Debian Size 21 CD's ???? - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian Size 21 CD's ???? - Debian ; Ooops, just found out I need to download 21 CD's for installing Debian? How can that be, that cannot be the OS allone ( I hope ). Can't I find a plain Debian somewhere and only install what I need? ...

  1. Debian Size 21 CD's ????

    Ooops, just found out I need to download 21 CD's for installing
    Debian? How can that be, that cannot be the OS allone ( I hope ).
    Can't I find a plain Debian somewhere and only install what I need?

    Thanks

    Edmund

  2. Re: Debian Size 21 CD's ????

    > Ooops, just found out I need to download 21 CD's
    > for installing Debian? How can that be, that cannot
    > be the OS allone ( I hope ).
    >
    > Can't I find a plain Debian somewhere and only install
    > what I need?

    Edmund ....

    The most convenient method to get Debian is probably
    to use the Minimal CD for a "network install" ....

    http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/netinst

    Using this method you download an .iso file,
    which is in the neighborhood of ~130 MB and
    burn it as a bootable image ....

    This will install a minimal Debian system
    and then whatever else you want/need gets
    installed from the internet using the Debian
    package manager ....

    The 21 CDs have everything that Debian
    has to offer which is over 18,000 packages
    and also includes the source code for all
    of it ....

    --
    Stanley C. Kitching
    Human Being

  3. Re: Debian Size 21 CD's ????

    Edmund writes:
    > Ooops, just found out I need to download 21 CD's for installing Debian?

    The packages are on the CDs in order of popularity with everything
    essential on the first one.

    > Can't I find a plain Debian somewhere and only install what I need?

    Download the first CD and install from it. You will then be able to
    install anything else you want over the Net. Debian includes tens of
    thousands of packages, most of which are of no interest to you (there is
    also source for all of the packages, which you probably don't want).

    Go to www.debian.org and read the installation instructions.
    --
    John Hasler

  4. Re: Debian Size 21 CD's ????

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:59:30 +0200
    Edmund wrote:

    > Ooops, just found out I need to download 21 CD's for installing
    > Debian? How can that be, that cannot be the OS allone ( I hope ).
    > Can't I find a plain Debian somewhere and only install what I need?

    You just need the first disc to get a running system with a reasonable
    amount of applications. The other discs are for additional stuff that
    you might need. Combined with a Net connection, the first disc is ample
    enough.

    If you want even smaller, just get the Network Install CD (about 160MB
    or so), which will install a bare minimum system, allowing you to grab
    other stuff from the Net to get things like X and a desktop environment.
    Heck, if you want, you could even install using two floppy discs.

    Graham

  5. Re: Debian Size 21 CD's ????

    I demand that John Hasler may or may not have written...

    > Edmund writes:
    >> Ooops, just found out I need to download 21 CD's for installing Debian?

    > The packages are on the CDs in order of popularity with everything
    > essential on the first one.

    >> Can't I find a plain Debian somewhere and only install what I need?

    > Download the first CD and install from it. [...]

    Just in case anybody's missed it: there are three "first CDs" to choose from
    - default (Gnome), KDE and Xfce.

    Then there's the businesscard image, the netinstall image and (if you look in
    "multi-arch", rather than "i386" or whatever) a couple of multi-arch
    netinstall images...

    | + At least 4000 million too many people. POPULATION LEVEL IS UNSUSTAINABLE.

    Houdini escaping from New Jersey!

  6. Re: Debian Size 21 CD's ????

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:18:53 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

    > Edmund writes:
    >> Ooops, just found out I need to download 21 CD's for installing Debian?

    > The packages are on the CDs in order of popularity with everything
    > essential on the first one.
    >
    >> Can't I find a plain Debian somewhere and only install what I need?

    > Download the first CD and install from it. You will then be able to
    > install anything else you want over the Net. Debian includes tens of
    > thousands of packages, most of which are of no interest to you (there is
    > also source for all of the packages, which you probably don't want).
    >
    > Go to www.debian.org and read the installation instructions.

    Done that and here I am!
    Thanks