Newbie! (from Ubuntu) - Debian

This is a discussion on Newbie! (from Ubuntu) - Debian ; I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian works smoothly so far! Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete (a happy new user)...

  1. Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    works smoothly so far!
    Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    (a happy new user)

  2. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    Pete wrote:
    > I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    > works smoothly so far!
    > Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    > Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    > (a happy new user)

    aptitude, kpackage (kde), apt-get (command line tool), dpkg (command
    line tool for control freaks), dselect (debian's original package
    manager). Pick your poison.

  3. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:48:10 -0400, ken scharf wrote:

    > Pete wrote:
    >> I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    >> works smoothly so far!
    >> Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    >> Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    >> (a happy new user)

    > aptitude, kpackage (kde), apt-get (command line tool), dpkg (command
    > line tool for control freaks), dselect (debian's original package
    > manager). Pick your poison.

    So do elaborate!
    I found synaptic. Where are these other commands of which you speak? You
    needn't elaborate on the command line tools...
    -Pete

  4. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 02:08:39 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:48:10 -0400, ken scharf wrote:
    >
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    >>> works smoothly so far!
    >>> Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    >>> Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    >>> (a happy new user)

    >> aptitude, kpackage (kde), apt-get (command line tool), dpkg (command
    >> line tool for control freaks), dselect (debian's original package
    >> manager). Pick your poison.

    > So do elaborate!
    > I found synaptic. Where are these other commands of which you speak? You
    > needn't elaborate on the command line tools...
    > -Pete

    If you found synaptic, start it up and do a search.

  5. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    Pete remarked to all ...
    > I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    > works smoothly so far!
    > Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    > Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    > (a happy new user)

    Ken's list is good. Adding to that, I use the History list from
    Synaptic to remove something. It is an item by item process but it
    works. Whenever I'm just trying something I make a text file of the
    program, and related add-ons if any, just so I don't have to recall
    everthing I've done. Think of it as a "change log".
    --
    sk8-365

  6. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:20:51 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 02:08:39 +0000, Pete wrote:

    >>> aptitude, kpackage (kde), apt-get (command line tool), dpkg (command
    >>> line tool for control freaks), dselect (debian's original package
    >>> manager). Pick your poison.

    >> So do elaborate!
    >> I found synaptic. Where are these other commands of which you speak? You
    >> needn't elaborate on the command line tools...
    >> -Pete

    > If you found synaptic, start it up and do a search.

    "Apt" is already installed/greened-out, and it is a "front end for
    dpkg."So where is it as a GUI. Which menu?

    For "KDE" am I supposed to get "the K Desktop Environment official
    modules?" Doesn't sound right.
    Thanks for your help.

  7. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    Pete wrote:
    > I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    > works smoothly so far!
    > Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    > Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    > (a happy new user)

    Welcome to the club, I went by exactly the same
    route.

    After I dropped Ubuntu I went with Debian unstable
    and have been there ever since.

    A few times, after doing a dist-upgrade, I have been
    unable to start gnome but it is so easy to get to
    a terminal mode, enter the root password
    and fix the problem that it has been a brreeze.

    For example, if all else fails, you can go to
    /var/cache/apt/archives from a terminal
    and re-install everything with
    dpkg -i *.deb (not the best solution,
    sometimes mucks things up but
    saved me twice)

    On one occasion I installed some new updates but they deleted
    some stuff gnome needed. I could not get past some dependency
    problems but then thought just to remove gnome
    and then reinstall it. Apt is smart enough to see
    what I was trying to do and offered several scored
    solutions. I choose the suggestion with the lowest
    score ( I think it was -2), reinstalled gnome and all
    went well. The only thing I lost was the nice "you are connected"
    icon that was up in the panel - I'm not sure what the
    name of the package is that does that but I will search
    for it later. This level of intelligence in a package manager
    is impressive.

    Later I wanted to explore some kernel options and did not
    realize how easy this was. I installed the linux kernel sources
    ran "make xconfig" and within a minute I was in a nice
    graphical program to examine my kernel option settings.
    As always, apt knows what dependencies are needed
    and also mentions suggested packages that you
    may also want.

    After didling with rpms in fedora and I forget what the
    thing was in Suse, apt is like a dream come true.
    It was Debian Unstable that finally freed me
    once and for all from ever having to use
    Windows XP. (Bye bye Microsoft!!!!!).

    After using Debian for several months now,
    I start to realize all the time wasted
    and problems caused by proprietary
    sofware incompatabilities on other
    operating systems and what bliss
    it is to avoid them.

    Citizen Jimserac
    James Pannozzi

  8. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    Pete writes:
    > "Apt" is already installed/greened-out, and it is a "front end for
    > dpkg."So where is it as a GUI. Which menu?

