Synaptic - Debian

This is a discussion on Synaptic - Debian ; Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software, is it automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides Debian and Ubuntu? -Pete...

  1. Synaptic

    Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software, is it
    automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides Debian and
    Ubuntu?
    -Pete

  2. Re: Synaptic

    Pete schrieb:
    > Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software, is it
    > automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides Debian and
    > Ubuntu?
    > -Pete

    whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    only included in Debian based Distributions.

  3. Re: Synaptic

    "Patrick Lions" wrote in message

    > Pete schrieb:
    >> Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software, is
    >> it automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides
    >> Debian and Ubuntu?
    >> -Pete

    > whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    > KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    > only included in Debian based Distributions.

    Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.

    ps:
    I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast,
    rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

  4. Re: Synaptic

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Pete belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Patrick Lions" wrote in message
    >
    >>> Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software, is
    >>> it automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides
    >>> Debian and Ubuntu?
    >>> -Pete

    >> whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    >> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    >> only included in Debian based Distributions.

    > Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.
    >
    > ps:
    > I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast,
    > rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

    aptitude is a text-box based version of synaptic, very useful over a
    remote connection where you don't want to run a gui (though I use it
    locally, too).

    Try dselect sometime -- that one takes a lot of getting used to!!!

    I would definitely read up on apt-get, though. Sometimes the command
    line will really help you out in a pinch.

    --
    [ Intel Trusted Computing Module Inside ]

  5. Re: Synaptic

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:52 -0400, Pete wrote:

    >> whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    >> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    >> only included in Debian based Distributions.

    > Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.

    Ummmm, yeah, OK.

    > ps:
    > I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast,
    > rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

    That's because you're a clueless Win-droid.

    See?

  6. Re: Synaptic

    I demand that Linonut may or may not have written...

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Pete belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    [snip]
    >> ps: I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept,
    >> yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

    > aptitude is a text-box based version of synaptic, very useful over a remote
    > connection where you don't want to run a gui (though I use it locally,
    > too).

    Hmm. Are you saying that synaptic now tracks which packages were installed
    automatically and will remove them if no other installed packages need them?

    > Try dselect sometime -- that one takes a lot of getting used to!!!

    apt-get's nicer :-)

    > I would definitely read up on apt-get, though. Sometimes the command line
    > will really help you out in a pinch.

    aptitude does that too (unless you want to download source or build
    dependencies).

    | Let's keep the pound sterling

    A tidy desk is a sign of a sick mind.

  7. Re: Synaptic

    On Jun 4, 8:40 pm, Dan C wrote:

    > That's because you're a clueless Win-droid.

    Please ignore Dan C's attempts to start flame wares. Just ignore his
    non-helpful comments.

  8. Re: Synaptic

    On Jun 4, 8:11 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Pete belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    Synaptic is based on apt, as other .deb-package installation tools
    like apt-get, aptitude and dselect etc.
    I only use aptitude and synaptics. I don't remember which debian
    package tool is used by KDE.

    By the way, there are more distibutions then Debian (original deb
    distribution) and ubuntu that uses deb-packages.
    So if you want to use synaptics, you still can chose another
    distribution. As long as it isnt based on any other package format,
    like rpm, tgz etc...

    > >> whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    > >> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    > >> only included in Debian based Distributions.

    > > Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.

    This is why you use Debian-based distributions. Becouse of the
    package system (and packing policy)

    > aptitude is a text-box based version of synaptic, very useful over a
    > remote connection where you don't want to run a gui (though I use it
    > locally, too).
    >
    > Try dselect sometime -- that one takes a lot of getting used to!!!

    I use aptitude as text based "graphical" system, but also as a more
    modern veion of apt-get. So every where I see use of apt-get, I just
    exchange it with aptitude. Works great.

    You could use dselcet, but it is obsoleted by aptitude.

    Good luck

  9. Re: Synaptic

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:52 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > "Patrick Lions" wrote in message
    >>

    >> Pete schrieb:
    >>> Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software, is
    >>> it automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides
    >>> Debian and Ubuntu?
    >>> -Pete

    >> whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    >> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    >> only included in Debian based Distributions.

    > Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.

    No - it's included in other Debian derivatives, as well - Knoppix, Elive, . . .

    > ps:
    > I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast,
    > rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

  10. Re: Synaptic

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:52 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > "Patrick Lions" wrote in message
    >>

    >> Pete schrieb:
    >>> Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software,
    >>> is it automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides
    >>> Debian and Ubuntu?
    >>> -Pete

    >> whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    >> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic
    >> is only included in Debian based Distributions.

    > Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.
    >
    > ps:
    > I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast,
    > rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

    Pete, dpkg is the package maintenance system for Debian GNU/Linux. Thus,
    as someone has already mentioned, derivatives are likely going to have it
    and some distros may even provide yet another front-end that is
    specifically suited to the distro.

    Apt is a front-end for dpkg to make installing and removing easier.
    Aptitude, adept, synaptic are front-ends for apt, with the last two being
    GUI, The DD's keep trying to make things easier for us. Kpackage is a KDE
    GUI front-end that can do rpm's (i.e. Red Hat, Slackware packages) as well
    as deb's without having to use alien separately on the package. Note: Lots
    more information in the man pages for each front-end and they are in the
    language of your choice.

    As of the release of etch (Debian 4.0), aptitude is the recommended,
    terminal-based front end to use for package management.

