Default Browser - Debian

This is a discussion on Default Browser - Debian ; I prefer the 'firefox' to be my default browser. Indeed, I set it to ask and I confirmed it as default. However, Epiphany keeps coming up as default. How do I change this? Thanks....

  1. Default Browser

    I prefer the 'firefox' to be my default browser. Indeed, I set it to ask
    and I confirmed it as default. However, Epiphany keeps coming up as
    default. How do I change this? Thanks.

  2. Re: Default Browser

    On 05/01/2007 10:44 AM, Pete wrote:
    > I prefer the 'firefox' to be my default browser. Indeed, I set it to ask
    > and I confirmed it as default. However, Epiphany keeps coming up as
    > default. How do I change this? Thanks.

    While X Windows is running, go into a terminal and start the
    gnome-control-center, then go into Advanced-> Preferred Applications.

  3. Re: Default Browser

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 05/01/2007 10:44 AM, Pete wrote:
    >> I prefer the 'firefox' to be my default browser. Indeed, I set it to ask
    >> and I confirmed it as default. However, Epiphany keeps coming up as
    >> default. How do I change this? Thanks.

    > While X Windows is running, go into a terminal and start the
    > gnome-control-center, then go into Advanced-> Preferred Applications.

    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am a newbie.
    What is X windows?
    Where is the gnome control center? I can't find it. (I'm not using Ubuntu.)
    If these are all terminal commands, could you spell them out?

  4. Re: Default Browser

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:29:04 +0000, Mumia W. wrote:

    > On 05/01/2007 10:44 AM, Pete wrote:
    >> I prefer the 'firefox' to be my default browser. Indeed, I set it to ask
    >> and I confirmed it as default. However, Epiphany keeps coming up as
    >> default. How do I change this? Thanks.

    > While X Windows is running, go into a terminal and start the
    > gnome-control-center, then go into Advanced-> Preferred Applications.

    That's System menu -> preferences -> preferred applications. from the
    gnome system menu. I don't think he can open a terminal.

  5. Re: Default Browser

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 12:03:12 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:29:04 +0000, Mumia W. wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/01/2007 10:44 AM, Pete wrote:
    >>> I prefer the 'firefox' to be my default browser. Indeed, I set it to ask
    >>> and I confirmed it as default. However, Epiphany keeps coming up as
    >>> default. How do I change this? Thanks.

    >> While X Windows is running, go into a terminal and start the
    >> gnome-control-center, then go into Advanced-> Preferred Applications.

    > That's System menu -> preferences -> preferred applications. from the
    > gnome system menu. I don't think he can open a terminal.

    Thanks. Got it. For me it was all under "Desktop."

  6. Re: Default Browser

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:58:25 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> On 05/01/2007 10:44 AM, Pete wrote:
    >>> I prefer the 'firefox' to be my default browser. Indeed, I set it to ask
    >>> and I confirmed it as default. However, Epiphany keeps coming up as
    >>> default. How do I change this? Thanks.

    >> While X Windows is running, go into a terminal and start the
    >> gnome-control-center, then go into Advanced-> Preferred Applications.
    >>

    > Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am a newbie.
    > What is X windows?

    X windows is your gui desktop - without it you have no gui at all - only
    a command line terminal.

    > Where is the gnome control center? I can't find it. (I'm not using Ubuntu.)
    > If these are all terminal commands, could you spell them out?

  7. Re: Default Browser

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:51:42 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:58:25 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> Mumia W. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> While X Windows is running, go into a terminal and start the
    >>> gnome-control-center, then go into Advanced-> Preferred Applications.
    >>>

    >> Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am a newbie.
    >> What is X windows?

    > X windows is your gui desktop - without it you have no gui at all - only
    > a command line terminal.
    >
    >> Where is the gnome control center? I can't find it. (I'm not using Ubuntu.)
    >> If these are all terminal commands, could you spell them out?