    "Apt" is a library. It is used by Apt-get (command line), Aptitude
    (interactive), Synaptic (GUI), and Kpackage (GUI).

    > For "KDE" am I supposed to get "the K Desktop Environment official
    > modules?" Doesn't sound right.

    There is a meta-package named KDE. Install it and you will have what
    people mean when they say they are "using KDE".
    --
    John Hasler

  9. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    "Jimserac" wrote in message
    news:1178021666.020952.56060@u30g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...

    > Pete wrote:
    >> I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    >> works smoothly so far!
    >> Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    >> Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    >> (a happy new user)

    > Welcome to the club, I went by exactly the same
    > route.
    >
    > After I dropped Ubuntu I went with Debian unstable
    > and have been there ever since.
    >
    > A few times, after doing a dist-upgrade, I have been
    > unable to start gnome but it is so easy to get to
    > a terminal mode, enter the root password
    > and fix the problem that it has been a brreeze.
    >
    > For example, if all else fails, you can go to
    > /var/cache/apt/archives from a terminal
    > and re-install everything with
    > dpkg -i *.deb (not the best solution,
    > sometimes mucks things up but
    > saved me twice)
    >
    > On one occasion I installed some new updates but they deleted
    > some stuff gnome needed. I could not get past some dependency
    > problems but then thought just to remove gnome
    > and then reinstall it. Apt is smart enough to see
    > what I was trying to do and offered several scored
    > solutions. I choose the suggestion with the lowest
    > score ( I think it was -2), reinstalled gnome and all
    > went well. The only thing I lost was the nice "you are connected"
    > icon that was up in the panel - I'm not sure what the
    > name of the package is that does that but I will search
    > for it later. This level of intelligence in a package manager
    > is impressive.
    >

    > Later I wanted to explore some kernel options and did not
    > realize how easy this was. I installed the linux kernel sources
    > ran "make xconfig" and within a minute I was in a nice
    > graphical program to examine my kernel option settings.
    > As always, apt knows what dependencies are needed
    > and also mentions suggested packages that you
    > may also want.
    >

    > After didling with rpms in fedora and I forget what the
    > thing was in Suse, apt is like a dream come true.
    > It was Debian Unstable that finally freed me
    > once and for all from ever having to use
    > Windows XP. (Bye bye Microsoft!!!!!).
    >
    > After using Debian for several months now,
    > I start to realize all the time wasted
    > and problems caused by proprietary
    > sofware incompatabilities on other
    > operating systems and what bliss
    > it is to avoid them.
    >

    > Citizen Jimserac
    > James Pannozzi

    Well, you're light years past me.
    I'm still a GUI man.
    -Pete

  10. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:32:18 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:20:51 -0600, ray wrote:

    >>> So do elaborate!
    >>> I found synaptic. Where are these other commands of which you speak? You
    >>> needn't elaborate on the command line tools...
    >>> -Pete

    >> If you found synaptic, start it up and do a search.

    > "Apt" is already installed/greened-out, and it is a "front end for
    > dpkg."So where is it as a GUI. Which menu?

    Apt is a command line tool - not a gui - that's what synaptic and aptitude
    are for - gui's for using apt.

    > For "KDE" am I supposed to get "the K Desktop Environment official
    > modules?" Doesn't sound right.
    > Thanks for your help.

  11. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On May 1, 9:36 am, "Pete" wrote:
    > "Jimserac" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1178021666.020952.56060@u30g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > Pete wrote:
    > >> I gave up on Ubuntu because of various incompatibilities. Debian
    > >> works smoothly so far!
    > >> Anyway, does Debian have an easy add/remove like
    > >> Ubuntu? Or is there just synaptic? -Pete
    > >> (a happy new user)

    > > Welcome to the club, I went by exactly the same
    > > route.

    > > After I dropped Ubuntu I went with Debian unstable
    > > and have been there ever since.

    > > A few times, after doing a dist-upgrade, I have been
    > > unable to start gnome but it is so easy to get to
    > > a terminal mode, enter the root password
    > > and fix the problem that it has been a brreeze.

    > > For example, if all else fails, you can go to
    > > /var/cache/apt/archives from a terminal
    > > and re-install everything with
    > > dpkg -i *.deb (not the best solution,
    > > sometimes mucks things up but
    > > saved me twice)

    > > On one occasion I installed some new updates but they deleted
    > > some stuff gnome needed. I could not get past some dependency
    > > problems but then thought just to remove gnome
    > > and then reinstall it. Apt is smart enough to see
    > > what I was trying to do and offered several scored
    > > solutions. I choose the suggestion with the lowest
    > > score ( I think it was -2), reinstalled gnome and all
    > > went well. The only thing I lost was the nice "you are connected"
    > > icon that was up in the panel - I'm not sure what the
    > > name of the package is that does that but I will search
    > > for it later. This level of intelligence in a package manager
    > > is impressive.

