Newbie - Debian

This is a discussion on Newbie - Debian ; I nstalled debian 31r_5 386 on my emachine, K7 Sempron. It did not find my internet connection, and did not open to a desktop. I need somewhere to start and learn. I get ~$ as a prompt, but I don't ...

  1. Newbie

    I nstalled debian 31r_5 386 on my emachine, K7 Sempron. It did not
    find my internet connection, and did not open to a desktop. I need
    somewhere to start and learn. I get ~$ as a prompt, but I don't have a
    clue what to enter next. Sounds like time for Linux for Dummies.
    Somebody get me to a desktop and perhaps a help screen, please.

  2. Re: Newbie

    I demand that tg may or may not have written...

    > I nstalled debian 31r_5 386 on my emachine, K7 Sempron.

    [snip]
    > Somebody get me to a desktop and perhaps a help screen, please.

    While there's no reason why that shouldn't work, barring unsupported hardware
    (at the time of the release of 3.1), you should try again with 4.0.

    | + Buy local produce. Try to walk or cycle. TRANSPORT CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    The cart has no place where a fifth wheel could be used.

  3. Re: Newbie

    tg wrote:
    > I nstalled debian 31r_5 386 on my emachine, K7 Sempron. It did not
    > find my internet connection, and did not open to a desktop. I need
    > somewhere to start and learn. I get ~$ as a prompt, but I don't have a
    > clue what to enter next. Sounds like time for Linux for Dummies.
    > Somebody get me to a desktop and perhaps a help screen, please.

    First question is, If you don't know what to do at the command line how
    do you know it didn't see your network connection?

    Depending on how you installed, Try typing "startx" and see what happens
    if it says you don't have permission login as root OR type "sudo
    startx". If you have the X server installed and a one of the GUI
    desktops this should take you to a graphical login screen.

    Starting with a more newbie friendly version may be of help as well such
    as Ubuntu, Mepis, OpenSUSE, PClinuxOS, etc....

    I would say I'm an advanced newbie but thats what I can offer at my
    level. Maybe some of the more experienced people here have a better
    suggestions.

    Devlin

    -= Have you ever noticed how fast Windows runs? Neither have I...... =-

  4. Re: Newbie

    tg wrote:
    > I nstalled debian 31r_5 386 on my emachine, K7 Sempron. It did not
    > find my internet connection, and did not open to a desktop. I need
    > somewhere to start and learn. I get ~$ as a prompt, but I don't have a
    > clue what to enter next. Sounds like time for Linux for Dummies.
    > Somebody get me to a desktop and perhaps a help screen, please.

    Why not try Sidux...It is a live cd so you can see what it is like
    before you install...It is based on Debian Sid ..I have installed it on
    several boxes with no problems..The sidux irc is second to none and all
    the users seem very helpful and friendly, akso the Sidux nmanual on
    their site is really good...

  5. Re: Newbie

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:38:25 +0000, tg wrote:

    > I nstalled debian 31r_5 386 on my emachine, K7 Sempron. It did not find
    > my internet connection, and did not open to a desktop. I need somewhere
    > to start and learn. I get ~$ as a prompt, but I don't have a clue what
    > to enter next. Sounds like time for Linux for Dummies. Somebody get me
    > to a desktop and perhaps a help screen, please.

    As has been mentioned, you'd likely have better luck, more easily, with
    4.0 (Etch, stable).

    My guess would be that you didn't option the installer to install a
    desktop when you installed Sarge. That ~$ prompt is the command line in
    your home directory. It would be possible to do a baseconfig from where
    you are but at this point in history it might be easier for you to install
    4.0, rather than the older version. Etch has an improved installer that
    most new users find easier to use.

    As to your actual question, there are lots of good tutorials and sites for
    beginers. I will mention one, other posters will probably add more for you
    to choose from. If you take time to follow through one of them you will
    get a good start in understanding Debian GNU/Linux.
    http://www.aboutdebian.com/

    If you really want to learn GNU/Linux slowly and 'from the ground up',
    search for Linux from scratch, LFS.

    Good luck,
    Rodney

  6. Re: Newbie

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:37:34 +0000, devlin wrote:
    [edit]
    > OR type "sudo startx".
    > If you have the X server installed and a one of the GUI desktops this
    > should take you to a graphical login screen.

    This isn't correct, a default Debian install does not put the user in the
    sudoers, so that command will fail. Some of the distros that are trying to
    'make things easier for the user" do include the user automagically as
    a sudoer but there are some security related issues with that, as there
    always are with the difference between ease-of-use and secure.

    Rodney

  7. Re: Newbie

    On 2007-07-04, tg wrote:
    > I nstalled debian 31r_5 386 on my emachine, K7 Sempron. It did not
    > find my internet connection, and did not open to a desktop. I need
    > somewhere to start and learn. I get ~$ as a prompt, but I don't have a
    > clue what to enter next. Sounds like time for Linux for Dummies.
    > Somebody get me to a desktop and perhaps a help screen, please.

    I had the same experience as you installing Debian Sarge, if you type startx
    (at least with my install) it started a rudimentary desktop that you could
    access the menu by clicking on the desktop. However, couldn't get the
    wireless utility to recognize my atheros pcmcia card, and so couldn't dl KDE
    or Gnome. I had better results with Xandros, and I've heard good things
    about K/Ubuntu as far as easy installs.

    RH
    --
    You will be traveling and coming into a fortune.

+ Reply to Thread