ripping MP3's - Debian

This is a discussion on ripping MP3's - Debian ; Using etch (x86) and had sound juicer set up to rip CD's to MP3 for my Nomad which only reads MP3. Now that I've switched to Debian from Ubuntu I haven't the repos for liblame0 from Debian. I can use ...

  1. ripping MP3's

    Using etch (x86) and had sound juicer set up to rip CD's to MP3 for my
    Nomad which only reads MP3. Now that I've switched to Debian from
    Ubuntu I haven't the repos for liblame0 from Debian. I can use
    deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis...ian-multimedia
    stable main

    .... but am uncertain is this is the best route as I don't have a public
    key for that site.

    How else have you all handled this MP3 ripping issue here in the
    States?

    Thank you,
    --
    sk8-365

  2. Re: ripping MP3's

    On May 2, 6:04 am, sk8-365 wrote:
    > Using etch (x86) and had sound juicer set up to rip CD's to MP3 for my
    > Nomad which only reads MP3. Now that I've switched to Debian from
    > Ubuntu I haven't the repos for liblame0 from Debian. I can use
    > debhttp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian-multimedia
    > stable main

    I use that to. Have a look at http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ for
    the best mirror site four you.

    I also put these two files in /etc/apt/source.list.d/ so I don't need
    to edit /etc/apt/sources.list, just manage files instead.

    #
    # Extra multimedia packages Debian
    # from http://www.debian-multimedia.org/
    #
    ##############################
    #
    # Etch: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/30-debian-multimedia.org.list
    #
    # Need to add key for debian-multimedia
    # sudo aptitude install package debian-multimedia-keyring
    #
    # OR Add key for a repository
    # gpg --recv-keys
    # gpg --export | sudo apt-key add -
    #
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

    # Mirror:
    #deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis...ian-multimedia
    etch main
    #deb-src http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis...ian-multimedia
    etch main

    #
    # eof
    #

    and

    #
    # Debian volatile packages
    # from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-volatile/
    #
    ##############################
    #
    # Etch /etc/apt/sources.list.d/10-debian-volatile.list
    #
    # Need to add key for debian-volatile
    # Add key for a repository
    # gpg --recv-keys
    # gpg --export | sudo apt-key add -
    #
    #deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    contrib non-free
    #deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    contrib non-free

    # Mirror:
    deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    contrib non-free
    #
    # eof
    #

    > ... but am uncertain is this is the best route as I don't have a public
    > key for that site.

    sudo aptitude install debian-multimedia-keyring

    Or do following commands
    gpg --recv-keys
    gpg --export | sudo apt-key add -

    > How else have you all handled this MP3 ripping issue here in the
    > States?

    Haven't got the faintest, as I not from USA.

    > Thank you,
    > --
    > sk8-365

    Good luck.

  3. Re: ripping MP3's

    AJackson said:

    > #
    > # Etch: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/30-debian-multimedia.org.list
    > #
    > # Need to add key for debian-multimedia
    > # sudo aptitude install package debian-multimedia-keyring

    >> How else have you all handled this MP3 ripping issue here in the
    >> States?

    > Haven't got the faintest, as I not from USA.

    Thanks for writing.

    I mentioned the States 'cause we have different rules for
    multimedia than others and that sometimes affects how people reply.

    Your instructions worked like a charm. Added gstreamer0.10-lame,
    lame,and liblame0. Ripping nicely now.

    --
    sk8-365

  4. Re: ripping MP3's

    On May 3, 3:22 am, sk8-365 wrote:
    > AJackson said:
    >
    > > Haven't got the faintest, as I not from USA.

    > Thanks for writing.
    >
    > I mentioned the States 'cause we have different rules for
    > multimedia than others and that sometimes affects how people reply.
    >
    > Your instructions worked like a charm. Added gstreamer0.10-lame,
    > lame,and liblame0. Ripping nicely now.

    I knew It would work, I do this myself with Sound Converter

    Serious, good that it worked. I would like to now how you added MP3
    ripping to Sound Juicer though. I use Sound Converter, which does a
    good job. But sometimes (only somtimes and mostly to other users
    installations) I want to be able to rip to MP3 format (or something
    else).

  5. Re: ripping MP3's

    AJackson said:

    > I knew It would work, I do this myself with Sound Converter
    >
    > Serious, good that it worked. I would like to now how you added MP3
    > ripping to Sound Juicer though. I use Sound Converter, which does a
    > good job. But sometimes (only somtimes and mostly to other users
    > installations) I want to be able to rip to MP3 format (or something
    > else).

    These are the steps:
    Prefs > Format > Edit Profiles > New.

