Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible? - Debian

This is a discussion on Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible? - Debian ; I recently built a computer and installed Debian on SATA1, later I added second HDD on SATA2 and installed Vista. So I have debian on /dev/sda1 and Vista on /dev/sdb1. Installing Vista wiped out grub so I could no longer ...

  1. Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible?

    I recently built a computer and installed Debian on
    SATA1, later I added second HDD on SATA2 and
    installed Vista. So I have debian on /dev/sda1 and
    Vista on /dev/sdb1.

    Installing Vista wiped out grub so I could no longer
    get to Debian. So I used a Knoppix disk to reinstall
    Grub.

    So now I have Debian working, but if I try to boot
    into Vista I get "bootmgr is missing". I did a Google
    on that one and it looks new to Vista as it is not there
    for XP.

  2. Re: Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible?

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:17:34 -0500, tom wrote:

    > I recently built a computer and installed Debian on
    > SATA1, later I added second HDD on SATA2 and
    > installed Vista. So I have debian on /dev/sda1 and
    > Vista on /dev/sdb1.
    >
    > Installing Vista wiped out grub so I could no longer
    > get to Debian. So I used a Knoppix disk to reinstall
    > Grub.
    >
    > So now I have Debian working, but if I try to boot
    > into Vista I get "bootmgr is missing". I did a Google
    > on that one and it looks new to Vista as it is not there
    > for XP.

    You simply need to put a stanza for MS in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    Use chainloader.

  3. Re: Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible?

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.05.08.21.44.16.339651@zianet.com...
    > On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:17:34 -0500, tom wrote:
    >
    >> I recently built a computer and installed Debian on
    >> SATA1, later I added second HDD on SATA2 and
    >> installed Vista. So I have debian on /dev/sda1 and
    >> Vista on /dev/sdb1.
    >>
    >> Installing Vista wiped out grub so I could no longer
    >> get to Debian. So I used a Knoppix disk to reinstall
    >> Grub.
    >>
    >> So now I have Debian working, but if I try to boot
    >> into Vista I get "bootmgr is missing". I did a Google
    >> on that one and it looks new to Vista as it is not there
    >> for XP.

    > You simply need to put a stanza for MS in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    > Use chainloader.

    I should have added that I made the appropriate
    additions to grub. It is not so simple.

  4. Re: Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible?

    On Tue, 8 May 2007 16:49:17 -0500, tom wrote:

    >>> So I have debian on /dev/sda1 and
    >>> Vista on /dev/sdb1.

    >> You simply need to put a stanza for MS in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    >> Use chainloader.

    > I should have added that I made the appropriate
    > additions to grub. It is not so simple.

    I seem to remember that Windows, when installed on the second drive,
    needs to be tricked into believing it's on the first harddisk
    (otherwise the Windows bootloader will fail). Don't know if this
    holds still true for Vista.

    From my archive (note the "map" stuff at the bottom):

    #v+

    title windoof
    root (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    savedefault
    chainloader +1
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)

    #v-

    If this doesn't help you could try to swap the disks; or show us your
    Windows stanza from /boot/grub/menu.lst

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/

  5. Re: Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible?

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 16:49:17 -0500, tom wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.05.08.21.44.16.339651@zianet.com...
    >> On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:17:34 -0500, tom wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently built a computer and installed Debian on
    >>> SATA1, later I added second HDD on SATA2 and
    >>> installed Vista. So I have debian on /dev/sda1 and
    >>> Vista on /dev/sdb1.
    >>>
    >>> Installing Vista wiped out grub so I could no longer
    >>> get to Debian. So I used a Knoppix disk to reinstall
    >>> Grub.
    >>>
    >>> So now I have Debian working, but if I try to boot
    >>> into Vista I get "bootmgr is missing". I did a Google
    >>> on that one and it looks new to Vista as it is not there
    >>> for XP.

    >> You simply need to put a stanza for MS in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    >> Use chainloader.
    >>

    > I should have added that I made the appropriate
    > additions to grub. It is not so simple.

    Might help if you gave us the menu.lst file.

  6. Re: Is Vista and Debian dual boot possible?

    tom wrote:
    > "ray" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.05.08.21.44.16.339651@zianet.com...
    >> On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:17:34 -0500, tom wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently built a computer and installed Debian on
    >>> SATA1, later I added second HDD on SATA2 and
    >>> installed Vista. So I have debian on /dev/sda1 and
    >>> Vista on /dev/sdb1.
    >>>
    >>> Installing Vista wiped out grub so I could no longer
    >>> get to Debian. So I used a Knoppix disk to reinstall
    >>> Grub.
    >>>
    >>> So now I have Debian working, but if I try to boot
    >>> into Vista I get "bootmgr is missing". I did a Google
    >>> on that one and it looks new to Vista as it is not there
    >>> for XP.

    >> You simply need to put a stanza for MS in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    >> Use chainloader.
    >>

    > I should have added that I made the appropriate
    > additions to grub. It is not so simple.

    I haven't tried just the two, but I had a dual XP/Linux machine
    and added Vista.

    hda1 Manufacturer's recovery partition, not touched or used
    hda2 XP (bootable)
    hda3 Vista
    hda4 ext
    hda5 Linux

    Relevant stanza:

    title Windows XP/Vista
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    The Vista boot manager is significantly different from the
    old NT boot.ini type used by XP. It added itself to the XP
    partition and trampled the MBR. Restoring grub, then adding
    that stanza seemed to work. I can't recall anything else
    being necessary.

    Probably the Vista bootloader could be made to run Linux, it
    seems very versatile, but you need a utility to hack it. Even
    changing the name it gave to XP took me a while to figure out.

+ Reply to Thread