Partition table types - Debian

This is a discussion on Partition table types - Debian ; During the installation of the more recent versions on Debian GNU/Linux, while going to edit the partition table, I get asked which partition type I want to use. Among the types I'm offered to choose from, there are some which ...

  1. Partition table types

    During the installation of the more recent versions on Debian
    GNU/Linux, while going to edit the partition table, I get asked which
    partition type I want to use. Among the types I'm offered to choose
    from, there are some which allow only 4 primary partitions (msdos, eg)
    and others which allow more primary partitions (bsd, sparc, if memory
    serves).

    Up to now I have only used 'msdos' type on PCs (of course I use sparc
    on Sparc hardware) to be on the safe side. But I would like to be able
    to be able to use more primary partitions on the PCs. Is it save to
    use any of the partition table types on them (PCs) or should I stick
    to the msdos type?

    Thank you!

    --
    Saludos,
    Angel

  2. Re: Partition table types

    On 04/29/2007 07:50 AM, Angel wrote:
    > During the installation of the more recent versions on Debian
    > GNU/Linux, while going to edit the partition table, I get asked which
    > partition type I want to use. Among the types I'm offered to choose
    > from, there are some which allow only 4 primary partitions (msdos, eg)
    > and others which allow more primary partitions (bsd, sparc, if memory
    > serves).
    >
    > Up to now I have only used 'msdos' type on PCs (of course I use sparc
    > on Sparc hardware) to be on the safe side. But I would like to be able
    > to be able to use more primary partitions on the PCs. Is it save to
    > use any of the partition table types on them (PCs) or should I stick
    > to the msdos type?
    >
    > Thank you!

    I advise using the MSDOS type unless there is a good reason for
    something else. The MSDOS partition type is relatively stable and
    trustworthy, well-tested, and compatible.

    If you use an exotic partition type and have a system meltdown, you'll
    probably find it harder to rescue the system because finding a rescue
    disk that supports exotic partition types might be difficult.

  3. Re: Partition table types

    Mumia W. schrieb:
    > On 04/29/2007 07:50 AM, Angel wrote:
    >> During the installation of the more recent versions on Debian
    >> GNU/Linux, while going to edit the partition table, I get asked which
    >> partition type I want to use. Among the types I'm offered to choose
    >> from, there are some which allow only 4 primary partitions (msdos, eg)
    >> and others which allow more primary partitions (bsd, sparc, if memory
    >> serves).
    >>
    >> Up to now I have only used 'msdos' type on PCs (of course I use sparc
    >> on Sparc hardware) to be on the safe side. But I would like to be able
    >> to be able to use more primary partitions on the PCs. Is it save to
    >> use any of the partition table types on them (PCs) or should I stick
    >> to the msdos type?
    >>
    >> Thank you!
    >>

    > I advise using the MSDOS type unless there is a good reason for
    > something else. The MSDOS partition type is relatively stable and
    > trustworthy, well-tested, and compatible.

    Does Microsoft pay you to say that? You sound like Steve Ballmer!

    > If you use an exotic partition type and have a system meltdown, you'll
    > probably find it harder to rescue the system because finding a rescue
    > disk that supports exotic partition types might be difficult.

    Everything which doesnt include MS is exotic? Hmm. My Linux CD resues
    everything.

    You are a N00b!

  4. Re: Partition table types

    Patrick Lions wrote:
    > On 04/29/2007 07:50 AM, Angel wrote:
    >> Is it save to
    >> use any of the partition table types on them (PCs) or should I stick
    >> to the msdos type?

    > My Linux CD resues everything.

    Have you used any other partition table types on PCs? Which ones? I
    really would like to stop using the silly MSDOS type with its stupid
    limitation of only 4 primary partitions.

    Thanks!

    --
    Saludos,
    Angel