Ubuntu>Debian - Debian

This is a discussion on Ubuntu>Debian - Debian ; Hi All, Recently I tried linux (again) in the form of Ubuntu. Now I like to try Debian since Ubuntu seems to be based on Debian. Is there an option in Debian to install it without a bootloader like some ...

  1. Ubuntu>Debian

    Hi All,

    Recently I tried linux (again) in the form of Ubuntu.
    Now I like to try Debian since Ubuntu seems to be based
    on Debian.
    Is there an option in Debian to install it without
    a bootloader like some other Linux flavors?
    I used the GAG bootmanager and I like that very much.
    In Ubuntu there is no such option.
    Can I uninstall Debian if I don't like it and is there
    a simple way to boot my other OS(es) after uninstalling
    Debian?

    Thanks

    Edmund

  2. Re: Ubuntu>Debian

    Edmund writes:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Recently I tried linux (again) in the form of Ubuntu.
    >Now I like to try Debian since Ubuntu seems to be based
    >on Debian.
    >Is there an option in Debian to install it without
    >a bootloader like some other Linux flavors?

    Sure. With the normal Debian installer, at one point it asks you if
    you want to install a boot loader (I think it now offers only GRUB).
    You can also see the various steps of the installer if you leave the
    regular sequence of installation steps at one point and "go back".

    >I used the GAG bootmanager and I like that very much.

    If that boot manager does not know how to boot Linux, you may want to
    install GRUB or LILO in one of the Linux partitions (rather than in
    the boot sector), and instruct the boot manager to just boot that
    partition.

    >Can I uninstall Debian if I don't like it

    That's as simple as reusing the Debian partitions for some other OS
    (or maybe resizing some other partition to consume the Debian
    partitions.

    > and is there
    >a simple way to boot my other OS(es) after uninstalling
    >Debian?

    That depends on the way you have set up the boot loaders. If you use
    some boot loader you have installed before Debian, then it should
    continue to work after you have overwritten Debian. If you install
    GRUB or LILO with Debian and use that as boot manager, then you will
    want to keep the GRUB or LILO boot partition (additional code and data
    used by the boot loader is kept there), if you want to continue too
    boot with this boot loader. Or you can just install another boot
    manager before you reuse the boot partition.

    - anton

  3. Re: Ubuntu>Debian

    Edmund wrote:

    > Is there an option in Debian to install it without
    > a bootloader like some other Linux flavors?
    > I used the GAG bootmanager and I like that very much.

    > In Ubuntu there is no such option.

    You must mean "I didn't find such option". It is on alternate CD in
    text-based install. As it is an most distros having "expert" install mode,
    Debian amongst them.

    --
    Pawe³ Kraszewski
    www.kraszewscy.net

  4. Re: Ubuntu>Debian

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:51:23 +0200, PaweĊ‚ Kraszewski wrote:

    > You must mean "I didn't find such option". It is on alternate CD in
    > text-based install. As it is an most distros having "expert" install mode,
    > Debian amongst them.

    Yep that's what I ment :-)

  5. Re: Ubuntu>Debian

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:51:53 +0000, Anton Ertl wrote:

    install another boot
    > manager before you reuse the boot partition.
    >
    > - anton

    Thank you