Recommended console applications - Debian

This is a discussion on Recommended console applications - Debian ; Hello, I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console applications. My laptop is working well, using a combination of Etch, Xorg, ratpoison, and rxvt-unicode, and I'm looking for apps others find useful. Stuff I'm already using: ...

  1. Recommended console applications

    Hello,

    I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    applications. My laptop is working well, using a combination of Etch,
    Xorg, ratpoison, and rxvt-unicode, and I'm looking for apps others find
    useful.

    Stuff I'm already using:

    * Screen
    * Vim
    * Pine
    * mpg321
    * fIcy
    * Irssi
    * CenterICQ
    * Links2 (Ususally in graphics mode, since I'm using Xorg anyway...)

    Anyone got any other suggestions for console apps they find useful?

    - Kyle Cardoza
    --
    Faith does not, in fact, move mountains; it can't even cure diarrhea, or
    clear up acne. It certainly won't protect anyone from his own stupidity.

  2. Re: Recommended console applications

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 20:41:00 -0400,
    Kyle J Cardoza wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    > applications. My laptop is working well, using a combination of Etch,
    > Xorg, ratpoison, and rxvt-unicode, and I'm looking for apps others find
    > useful.
    >
    > Stuff I'm already using:
    >
    > * Screen
    > * Vim
    > * Pine
    > * mpg321
    > * fIcy
    > * Irssi
    > * CenterICQ
    > * Links2 (Ususally in graphics mode, since I'm using Xorg anyway...)
    >
    > Anyone got any other suggestions for console apps they find useful?

    I'm partial to slrn, but it looks like you're posting from Pine. Mutt
    can be useful for looking at old mailbox files, I'm not sure if Pine
    can do that. Midnight Commander (mc) can be useful.

    The question is a little vague. If you tell us what you still need,
    someone could probably suggest a textmode app.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, it's
    depressing." - Tara MacClay (BtVS)

  3. Re: Recommended console applications

    Kyle J Cardoza :

    > I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    > applications. My laptop is working well, using a combination of Etch,
    > Xorg, ratpoison, and rxvt-unicode, and I'm looking for apps others find
    > useful.

    I'm assuming what you really mean is some sort of mish-mash between
    small X apps (both graphical and ncurses based) and command line
    utils. Here's a few that I've found useful over the years.

    afio (a different sort of tar)
    catdoc
    bogofilter (lightweight Bayesian spam classifier)
    bzip2 (better compression for a price, includes bzless & bzcat)
    dict
    feh (graphics viewer)
    gnupg (crypto)
    hwinfo (everything you ever wanted to know about the HW)
    htop (more flexible top)
    jed & xjed (lighter weight emacs)
    lpr(ng) (CUPS be damned)
    mrxvt (rxvt with tabs)
    pydf (prettier df)
    pinfo (prettier info)
    localepurge (slim down locale data)
    ntp & ntp-simple (sync clock)
    maradns (caching dns server)
    w3m (text mode web browser)
    wget (www ftp)

    Besides these, look at Gkrellm. Do:

    aptitude search gkrell

    (no "m" in gkrellm) and you'll see all the plugins available for it as
    well. Gkrellm plus plugins is one of the richest apps I know.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292

  4. Re: Recommended console applications

    I have no specific requirements; I'm just looking for interesting or
    useful console apps. I figure I've got the whole web browser/text
    editor/mail/news/IM thing covered.

    I don't know, maybe a console app to read RSS/ATOM newsfeeds? That'd be
    pretty useful. Or perhaps something that will manage wireless network
    profiles (ESSID/WEP Key/etc.) for me.