    When you are using a GUI in X, there can be some danger when you try to
    dist-upgrade or upgrade X itself. So, if you are going to continue with
    Debian GNU/Linux it would be a good idea to become familiar with all of
    them so you can choose which one works best for you in your situation.

    Rodney

  11. Re: Synaptic

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:11:57 GMT, Linonut wrote:

    > aptitude is a text-box based version of synaptic, very useful over a
    > remote connection where you don't want to run a gui (though I use it
    > locally, too).

    [..]

    > I would definitely read up on apt-get, though. Sometimes the command
    > line will really help you out in a pinch.

    aptitude can be used on the command line almost identically like
    apt-get (and is supposed to do better dependency handling).

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/

  12. Re: Synaptic

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:11:57 +0000, Linonut wrote:

    > aptitude is a text-box based version of synaptic, very useful over a
    > remote connection where you don't want to run a gui (though I use it
    > locally, too).
    >
    > Try dselect sometime -- that one takes a lot of getting used to!!!
    >
    > I would definitely read up on apt-get, though. Sometimes the command
    > line will really help you out in a pinch.

    Syanaptic Package manager is really easy to use, front end for dpkg.
    --
    "Their line is gone out through all the earth and their words to the end of
    the world."

    Rockinghorse Winner

  13. Re: Synaptic

    Rockinghorse Winner writes:
    > Syanaptic Package manager is really easy to use, front end for dpkg.

    No. Front-end for the apt library, which sits on top of dpkg. Other Apt
    front-ends are atp-get and aptitude.
    --
    John Hasler

  14. Re: Synaptic

    Patrick Lions wrote:

    > Pete schrieb:
    >> Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software,
    >> is it automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides
    >> Debian and Ubuntu?
    >> -Pete

    > whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    > KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    > only included in Debian based Distributions.

    Synaptic is used in PClinuxOS as well which is Mandrake (Mandriva) based
    (RPM). You can also I believe install it in OpenSuSE.

    Devlin

  15. Re: Synaptic

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:52 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > "Patrick Lions" wrote in message
    >>

    >> Pete schrieb:
    >>> Since synaptic is the only way I know to install/uninstall software, is
    >>> it automatically included in the major distributions? Which besides
    >>> Debian and Ubuntu?
    >>> -Pete

    >> whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    >> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    >> only included in Debian based Distributions.

    > Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.

    No. There are other Debain based distros which normally include it as well
    e.g. knoppix, elive . . .

    > ps:
    > I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast,
    > rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

  16. Re: Synaptic

    On 2007-06-24, ray rambled on thusly:
    > On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:52 -0400, Pete wrote:

    >>> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    >>> only included in Debian based Distributions.

    >> Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.

    > No. There are other Debain based distros which normally include it as well
    > e.g. knoppix, elive . . .

    Kubuntu. Synaptic (as the name implies) is an apt-based utility. Apt
    normally implies .deb packages. So for the most part, the only platform
    you'll find Synaptic on is a .deb-based distro. Redhat and its derivatives
    are rpm-based, Pete.

    --
    Michael Fierro (aka Biffster) biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    http://apt-get.biffster.org Y!: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1

  17. Re: Synaptic

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:35:53 -0500, Michael Fierro wrote:

    > Synaptic (as the name implies) is an apt-based utility. Apt
    > normally implies .deb packages. So for the most part, the only platform
    > you'll find Synaptic on is a .deb-based distro. Redhat and its derivatives
    > are rpm-based, Pete.

    I ran Synaptic on Fedora Core 1 back when that was the latest thing.

    Synaptic is well designed enough to work with different package formats,
    so long as the dependency information can be untangled.

  18. Re: Synaptic

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.06.04.18.40.38.606324@lan.invalid...
    > On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:52 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >
    >>> whats about aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast, rpm, smart, zen-installer,
    >>> KPackager? Do you know these ones? I dont even use synaptic. Synaptic is
    >>> only included in Debian based Distributions.

    >> Sh*t, I guess I'm stuck with Debian and Ubuntu.

    > Ummmm, yeah, OK.
    >
    >> ps:
    >> I speak all languages except Greek, and aptitude, apt-get, adept, yast,
    >> rpm, smart, zen-installer, KPackager are Greek to me. :-)

    > That's because you're a clueless Win-droid.

    > See?
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Ahh, another Linux asshole

  19. Re: Synaptic

    On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 01:21:48 +0200,
    gregor herrmann wrote:

    > > I would definitely read up on apt-get, though. Sometimes the
    > > command line will really help you out in a pinch.

    > aptitude can be used on the command line almost identically like
    > apt-get (and is supposed to do better dependency handling).

    I haven't used aptitude personally, I've always just used dselect and
    apt-get/dpkg directly...

    But being a Debian/unstable user, I have noticed that dselect seems to
    handle curly cases far better than synaptic. It just seems to slowly
    bloat your package selection due to not tracking which packages were
    added purely due to being dependencies or recommends/suggests of other
    packages.

    Fredderic

  20. Re: Synaptic

    On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 03:51:10 +1000, Fredderic wrote:

    > But being a Debian/unstable user, I have noticed that dselect seems to
    > handle curly cases far better than synaptic. It just seems to slowly
    > bloat your package selection due to not tracking which packages were
    > added purely due to being dependencies or recommends/suggests of other
    > packages.

    The new apt (and therefore apt-get) should do this (as aptitude has
    been doing since years); no idea if synaptic has it's own
    implementation of dependencies/automatically installed packages or if
    it uses just libapt.

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4