    OK.
    I've had this distro since last night and I don't think I'll ever get past
    the synaptic manager for installing programs. :-(
    In the long term, it should get more graphical though.
    But I REFUSE to go back to M$ Windoz.
    -Pete

  8. Re: Default Browser

    Pete said:
    > I've had this distro since last night and I don't think I'll ever get past
    > the synaptic manager for installing programs. :-(
    > In the long term, it should get more graphical though.
    > But I REFUSE to go back to M$ Windoz.

    Pete, Give yourself, and us more time. You'll get the hang of it I
    know. I've seen your posts elsewhere and you're able to do this.

    --
    sk8-365

  9. Re: Default Browser

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:18:43 +0000, Pete wrote:

    >> That's System menu -> preferences -> preferred applications. from the
    >> gnome system menu. I don't think he can open a terminal.

    > Thanks. Got it. For me it was all under "Desktop."

    Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings?

    Perhaps they can help you look through the menus next time.

  10. Re: Default Browser

    On May 2, 5:50 am, Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:18:43 +0000, Pete wrote:
    > >> That's System menu -> preferences -> preferred applications. from the
    > >> gnome system menu. I don't think he can open a terminal.

    > > Thanks. Got it. For me it was all under "Desktop."

    > Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings?
    >
    > Perhaps they can help you look through the menus next time.
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Just to inform Pete.
    Just ignore Dan C. He is like this.
    He realy should stay in the Slackware groups and help out there, where
    he is prob. needed. Instead of giving Slackware and Linux users a bad
    name here.

    Yours
    Jackson

  11. Re: Default Browser

    "sk8-365" wrote in message
    > Pete said:
    >> I've had this distro since last night and I don't think I'll ever get
    >> past
    >> the synaptic manager for installing programs. :-(
    >> In the long term, it should get more graphical though.
    >> But I REFUSE to go back to M$ Windoz.

    > Pete, Give yourself, and us more time. You'll get the hang of it I
    > know. I've seen your posts elsewhere and you're able to do this.
    >
    > --
    > sk8-365

    Sorry for all the posts. I'm working at warp speed to get some
    understanding. I have a full understanding now of the GUI and synaptic. Now
    I need to learn more about apt and the command line. I am a little
    compulsive. Well, maybe a lot compulsive. :-)
    Thanks.
    -Pete

  12. Re: Default Browser

    "AJackson" wrote in message
    news:1178095880.816704.295340@n59g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    >> > Thanks. Got it. For me it was all under "Desktop."

    >> Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings?
    >>
    >> Perhaps they can help you look through the menus next time.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    > Just to inform Pete.
    > Just ignore Dan C. He is like this.
    > He realy should stay in the Slackware groups and help out there, where
    > he is prob. needed. Instead of giving Slackware and Linux users a bad
    > name here.
    >
    > Yours
    > Jackson

    I appreciate that. I was feeling bad. I've only had this OS for 36 hours.
    -Pete

  13. Re: Default Browser

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 09:20:07 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > [edit]

    I have a full understanding now of the GUI and synaptic.
    > Now I need to learn more about apt and the command line. I am a little
    > compulsive. Well, maybe a lot compulsive. :-) Thanks.
    > -Pete

    I'm not trying to give you a hard time Pete but the above statement...

    "The GUI". Which GUI are you talking about? Are you referring to the
    desktop environments like KDE or Gnome and if you are, which? Or, are
    you using a light desktop like icewm or fluxbox? It can matter to people
    who try to answer you, especially if they refer to 'menu' items.

    Since you are new to Debian, it would be a good idea to review this
    document in order to understand how to get better answers in these
    newsgroups. As you have already started to learn, different distributions
    have individual differences and even which kernel you're using can be
    important. How To Ask For Help:

    Rodney

  14. Re: Default Browser

    > Since you are new to Debian, it would be a good idea to review this
    > document in order to understand how to get better answers in these
    > newsgroups. As you have already started to learn, different distributions
    > have individual differences and even which kernel you're using can be
    > important. How To Ask For Help:
    >
    > Rodney

    Nice rule on etiquette. Would be applicable in many settings.
    Thanks.

  15. Re: Default Browser

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 09:21:28 -0400, Pete wrote:

    >>> Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings?
    >>> Perhaps they can help you look through the menus next time.