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Michael C. wrote:

    > On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 20:41:00 -0400,
    > Kyle J Cardoza wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    >> applications. My laptop is working well, using a combination of Etch,
    >> Xorg, ratpoison, and rxvt-unicode, and I'm looking for apps others find
    >> useful.
    >>
    >> Stuff I'm already using:
    >>
    >> * Screen
    >> * Vim
    >> * Pine
    >> * mpg321
    >> * fIcy
    >> * Irssi
    >> * CenterICQ
    >> * Links2 (Ususally in graphics mode, since I'm using Xorg anyway...)
    >>
    >> Anyone got any other suggestions for console apps they find useful?
    >>

    > I'm partial to slrn, but it looks like you're posting from Pine. Mutt
    > can be useful for looking at old mailbox files, I'm not sure if Pine
    > can do that. Midnight Commander (mc) can be useful.
    >
    > The question is a little vague. If you tell us what you still need,
    > someone could probably suggest a textmode app.

  5. Re: Recommended console applications

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 07:49:53 -0400, Kyle J Cardoza wrote:

    > I don't know, maybe a console app to read RSS/ATOM newsfeeds? That'd be
    > pretty useful.

    newsbeuter

    > Or perhaps something that will manage wireless network
    > profiles (ESSID/WEP Key/etc.) for me.

    /etc/network/interfaces in combination with wpa_supplicant (for WPA),
    ifplugd, guessnet, ...

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/

  6. Re: Recommended console applications

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Kyle J Cardoza belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > * Screen
    > * Vim
    > * Pine
    > * mpg321
    > * fIcy
    > * Irssi
    > * CenterICQ
    > * Links2 (Ususally in graphics mode, since I'm using Xorg anyway...)

    wget: For retrieving URL's, or whole web sites (recursively).
    screen: Provides a virtual console that will keep running even if
    you log off, useful for building code at home and then
    checking progress at work, or for maintaining a reverse-ssh
    connection. (Oh, you mentioned that one!)
    make: And gcc, gdb, cgdb for coding.
    streamripper: For copying music from streaming radio to listen to in
    the car.
    find: Indispensible for finding and operating on files and
    directories.
    grep: For finding text.
    sed: Great for making the same edits to multiple files.
    enscript: Great for printing code, especially in two columns in
    landscaped mode.
    mkisofs: For mastering data CDs and DVDs.
    jack: For ripping CDs for playing in the car.
    growisofs: For mastering DVDs or burning pre-mastered DVDs.
    wodim: For burning CDs.
    tar: For packing up whole directories.
    aptitude: Instead of synaptics or apt-get.
    ssh: For remote encrypted console connections.
    mutt: Mail user agent (reader).
    fetchmail: For getting the mail.
    procmail: For processing the mail.
    spamassassin: For killing even more spam.
    transcode: For converting audio/video formats.
    sox: For converting audio formats.
    cfdisk: For partitioning new drives.
    eject: For ejecting CD/DVD without reaching for the button.
    fortune: Gives you a pithy quote, many databases of fortunes
    available, can also be used as a signature generator.
    mutella: console version of gnutella.
    timidity: console MIDI player.

    That's about all I see in my history list.

    Also, I tend to instantiate many GUI programs from the command line.
    It's faster than finding the menu entry. And writing small scripts to
    combine command-line apps into common operations is pretty simple.

    Oh, and my favorite multi-tabbed console is mrxvt. As featureful as
    konsole, gnome-terminal, or xfce4-terminal, but lighter. (Have to
    edit a config file though.)

    --
    The command-line rox!

  7. Re: Recommended console applications

    Kyle J Cardoza wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    > applications.

    Mutt, elinks, tin.

    --
    Saludos,
    Angel

  8. Re: Recommended console applications

    On 2007-07-07, Angel wrote:
    > Kyle J Cardoza wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    >> applications.

    > Mutt, elinks, tin.

    slrn

    --
    Look afar and see the end from the beginning.

