Installation from Internet vs CD? - Debian

This is a discussion on Installation from Internet vs CD? - Debian ; I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!! Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete...

  1. Installation from Internet vs CD?

    I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    Can't it fetch the file from the Internet???
    -Pete

  2. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    Pete () wrote:

    > I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    > Can't it fetch the file from the Internet???

    By default apt will prefer local media. Maybe moving the server entries
    to the top of your sources.list and running apt-get update is
    sufficient, if that doesn't work remove the cdrom entries and run
    apt-get update. You can put back the discs anytime using apt-cdrom add.

    regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270

  3. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:37 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    > Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete

    You haven't changed your /etc/apt/sources.list, have you? man
    sources.list should get you going.

  4. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    Andreas Janssen wrote:
    > Pete () wrote:
    >
    >> I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    >> Can't it fetch the file from the Internet???

    > By default apt will prefer local media. Maybe moving the server entries
    > to the top of your sources.list and running apt-get update is
    > sufficient, if that doesn't work remove the cdrom entries and run
    > apt-get update. You can put back the discs anytime using apt-cdrom add.
    >
    > regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    I hate to be a bother... but could you spell out the commands, line by
    line? I don't know much of what I'm doing, but will learn from this
    exercise.
    -Pete

  5. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    thunder wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:37 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    >> Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete

    > You haven't changed your /etc/apt/sources.list, have you? man
    > sources.list should get you going.

    Hell, I tried the console a bit, and I get this lecture that I am not in
    the sudoer's file, and the incident will be reported. What now?

  6. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    thunder wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:37 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    >> Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete

    > You haven't changed your /etc/apt/sources.list, have you? man
    > sources.list should get you going.

    PS: I AM using the root password. I guess it doesn't match with my name,
    but I gave it no other name!

  7. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:22:53 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > thunder wrote:
    >> On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:37 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>> I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    >>> Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete

    >> You haven't changed your /etc/apt/sources.list, have you? man
    >> sources.list should get you going.

    > Hell, I tried the console a bit, and I get this lecture that I am not in
    > the sudoer's file, and the incident will be reported. What now?

    First, in a terminal or console:
    "su root"
    give root's password when prompted

    "adduser your_user_name sudo"

    That should add you to the group sudo.

    "exit" will return you to your_user_name.

    When using sudo, when you are prompted for a password, sudo wants your
    password, not root's. Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update,
    then apt-get install abiword. That should do it.

  8. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    Pete wrote:

    > I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    > Can't it fetch the file from the Internet???
    > -Pete

    Of course it can, however if the version on the cd you installed from is
    the same version that is on the internet it will default to the cd.
    To disable ever using the cd , edit the /etc/apt/sources.list and # out the
    cd reference. From a terminal sudo pico /etc/apt/sources.list

  9. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    Pete () wrote:
    > Andreas Janssen wrote:
    >> Pete () wrote:
    >>
    >>> I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    >>> Can't it fetch the file from the Internet???

    >> By default apt will prefer local media. Maybe moving the server
    >> entries to the top of your sources.list and running apt-get update is
    >> sufficient, if that doesn't work remove the cdrom entries and run
    >> apt-get update. You can put back the discs anytime using apt-cdrom
    >> add.

    > I hate to be a bother... but could you spell out the commands, line by
    > line? I don't know much of what I'm doing, but will learn from this
    > exercise.

    become root (e.g. using su)

    open the file /etc/apt/sources.list with a texteditor (e.g.
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list)

    remove the cdrom lines

    save the file (ctrl+o enter in nano)

    exit the editor (ctrl+x in nano)

    run apt-get update

    regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
    Registered Linux User #267976
    http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

  10. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    Pete remarked to all ...

    > I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    > Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete

    Pete, Make your list look like mine on the top lines as far as the "#"
    go for the CD (it's word wrapped):

    #
    # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST
    # Binary-1 20070407-11:29]/ etch contrib main

    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST
    Binary-1 20070407-11:29]/ etch contrib main

    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

    deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib contrib
    non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib contrib
    non-free

    --
    sk8-365

  11. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    "thunder" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.05.01.11.11.43@TAKEOUTgti.net...
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:37 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    >> Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete

    > You haven't changed your /etc/apt/sources.list, have you? man
    > sources.list should get you going.