    Then in New:
    Profile name - put what you like, I use "mp3" (doh !)
    Profile disc. - I left that blank but fill in as you like.
    Gstreamer Pipeline - this is important and this works for me
    audio/x-raw-int,rate=4410,channels=2 ! lame name=enc
    File extension - important - mp3
    Check the box "Active"

    After that be certain the Output Format is set to mp3.
    --
    sk8-365

  6. Re: ripping MP3's

    On May 4, 2:35 am, sk8-365 wrote:

    > These are the steps:
    > Prefs > Format > Edit Profiles > New.
    >
    > Then in New:
    > Profile name - put what you like, I use "mp3" (doh !)
    > Profile disc. - I left that blank but fill in as you like.
    > Gstreamer Pipeline - this is important and this works for me
    > audio/x-raw-int,rate=4410,channels=2 ! lame name=enc
    > File extension - important - mp3
    > Check the box "Active"
    >
    > After that be certain the Output Format is set to mp3.
    > --
    > sk8-365

    Thanks, will test it later.
    Gstreamer solutions looks soo easy when you have the answer in front
    of you, doesn't it. Makes you feel a bit stupid

  7. Re: ripping MP3's

    AJackson said:

    > Thanks, will test it later.
    > Gstreamer solutions looks soo easy when you have the answer in front
    > of you, doesn't it. Makes you feel a bit stupid

    Can't say it was I who came up with all that - found it on the Net.
    BTW, I learned that Sound Juicer *doesn't* do id3 or any tagging for
    that matter - boo! I can see a way to deal with tagging: tagging from a
    command line app like id3v2 (have yet to try it) or use grip. Plus,
    if you have other tunes or sounds in another format, like WAV for
    example, SoundConverter can change them to MP3 or one of several
    other formats. One catch tho' is that SC will change the format of a
    file which has no tagging but the file will be a zero byte file. So,
    don't delete those reformatted WAV to MP3 which have no taggs or
    you'll have nothing useful to listen to - um, as I learned the hard
    way.

    --
    sk8-365

  8. Re: ripping MP3's

    On May 4, 9:37 pm, sk8-365 wrote:
    > AJackson said:
    >
    > > Thanks, will test it later.
    > > Gstreamer solutions looks soo easy when you have the answer in front
    > > of you, doesn't it. Makes you feel a bit stupid

    > Can't say it was I who came up with all that - found it on the Net.
    > BTW, I learned that Sound Juicer *doesn't* do id3 or any tagging for
    > that matter - boo!

    It tag OGG-files all right, from MusicBrainz.org. Works like a
    charm. Might take a look at gstreamer to see if it could be done for
    MP3 too.

    > I can see a way to deal with tagging: tagging from a
    > command line app like id3v2 (have yet to try it) or use grip. Plus,
    > if you have other tunes or sounds in another format, like WAV for
    > example, SoundConverter can change them to MP3 or one of several
    > other formats. One catch tho' is that SC will change the format of a
    > file which has no tagging but the file will be a zero byte file. So,
    > don't delete those reformatted WAV to MP3 which have no taggs or
    > you'll have nothing useful to listen to - um, as I learned the hard
    > way.

    I have tested some graphical ID-tools, which one works realy good.
    Have to look what that was, as I don't have that computer here (It
    wasn't my computer).
    Ok, I might continue to SJ to OGG-format and then use SC to convert to
    MP3-format then.

    Good luck

  9. Re: ripping MP3's

    AJackson said:

    > Ok, I might continue to SJ to OGG-format and then use SC to convert to
    > MP3-format then.

    That's an excellent idea ! I'll try that and report my findings.

    --
    sk8-365

  10. Re: ripping MP3's

    sk8-365 said:
    > AJackson said:
    >
    >> Ok, I might continue to SJ to OGG-format and then use SC to convert to
    >> MP3-format then.
    >>

    > That's an excellent idea ! I'll try that and report my findings.

    Yes, works fine ... now I have 6GB of CD to re-rip and convert, but
    at least they'll be in proper order. Think I'll do the deed little by
    little tho'

    Thanks for mentioning it !
    --
    sk8-365

  11. Re: ripping MP3's

    On May 6, 9:38 am, sk8-365 wrote:
    > sk8-365 said:
    >
    > > AJackson said:
    > >
    > >> Ok, I might continue to SJ to OGG-format and then use SC to convert to
    > >> MP3-format then.

    > > That's an excellent idea ! I'll try that and report my findings.

    > Yes, works fine ... now I have 6GB of CD to re-rip and convert, but
    > at least they'll be in proper order. Think I'll do the deed little by
    > little tho'
    >
    > Thanks for mentioning it !

    Your welcome. You helped me, I help you
    (And as I wrote, the solution can be so simple, when you have it in
    front of you :-))

+ Reply to Thread