  9. Re: Recommended console applications

    On 2007-07-05 Thu 20:41:00, Kyle J Cardoza wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    > applications. My laptop is working well, using a combination of Etch,
    > Xorg, ratpoison, and rxvt-unicode, and I'm looking for apps others find
    > useful.
    >
    > Stuff I'm already using:
    >
    > * Screen
    > * Vim
    > * Pine
    > * mpg321
    > * fIcy
    > * Irssi
    > * CenterICQ
    > * Links2 (Ususally in graphics mode, since I'm using Xorg anyway...)
    >
    > Anyone got any other suggestions for console apps they find useful?

    Sorry: this is long.

    wouldn't be enough for most people but it provides screen's detach
    feature without trying to be a terminal emulator. I couldn't live
    without vim. I use mutt for mail, though (along with msmtp, getmail, and
    procmail). mpg321, ogg123, mplayer, mp3blaster, mpd/ncmpc - all kinds of
    good audio apps, along with alsamixer (alsa-utils), of course.
    Definitely irssi. I actually use lynx when I need a console browser, but
    web browsing is about all I use a GUI for (iceape-browser).

    Some more or less random additional command-line/console apps:

    agrep - an 'approximate grep' tool. Ought to be useful, but I don't
    actually use it much
    bash - and the whole host of standard utilities, of course - sed, grep,
    awk, etc. (Hard to say what a 'standard' utility is, though - one
    man's standard is another man's esoteric and the various 'standards'
    contain a mishmash of each.)
    bc - calculator (what I think of as a standard tool, but is often
    neglected); great interactively (in a shell function called 'calc')
    or in scripts
    tar/bzip2 - more standard-ish stuff: best archive/compression programs
    cdparanoia - great for ripping CDs
    curl/wget - for various non-interactive downloads
    dialog - make UIs for scripts, which is useful in some cases
    file - ID files; should be standard
    htop - does for top what pinfo does for info (so I also echo someone's
    mention of pinfo, too)
    id3lib - contains some rudimentary tools which are useful for scripted
    handling of id3 metadata
    imagemagick - a suite of command line tools for handling graphics
    less - the pager I can't live without
    lsof - lists open files; isn't exactly standard, but should be close
    m4 - macro preprocessor; should be standard
    mc - it makes a decent simple visual ftp client as well as saving on
    'cd' commands
    rdate - can be handy in lieu of ntpd or whatever
    slrn - my newsreader
    snownews - my rss reader (it isn't all that, but it gets it done)
    netcat - (sometimes known as 'nc') can be invaluable
    rcs - because I'm a simple person with simple needs
    rlwrap - a readline wrapper for readline-less apps
    rsync - great for synchronizing filesystems and doing backups
    sc - a console spreadsheet
    {open,}sp - the included {o,}nsgmls is bound to a macro in vim which
    validates my html
    urlview - extract URLs from files
    wdiff - a 'word diff' tool. Like agrep, it seems like it ought to be
    useful, though I haven't used it much

    onsgmls opens up the whole can of worms of useful text processors, text
    converters, markup languages, etc. etc. from *roff to tex to sgml to
    xml and more, but this is too long already.

    As far as X stuff, I'll echo mrxvt, feh, and gkrellm. (For a less
    impressive, but lighter GUI sysinfo-type tool, there's torsmo/conky, but
    I prefer gkrellm.) And I'd add that I usually slap root-tail onto the
    root window and have xclip on call (with the right binding, xclip can be
    a sort of GUI urlview, among other things). And I stick all this in
    fvwm.

    Hope that helps at least as much as it bores.

  10. Re: Recommended console applications

    > rlwrap - a readline wrapper for readline-less apps

    slakmagik ....

    Thanks a BIG bunch for mentioning the rlwrap package
    which I didn't know about ....

    I've been trying to learn a bit of scheme programming
    using the mzscheme interpreter and its apparent lack
    of readline support was driving me bonkers ....

    Now as simple as ....

    $ rlwrap mzscheme

    --
    Stanley C. Kitching
    Human Being

  11. Re: Recommended console applications

    After takin' a swig o' grog, slakmagik belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > dialog - make UIs for scripts, which is useful in some cases
    > file - ID files; should be standard

    Forgot about those two!