    > > Later I wanted to explore some kernel options and did not
    > > realize how easy this was. I installed the linux kernel sources
    > > ran "make xconfig" and within a minute I was in a nice
    > > graphical program to examine my kernel option settings.
    > > As always, apt knows what dependencies are needed
    > > and also mentions suggested packages that you
    > > may also want.

    > > After didling with rpms in fedora and I forget what the
    > > thing was in Suse, apt is like a dream come true.
    > > It was Debian Unstable that finally freed me
    > > once and for all from ever having to use
    > > Windows XP. (Bye bye Microsoft!!!!!).

    > > After using Debian for several months now,
    > > I start to realize all the time wasted
    > > and problems caused by proprietary
    > > sofware incompatabilities on other
    > > operating systems and what bliss
    > > it is to avoid them.

    > > CitizenJimserac
    > > James Pannozzi

    > Well, you're light years past me.
    > I'm still a GUI man.
    > -Pete

    Well, so was I but I got used to using the
    apt commands right from a command shell.

    Just open a command shell and su - to make
    yourself be root, i.e. enter "su -"
    and then enter your root password.

    Now just say "apt-get install somepackage"

    And it will go out to the debian servers (or wherever
    you have listed the server urls in a file called
    /etc/apt/source.list) and install the package.

    You sometimes have to do some googling
    to get the package name right - for example,
    I wanted to install xemacs a while back
    and it did not know that pacakge name
    but it did helpfully suggest xemacs21 and when
    I tried an apt-get on this name, it installed.

    If you are tight on disk space and you install
    a lot of stuff, don't forget to do an "apt-get autoclean"
    to free up some space.

    To upgrade from one Debian to another, for example from
    etch to unstable or from testing to unstable, just become
    root and then edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file
    to point to the proper Debian server that has that distribution.
    Then issue the simple command:
    "apt-get dist-upgrade" and it will upgrade you. This
    has worked every time for me in Debian whereas
    doing a dist upgrade in Fedora or Suse was, last time I looked
    a year ago, an iffy affair at best.

    Check out smart dude Uwe Herman's web page (google for him)
    he has a lot of great packages, helpful Debian tips and suggestions
    and is very responsive if you leave a message on his blog
    or make a comment.

    Keep an eye out for error messages that are not always
    entirely appropos - the other day I went to unmount and
    close one of my encrypted disks and kept getting
    a "device is being used" message. How could this be, I thought,
    since all my terminal windows which were accessing the encrypted
    disk were already closed. Ah but I forgot that I had
    dragged some files from the encrypted disk to the
    trash bin BUT had not EMPTIED the trash bin!
    As soon as I did that the error message went away
    and I could complete the closing process.

    I'm just a newbie at this too after nearly 20 years developing
    for that crud Windows operating system but I find the more
    I stay in Debian the more I like it and this is the FIRST
    Linux distro that I have stayed with and been able to
    figure out how to proceed when I hit a rough spot.
    There is a comfortable feel to it which is hard to explain
    why but that wily and intelligent apt is no doubt part
    of the answer.

    Of course, since I use the unstable Debian I've
    backed up all my files very carefully to two other
    boxes (ALSO running Debian!) but so far, as I've mentioned
    before, I have not lost a thing and have spent not
    more than 15 minuttes on system recovery
    a couple of times - a very impressive performance
    for the most leading edge release of an outstanding
    operating system.

    And, so far, Debian has NOT rearranged my numerous desktop
    icons, unlike that other opserating system which
    I no longer need or use.

    Citizen Jimserac
    James Pannozzi

  12. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:32:18 +0000, Pete wrote:

    >>> If you found synaptic, start it up and do a search.

    >> "Apt" is already installed/greened-out, and it is a "front end for
    >> dpkg."So where is it as a GUI. Which menu?

    > Apt is a command line tool - not a gui - that's what synaptic and aptitude
    > are for - gui's for using apt.
    >
    >> For "KDE" am I supposed to get "the K Desktop Environment official
    >> modules?" Doesn't sound right.
    >> Thanks for your help.

    OK, so how do I use all these wonderful front ends to upgrade to
    OpenOffice 2.2?
    :-)
    -Pete

  13. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:40:05 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > ray wrote:

    >>> "Apt" is already installed/greened-out, and it is a "front end for
    >>> dpkg."So where is it as a GUI. Which menu?

    >> Apt is a command line tool - not a gui - that's what synaptic and aptitude
    >> are for - gui's for using apt.
    >>
    >>> For "KDE" am I supposed to get "the K Desktop Environment official
    >>> modules?" Doesn't sound right.
    >>> Thanks for your help.

