Slow linux - Debian

This is a discussion on Slow linux - Debian ; Hi, I've 2 computers. I've installed linux on the first computer successfully. I want to put the hard drive disk on the second computer. It works but it is very very slow... How can I solve the problem? Thank you ...

  1. Slow linux

    Hi,

    I've 2 computers.
    I've installed linux on the first computer successfully.
    I want to put the hard drive disk on the second computer. It works but
    it is very very slow...
    How can I solve the problem?

    Thank you for your help

    PS : I can't install linux directly on the second computer.

  2. Re: Slow linux

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:39:38 +0200, Guillaume wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've 2 computers.
    > I've installed linux on the first computer successfully. I want to put
    > the hard drive disk on the second computer. It works but it is very very
    > slow...
    > How can I solve the problem?

    Well, if this second computer is the PII 300 that you mentioned previously
    then it is going to be slow, especially if you've installed one of the
    resource hungry desktop environments like KDE or Gnome. This will be true
    even if it has lots of memory (you didn't say how much). You need to get
    in the habit of providing more information if you want others to be better
    able to help or advise you. What it is you've installed on what computer,
    is critical information for a question such as you've asked above. There
    is not just one answer for the question, why slow? It might not even be a
    problem, it might be normal for that specific configuration.

    It would be a good idea for you to have a look at:

    > Thank you for

    your help

    > PS : I can't install linux directly on the second computer.

    Well, you never answered poster AJackson in your previous question about
    this topic, when you were asked for more information about that computer.
    There would very likely be a way to install directly if you would have the
    patience to follow troubleshooting suggestions. If you describe your
    equipment well and post the output you receive from some commands, someone
    here might be able to help you get it to boot. But, you seemed to have
    moved on and have the system installed now with a method that worked for
    you. Okay, if you now describe the computer better and perhaps even what
    you want to use it for, people will probably have suggestions for how to
    optimise the way you use it. Without information, all anyone can do is
    guess.

    Rodney

  3. Re: Slow linux

    But both computers are PII 300Mhz, and PII can run linux without any
    problems.

    Thanks.

    PS : X is not installed.
    It is not possible to install linux directly because ISOLINUX is not
    compatible with the BIOS of the mainboard...
    I tried also with floppy disks...

    Rodney wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:39:38 +0200, Guillaume wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've 2 computers.
    >> I've installed linux on the first computer successfully. I want to put
    >> the hard drive disk on the second computer. It works but it is very very
    >> slow...
    >> How can I solve the problem?
    >>

    > Well, if this second computer is the PII 300 that you mentioned previously
    > then it is going to be slow, especially if you've installed one of the
    > resource hungry desktop environments like KDE or Gnome. This will be true
    > even if it has lots of memory (you didn't say how much). You need to get
    > in the habit of providing more information if you want others to be better
    > able to help or advise you. What it is you've installed on what computer,
    > is critical information for a question such as you've asked above. There
    > is not just one answer for the question, why slow? It might not even be a
    > problem, it might be normal for that specific configuration.
    >
    > It would be a good idea for you to have a look at:
    >

    >> Thank you for

    > your help
    >> PS : I can't install linux directly on the second computer.

    > Well, you never answered poster AJackson in your previous question about
    > this topic, when you were asked for more information about that computer.
    > There would very likely be a way to install directly if you would have the
    > patience to follow troubleshooting suggestions. If you describe your
    > equipment well and post the output you receive from some commands, someone
    > here might be able to help you get it to boot. But, you seemed to have
    > moved on and have the system installed now with a method that worked for
    > you. Okay, if you now describe the computer better and perhaps even what
    > you want to use it for, people will probably have suggestions for how to
    > optimise the way you use it. Without information, all anyone can do is
    > guess.
    >
    > Rodney

  4. Re: Slow linux

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:28:53 +0200, Guillaume Charhon wrote:

    > But both computers are PII 300Mhz, and PII can run linux without any
    > problems.

    All the more reason to give a detailed description of both computers, so
    someone can get an idea of what to check next. Or, if you don't want to do
    that, try to determine what is different yourself. At what point in the
    boot process does it slow down? Is it searching for a network, ...or,
    ....or, ...or? Any difference in the dmesg log of the two computers?
    And again I remind you of poster AJackson's questions to your previous
    inquiry. Answers to those would give what modules are loaded, what cards
    are there, how much memory, etc. All of that information can be useful for
    troubleshooting. Just saying PII, doesn't tell much.

    > PS : X is not installed.
    > It is not possible to install linux directly because ISOLINUX is not
    > compatible with the BIOS of the mainboard... I tried also with floppy
    > disks...

    Yes, but no one except you knew this information until now.

    I have done an install on a machine with a non-booting CDROM BIOS by
    booting from a Smart Boot Manager floppy and when the menu appears,
    choosing to boot from CDROM (this overcomes the fact that the BIOS is too
    old to boot from CDROM). Maybe you could have done the same. As has been
    mentioned to you previously, it is odd for computers not to be able to
    boot from floppy (what you wrote in the previous question about your
    system).

    Rodney

    [snip]

  5. Re: Slow linux

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:28:53 +0200, Guillaume Charhon wrote:

    > But both computers are PII 300Mhz, and PII can run linux without any
    > problems.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS : X is not installed.
    > It is not possible to install linux directly because ISOLINUX is not
    > compatible with the BIOS of the mainboard...
    > I tried also with floppy disks...

    A P2 300 will not run one of the heavyweight desktops like Gnome or KDE
    very well. You should be looking at 'lighter' desktops like XFCE or
    Enlightenment. I've installed Elive on a P166 with 64mb and it ran
    'nicely'. Not super fast, but bearable.

  6. Re: Slow linux

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:37:43 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:28:53 +0200, Guillaume Charhon wrote:
    >
    >> But both computers are PII 300Mhz, and PII can run linux without any
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> PS : X is not installed.
    >> It is not possible to install linux directly because ISOLINUX is not
    >> compatible with the BIOS of the mainboard... I tried also with floppy
    >> disks...

    > A P2 300 will not run one of the heavyweight desktops like Gnome or KDE
    > very well. You should be looking at 'lighter' desktops like XFCE or
    > Enlightenment. I've installed Elive on a P166 with 64mb and it ran
    > 'nicely'. Not super fast, but bearable.

    But Ray, he just wrote X is not installed, he's not using a DE. Going to
    have to do stuff the CLI way.

    Rodney

  7. Re: Slow linux

    Guillaume wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've 2 computers.
    > I've installed linux on the first computer successfully.
    > I want to put the hard drive disk on the second computer. It works but
    > it is very very slow...
    > How can I solve the problem?

    Have you tried configuring your BIOS on the second computer? It may be a
    matter of setting the right settings for the harddrive, which usually
    can be done automatically in the BIOS and then saved.

    --
    Dawid Michalczyk
    http://www.comp.eonworks.com _Linux SysAdmin and Webmaster scripts_

+ Reply to Thread