    > imagemagick - a suite of command line tools for handling graphics

    Same!

    > rsync - great for synchronizing filesystems and doing backups

    A real brainsaver!

    > sc - a console spreadsheet

    Do you use it much, how do you like it? I like tools I can access
    remotely withtout firing up VNC or tunnelling X from work to home.

    > wdiff - a 'word diff' tool.

    I'll have to try that one.

    > As far as X stuff, I'll echo mrxvt, feh, and gkrellm. (For a less
    > impressive, but lighter GUI sysinfo-type tool, there's torsmo/conky, but
    > I prefer gkrellm.)

    The last time I tried torsmo, it was like 12% CPU usage.

    > Hope that helps at least as much as it bores.

    It's good geek fun.

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: Recommended console applications

    Kyle J Cardoza writes:

    > * Screen
    > * Vim
    > * Pine
    > * mpg321
    > * fIcy
    > * Irssi
    > * CenterICQ
    > * Links2 (Ususally in graphics mode, since I'm using Xorg anyway...)

    emacs,mutt,w3m,slrn,zgv

    --
    题目:《六月二十七日望湖楼醉书》
    作者:苏轼(1036*1101)

  13. Re: Recommended console applications

    On 2007-07-08 Sun 10:37:50, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, slakmagik belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> sc - a console spreadsheet

    > Do you use it much, how do you like it? I like tools I can access
    > remotely withtout firing up VNC or tunnelling X from work to home.

    I don't use it much, but it is handy and pretty nice to use.

    >> As far as X stuff, I'll echo mrxvt, feh, and gkrellm. (For a less
    >> impressive, but lighter GUI sysinfo-type tool, there's torsmo/conky, but
    >> I prefer gkrellm.)

    > The last time I tried torsmo, it was like 12% CPU usage.

    Hm, that's odd. Been awhile since I tried it, so I don't remember
    specifics, but that's probably some kind of bug. As just a kind of
    'drawing-text-on-the-screen' app vs. a GTK2 app, I remember it being
    light on a 400MHz/128MB machine.

    >> Hope that helps at least as much as it bores.

    > It's good geek fun.

    Good, I'm glad.

  14. Re: Recommended console applications

    On 2007-07-08 Sun 07:22:04, Cousin Stanley wrote:

    >> rlwrap - a readline wrapper for readline-less apps

    > slakmagik ....
    >
    > Thanks a BIG bunch for mentioning the rlwrap package
    > which I didn't know about ....
    >
    > I've been trying to learn a bit of scheme programming
    > using the mzscheme interpreter and its apparent lack
    > of readline support was driving me bonkers ....
    >
    > Now as simple as ....
    >
    > $ rlwrap mzscheme

    You're very welcome! Glad something in there helped out. Trying to do
    anything with an app without line editing is an exercise in frustration
    but trying to learn a language like that would be among the most
    frustrating.

  15. Re: Recommended console applications

    whereis
    top
    joe
    fortune

    --
    Magpie, n.:
    A bird whose theivish disposition suggested to someone that it

  16. Re: Recommended console applications

    On 2007-07-06, Kyle J Cardoza rambled on thusly:

    > I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for useful console
    > applications. My laptop is working well, using a combination of Etch,
    > Xorg, ratpoison, and rxvt-unicode, and I'm looking for apps others find
    > useful.

    ljcharm - posting to LiveJournal
    mutt - the best email client EVAR!!!
    mp3blaster - a cool, full-screen mp3/playlist player
    bittorrent
    abook - awesome little address book/PIM
    konsolekalendar - only useful if you use kontact/korganizer
    unison - sync two directories/filesystems

    --
    Michael Fierro (aka Biffster) biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    http://apt-get.biffster.org Y!: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1

+ Reply to Thread