Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories - Debian

This is a discussion on Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories - Debian ; Hey! My recent copy of Ubuntu has OpenOffice 2.2. How do we download it here? (with synaptic)...

  1. Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    Hey!
    My recent copy of Ubuntu has OpenOffice 2.2.
    How do we download it here? (with synaptic)

  2. Re: Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    Pete wrote:

    > Hey!
    > My recent copy of Ubuntu has OpenOffice 2.2.
    > How do we download it here? (with synaptic)

    OOo 2.2 is in unstable so your /etc/apt/sources.list
    must include unstable before apt-get or a gui
    front-end will know about it.

  3. Re: Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    On 05/01/2007 04:13 PM, Pete wrote:
    > Hey!
    > My recent copy of Ubuntu has OpenOffice 2.2.
    > How do we download it here? (with synaptic)

    I don't know anything about Ubuntu, but I suspect that you won't be able
    to use Ubuntu's repositories to install onto Debian.

    It seems that Ubuntu was designed to install from Debian's repositories,
    but the reverse is not true. You can still get OO 2.2 from the website:
    http://www.openoffice.org/

  4. Re: Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    On May 1, 11:13 pm, Pete wrote:
    > Hey!
    > My recent copy of Ubuntu has OpenOffice 2.2.
    > How do we download it here? (with synaptic)

    You should not use Ubuntu repositories in Debian/Etc (Debian/Stable,
    that is). It will get you only trouble, which you don't want when you
    are starting to learn how to use Debian / Linux.

    OpenOffice 2.2 is supposed to be in Debian/unstabel, which is also a
    bad place for you to be now.
    When you have starting to know your ways around Debian/stable, you
    could start to use Debian/testing. The distributions are named
    testing and unstable becouse they can (and on occations will) break
    your system. Not that you with some work and knowled can't unbreak
    your system. But without knowing how to manage Debian/stable, you
    will not be happy with a broken Debian/testing or Debian/unstable.

    So please get to know basic Linux command tools, Debian package
    system, how to use aptitude and dpkg command lines tools before you go
    there, into the bleading edge. For unless you know those tools, you
    will be cut and hurt yourself...

    So in two-three month time I will tell you how to start walking onto
    Debian/testing path. Untill then, happy Debian/Etch time on you

    Good luck

  5. Re: Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    On 2007-05-01, Roby wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> Hey!
    >> My recent copy of Ubuntu has OpenOffice 2.2.
    >> How do we download it here? (with synaptic)

    > OOo 2.2 is in unstable so your /etc/apt/sources.list
    > must include unstable before apt-get or a gui
    > front-end will know about it.

    As far as Ubuntu is concerned it seems to be installed with the
    latest version 7.4.

    All U. users use Debian, but not all D. users use Ubuntu it seems!

    --
    Chris Game

    Calm down -- it's only ones and zeroes

  6. Re: Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    You can still get OO 2.2 from the website:
    > http://www.openoffice.org/

    Couldn't instal it anyway in this way.

  7. Re: Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:30:21 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > You can still get OO 2.2 from the website:
    >> http://www.openoffice.org/
    >>

    > Couldn't instal it anyway in this way.

    Actually you should be able to. Particularly if there is a .deb package
    available. If there is, instead, a .rpm or .tgz then 'alien' should be
    able to convert it to install with the package manager; and if all else
    fails you should be able to install from a source package.

  8. Re: Version 2.2 of OO is in the repositories

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:30:21 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> You can still get OO 2.2 from the website:
    >>> http://www.openoffice.org/
    >>>

    >> Couldn't instal it anyway in this way.

    > Actually you should be able to. Particularly if there is a .deb package
    > available. If there is, instead, a .rpm or .tgz then 'alien' should be
    > able to convert it to install with the package manager; and if all else
    > fails you should be able to install from a source package.

    Here's an easier way:

    1. Use apt to install the "rpm" package.

    2. Obtain the OO tar ball and extract it in a temporary directory.

    3. As per the OO directions, run rpm on *.rpm; be sure to supply the
    --nodeps option. You'll see rpm complain -- ignore it.

    4. Make links or menu-entries to the OO apps.

    --
    "Developers! Developers! Developers!" -- Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft

+ Reply to Thread