    >> Just ignore Dan C. He is like this.
    >> He realy should stay in the Slackware groups and help out there, where
    >> he is prob. needed. Instead of giving Slackware and Linux users a bad
    >> name here.

    > I appreciate that. I was feeling bad. I've only had this OS for 36
    > hours. -Pete

    All the more reason to poke around in the menus, and read some
    documentation, before asking stupid questions (that have already been
    asked and answered 47 million times).

    This "AJackson" is best ignored, by the way. I mean, really. He posts
    from Google Groups! How smart could he be?!

    Learn to do a few things for yourself instead of asking for someone to
    hold your hand your entire life.

  16. Re: Default Browser

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:37:14 +0000, Pete wrote:

    >> Since you are new to Debian, it would be a good idea to review this
    >> document in order to understand how to get better answers in these
    >> newsgroups. As you have already started to learn, different
    >> distributions have individual differences and even which kernel you're
    >> using can be important. How To Ask For Help:
    >>
    >> Rodney

    > Nice rule on etiquette. Would be applicable in many settings. Thanks.

    Well, the etiquette part is ok but the important part is to understand how
    the structure of your question and the detail of your system will lead to
    the best answers. Many ignore etiquette, even if they know about it, but
    this is a help forum, what matters is if one gets the help they need, some
    of the 'background noise' is best skipped and certainly should not be
    taken as personal.

    Incidently, I think following the spirit of that smart-questions document
    also encourages the most expert who read here to give you an answer when
    they see you have done your 'homework' on whatever issue you are having.

    Rodney

  17. Re: Default Browser

    On May 2, 9:25 pm, Dan C wrote:
    > >> Just ignore Dan C. He is like this.
    > >> He realy should stay in the Slackware groups and help out there, where
    > >> he is prob. needed. Instead of giving Slackware and Linux users a bad
    > >> name here.

    > > I appreciate that. I was feeling bad. I've only had this OS for 36
    > > hours. -Pete

    > All the more reason to poke around in the menus, and read some
    > documentation, before asking stupid questions (that have already been
    > asked and answered 47 million times).
    >
    > This "AJackson" is best ignored, by the way. I mean, really. He posts
    > from Google Groups! How smart could he be?!
    >
    > Learn to do a few things for yourself instead of asking for someone to
    > hold your hand your entire life.

    Wow, a post that is actually nearly friendly and usefull!
    You getting there, so continue working on your attitude. If this
    continue, I soon can stop warn newbies about you each time you write
    something non helfull mean remark about them.

    About your comment about me, I shouldn't need to comment on that at
    all. What does the client I use have to do with how smart I am? At
    least i'm not a smartass as some here.
    Is reading nn through Emacs/gnus smart enough for you? Is installing
    Linux before it hit 1.0 smart enough for you? Is compiling gcc first
    to be able to compile Emacs 18 for SunOS smart enough (Yes, Solaris
    wasn't around then)?
    Please grow up, or stick to the Slackware groups.

  18. Re: Default Browser

    On May 1, 11:50 pm, Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:18:43 +0000, Pete wrote:
    > >> That's System menu -> preferences -> preferred applications. from the
    > >> gnome system menu. I don't think he can open a terminal.

    > > Thanks. Got it. For me it was all under "Desktop."

    > Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings?
    >
    > Perhaps they can help you look through the menus next time.
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    HEY!! don't be such an idiot.
    Remember the day when you were learning? Or what? you were born
    learned?!!
    Pete, we have total confidence in you man, in time you will be just as
    good as anyone here. We all went through something called "The
    Learning Curve" and we all, with the exception of a few stupid trolls,
    are here to help you.

  19. Re: Default Browser

    jamiil said:

    > Pete, we have total confidence in you man, in time you will be just as
    > good as anyone here. We all went through something called "The
    > Learning Curve" and we all, with the exception of a few stupid trolls,
    > are here to help you.

    Chiming in here to second that - in fact, part of what I enjoy about
    Linux is I'm ever learning!

    Stick with it Pete, and as I learn I'll help whenever possible.
    --
    sk8-365

+ Reply to Thread