    > OK, so how do I use all these wonderful front ends to upgrade to
    > OpenOffice 2.2?

    step 1) wait until it's in the ubuntu repository.

    > :-)
    > -Pete

  14. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:50:55 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:40:05 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> Apt is a command line tool - not a gui - that's what synaptic and aptitude
    >>> are for - gui's for using apt.

    >> OK, so how do I use all these wonderful front ends to upgrade to
    >> OpenOffice 2.2?

    > step 1) wait until it's in the ubuntu repository.
    >

    >> :-)
    >> -Pete

    Right. Saves me a lot of work. :-)

  15. JUST A SECOND...

    Pete wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:50:55 -0600, ray wrote:

    >>> OK, so how do I use all these wonderful front ends to upgrade to
    >>> OpenOffice 2.2?

    >> step 1) wait until it's in the ubuntu repository.
    >>

    >>> :-)
    >>> -Pete

    > Right. Saves me a lot of work. :-)

    Version 2.2 is in the repositories. I have it on Ubuntu!

  16. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:36:17 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > Well, you're light years past me.
    > I'm still a GUI man.

    Ummm....

    Yeah, we can see that.

  17. Re: Newbie! (from Ubuntu)

    On May 1, 9:50 pm, ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:40:05 +0000, Pete wrote:
    > > ray wrote:

    I would recommend you to use synaptic for GUI use and aptitude for
    command line use.

    aptitude is booth command line (change all use of apt-get command with
    aptitude), which makes some better selections than apt-get, in my
    experiance.
    If you just starts with the command 'sudo aptitude', you have a menu/
    windowing environment in your text terminal. It isn't that hard to
    use, when you get the hang out of it. Move aroud with your arrow
    keys. Enter-key open and closes packages views. "+" selects, "-"
    deslects and "_" purge packages (purge removes all config files too).
    'u' update your view of resent packagesin the repository (I always
    start with that). 'g' gets and installs your current package
    selections. 'q' quits "view windows" and lastly aptitude. This is all
    I use (exept 'L' and 'M' sometimes, but that isn't usally needed).
    Sometimes you need to do something else, like '!'-key. But then you
    get instructions on the bottom of your screen.

    Yes, you should install sudo-package and set it up so that you can
    easily run a command as root, without logging in as root.
    You should NEVER log in as root, other than doing som short
    administration tasks. To easy to realy mess things up, if you do
    (like in MS Windows XP)

    This text command should get you gooing. Or select packages kde and
    kdm in synaptics
    sudo aptitude install kde kdm

    > > OK, so how do I use all these wonderful front ends to upgrade to
    > > OpenOffice 2.2?

    > step 1) wait until it's in the ubuntu repository.

    Or better yet, wait untill it's in Debian repositories, becouse he is
    using Debian. But it will be in Debian/testing before Ubuntu, any
    way
    Good luck

  18. Re: JUST A SECOND...

    On 2007-05-01, Pete wrote:

    >>> step 1) wait until it's in the ubuntu repository.

    >> Right. Saves me a lot of work. :-)

    > Version 2.2 is in the repositories. I have it on Ubuntu!

    So why do you want to upgrade to it then?

    --
    Chris Game

    "A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire

  19. Re: JUST A SECOND...

    "Chris Game" wrote in message
    news:slrnf3h9nr.5ih.chrisgame@URANUS.example.net.. .

    >>> Right. Saves me a lot of work. :-)

    >> Version 2.2 is in the repositories. I have it on Ubuntu!

    > So why do you want to upgrade to it then?
    >
    > --

    So my Debian machine has a similar configuration to my ubuntu laptop.
    Ubuntu didn't work on my desktop.

  20. Re: JUST A SECOND...

    On May 2, 8:24 pm, "Pete" wrote:
    > "Chris Game" wrote in message
    >
    > > On 2007-05-01, Pete wrote:
    > >> Version 2.2 is in the repositories. I have it on Ubuntu!

    > > So why do you want to upgrade to it then?

    > > --

    > So my Debian machine has a similar configuration to my ubuntu laptop.
    > Ubuntu didn't work on my desktop.

    Well, you could change to Debian/testing. But then you could end up
    with a machine which needs some hands on to fix (like running some
    commands in command shell and manually know what to do). It's is your
    choise to do. But as I wrote earlier, I think you should get use to
    Debian packages etc in Debian/Etch before you try Debian/testing. It
    might be worth it, if you don't depend on that machine to be running
    24h/7d without any major problems. As you know Murphy is there when
    you least wish for it. Been there, done that But I learned
    a lot about Debian in a short time, and worked real hard on that for a
    while with my program/report.

    Good luck

+ Reply to Thread