    No, haven't changed anything. Don't know enough, YET. My beginners book is
    about Ubuntu. No I have to buy one on Debian.
    I was however disturbed when it denied me root user status, and threatened
    to report me. I don't know why it did that. I used the same password when
    installing. Geez. :-)

  12. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:31:53 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > No, haven't changed anything. Don't know enough, YET. My beginners book
    > is about Ubuntu. No I have to buy one on Debian. I was however disturbed
    > when it denied me root user status, and threatened to report me. I don't
    > know why it did that. I used the same password when installing. Geez.
    > :-)

    As I said in another post, when using sudo, the password prompt is for
    your user password, not root's password. As for being reported, relax,
    it's not going to report you to the FBI. It's just going to make a note
    of the login failure in the machine's logs.

  13. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    Pete remarked to all ...
    > Hell, I tried the console a bit, and I get this lecture that I am not in
    > the sudoer's file, and the incident will be reported. What now?

    Slow down friend, take a breath. The "report" whento the administrator
    - that's you. Don't worry.

    Step 1: open a terminal
    Step 2: type the following

    su root (put in root's password)

    Step 3: type in the name of your favorite editor

    /etc/apt/sources.list

    Step 4: comment out the CD lines by placing a hash at the start of the
    line - this is a hash ---> #

    Step 5: save the file

    Step 6: in the terminal run this command

    apt-get update

    Step 7: open Synaptic - may as well do so in the root terminal you're
    using. Goes like this

    synaptic (press Enter)

    Step 8: add abiword - which you know how to do.

    Step 9: exit root, exit yorself from terminal, have fun using Abiword.

    After you deal with that, then handle the next thing: sudo.

    Dashing out to work ... have a good day.
    --
    sk8-365

  14. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    > First, in a terminal or console:
    > "su root"
    > give root's password when prompted
    >
    > "adduser your_user_name sudo"
    >
    > That should add you to the group sudo.
    >
    > "exit" will return you to your_user_name.
    >
    > When using sudo, when you are prompted for a password, sudo wants your
    > password, not root's. Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update,
    > then apt-get install abiword. That should do it.

    Thanks. This was the clearest and most helpful answer. You should be a
    consultant.
    -Pete

  15. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:22:53 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > thunder wrote:
    >> On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:37 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>> I went to install abiword using synaptic, and it wanted a CD-ROM?!!!
    >>> Can't it fetch the file from the Internet??? -Pete

    >> You haven't changed your /etc/apt/sources.list, have you? man
    >> sources.list should get you going.

    > Hell, I tried the console a bit, and I get this lecture that I am not in
    > the sudoer's file, and the incident will be reported. What now?

    One possible choice. Go back to that terminal and type man sudo. That
    will display the manual page for the sudo command. In the ubuntu that you
    are familiar with, you are automagically put in the sudoers file when you
    install, Debian does not do that by default and with good reason. Some of
    us feel it is an unacceptable security risk to use sudo the way ubuntu
    does (allowing ALL commands). You get to make the choice for how you want
    to use your system and what level of security is necessary in your
    location. It might not matter much for a desktop system which only you
    have physical access to and never goes on the 'Net but most server admins
    don't want a lot of sudoing.

    You may also want to read the man page for the su command, man su. Allows
    you to become 'root' for the length of the terminal session, until you
    exit, which you should do when you are done doing the actions that require
    root.

    If you are coming from Windows it could take some time to become
    accustomed to not doing normal computing with all the rights of the
    superuser, root (admin account). It must not be a bad idea to do things
    this way, even MS is going toward limited user rights and the security
    this helps with in their newer operating systems.

    Hope this helps, sometimes those manual pages are hard to understand, keep
    at it, lots of good info and it eventually starts to come together and
    make sense.

    Rodney

  16. Re: Installation from Internet vs CD?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Andreas Janssen belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > become root (e.g. using su)
    >
    > open the file /etc/apt/sources.list with a texteditor (e.g.
    > nano /etc/apt/sources.list)
    >
    > remove the cdrom lines

    Here, I would not remove the cdrom lines. I will comment them out (put
    a hash mark, #, in front of them.)

    I also add a comment with the date, a la:

    # ca 05/05/2007
    # Commented these out temporarily to fix my problem.

    That way, when I see the change 5 months later I remember what the heck
    I was doing.

    --
    The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.

+ Reply to Thread