why.

    Rodney

  4. Re: Vid clips

    I demand that Rodney may or may not have written...

    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:43:05 +0100, Ted wrote:
    >> I connect to the bbc website and can get the news video clip which plays
    >> ok but when I click a link on the site for another clip the player starts
    >> then stops with a stopped message...Anyone tell me what is wrong ?..I can
    >> play most other things videos,youtube no problem but not the clips from
    >> the bbc news site..

    > If I remember correctly, the BBC stuff is either Real or WMP format. Do
    > you have the Realplayer plugin or the plugin for WMP and the necessary
    > codecs? Which browser are you using?

    Which browser is in use may not be relevant. Which media player plugin(s) are
    present is likely to be much more relevant...

    Audio should be playable regardless of whether it's WMA or RealAudio. ffmpeg
    will handle WMA, and you'll probably need at least the codecs from RealPlayer
    for the RealAudio streams. The transports used, when I last checked, were MMS
    for WMA and RTSP for RealAudio.

    Video *may* be playable. RealVideo is always over RTSP; no problem with that,
    given the RealPlayer codecs. For WMV, MMS is used for the low-bandwidth
    streams, and RTSP for the high-bandwidth streams - but the server is
    WMServer, presumably Windows Media Server, which xine-lib doesn't recognise.

    Interestingly, using MMS (i.e. "mms:" instead of "rtsp:") for the
    high-bandwidth WMV streams *works*, or at least it did for the stream which
    I've just tried.

    [snip]
    | (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

    If you thought that today was bad, wait until you see what happens tomorrow.

  5. Re: Vid clips

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:59:42 +0100, Darren Salt wrote:

    > I demand that Rodney may or may not have written...
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:43:05 +0100, Ted wrote:
    >>> I connect to the bbc website and can get the news video clip which
    >>> plays ok but when I click a link on the site for another clip the
    >>> player starts then stops with a stopped message...Anyone tell me what
    >>> is wrong ?..I can play most other things videos,youtube no problem but
    >>> not the clips from the bbc news site..

    >> If I remember correctly, the BBC stuff is either Real or WMP format. Do
    >> you have the Realplayer plugin or the plugin for WMP and the necessary
    >> codecs? Which browser are you using?

    > Which browser is in use may not be relevant. Which media player plugin(s)
    > are present is likely to be much more relevant...
    >
    > Audio should be playable regardless of whether it's WMA or RealAudio.
    > ffmpeg will handle WMA, and you'll probably need at least the codecs from
    > RealPlayer for the RealAudio streams. The transports used, when I last
    > checked, were MMS for WMA and RTSP for RealAudio.
    >
    > Video *may* be playable. RealVideo is always over RTSP; no problem with
    > that, given the RealPlayer codecs. For WMV, MMS is used for the
    > low-bandwidth streams, and RTSP for the high-bandwidth streams - but the
    > server is WMServer, presumably Windows Media Server, which xine-lib
    > doesn't recognise.
    >
    > Interestingly, using MMS (i.e. "mms:" instead of "rtsp:") for the
    > high-bandwidth WMV streams *works*, or at least it did for the stream
    > which I've just tried.
    >
    > [snip]

    Gee Darin, do you really think Ted's going to understand this? Thus it may
    not be very helpful for him. It is usually a good idea to frame answers
    for the audience expected or whom you're trying to help. What you wrote
    might point a knowledgable person in the right direction but I sense Ted
    might need more basic help, he might not even have the necessary plugin
    installed. Stick around, you can help him with that, I've only listened to
    the audio stream, am by no means an expert.

    Rodney

+ Reply to Thread