KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen. - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen. - Debian ; After a fresh install of etch my kde screen seems to be overscanning such that the bottom of the window is below the monitor screen. I know this because the kde panel is missing, but shows up if I move ...

  1. KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen.

    After a fresh install of etch my kde screen seems to be overscanning
    such that the bottom of the window is below the monitor screen. I know
    this because the kde panel is missing, but shows up if I move the mouse
    pointer below the window and click. On a previous Gentoo install,
    x11/kde worked fine. One thing I noticed is that the installer selected
    the 'versa' driver, while on Gentoo I had the "nv" driver. I had to
    specify my own modelines before so I cut and pasted the Modelines from
    the Gentoo generated xorg.conf file to the Debian one. Still doesn't
    work though. Next step is to change the driver to "nv" (and hope that
    the nv driver is actually present, or I'll have to apt-get it). Is that
    the answer, or are there any other ideas? (BTW monitor is a 19"
    widescreen lcd with DVI interface to pci graphics card)

    BTW the Raid1/LVM install went fine, and the installer did it without a
    hitch. BTW I didn't get a change to do the 'task-select' thing and got
    kde included in the base install by default, is this the norm when you
    use installgui?

  2. Re: KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen.

    On 04/28/2007 07:42 PM, ken scharf wrote:
    > After a fresh install of etch my kde screen seems to be overscanning
    > such that the bottom of the window is below the monitor screen. I know
    > this because the kde panel is missing, but shows up if I move the mouse
    > pointer below the window and click. [...]

    This happened to me when I installed Etch onto a clean system. What I
    did to correct the problem was to edit /etc/xorg/xorg.conf to only use a
    few video modes that I trusted; I also had to change the default depth.

  3. Re: KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen.

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 04/28/2007 07:42 PM, ken scharf wrote:
    >> After a fresh install of etch my kde screen seems to be overscanning
    >> such that the bottom of the window is below the monitor screen. I know
    >> this because the kde panel is missing, but shows up if I move the mouse
    >> pointer below the window and click. [...]

    > This happened to me when I installed Etch onto a clean system. What I
    > did to correct the problem was to edit /etc/xorg/xorg.conf to only use a
    > few video modes that I trusted; I also had to change the default depth.

    I fixed the problem. As I suspected the vesa driver is useless for
    resolutions above 1024x768, and doubly so for wide screen settings. I
    edited the xorg.conf file and changed to the open source "nv" driver,
    and specified by own Modelines. Now it works like a champ.

  4. Re: KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen.

    On May 1, 2:52 am, ken scharf wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    > > On 04/28/2007 07:42 PM, ken scharf wrote:
    > >> After a fresh install of etch my kde screen seems to be overscanning
    > >> such that the bottom of the window is below the monitor screen. I know
    > >> this because the kde panel is missing, but shows up if I move the mouse
    > >> pointer below the window and click. [...]

    > > This happened to me when I installed Etch onto a clean system. What I
    > > did to correct the problem was to edit /etc/xorg/xorg.conf to only use a
    > > few video modes that I trusted; I also had to change the default depth.

    > I fixed the problem. As I suspected the vesa driver is useless for
    > resolutions above 1024x768, and doubly so for wide screen settings. I
    > edited the xorg.conf file and changed to the open source "nv" driver,
    > and specified by own Modelines. Now it works like a champ.

    It's easier to do is to reconfigure of the xserver package in the
    Debian way(tm).
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Then you can answer all the questions, like which driver to use.

    The only thing I usally do manually is to edit /etc/X11/xorg.config
    and add these two lines into the "Device"-part (where you changed
    "vesa" to "nv") so that the Xserver starts to use EXA to be a bit
    faster with 2D-rendering.
    # From http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/013608.html
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

    Good luck

  5. Re: KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen.

    AJackson wrote:
    > On May 1, 2:52 am, ken scharf wrote:
    >> Mumia W. wrote:
    >>> This happened to me when I installed Etch onto a clean system. What I
    >>> did to correct the problem was to edit /etc/xorg/xorg.conf to only use a
    >>> few video modes that I trusted; I also had to change the default depth.

    >> I fixed the problem. As I suspected the vesa driver is useless for
    >> resolutions above 1024x768, and doubly so for wide screen settings. I
    >> edited the xorg.conf file and changed to the open source "nv" driver,
    >> and specified by own Modelines. Now it works like a champ.

    > It's easier to do is to reconfigure of the xserver package in the
    > Debian way(tm).
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    > Then you can answer all the questions, like which driver to use.
    >
    > The only thing I usally do manually is to edit /etc/X11/xorg.config
    > and add these two lines into the "Device"-part (where you changed
    > "vesa" to "nv") so that the Xserver starts to use EXA to be a bit
    > faster with 2D-rendering.
    > # From http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/013608.html
    > Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    >
    > Good luck

    Guess the 'slackware old school' ways are still with me. I'm not sure
    if the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg would generate the Modelines for me
    though. I had to find a website with the modeline calculator to
    generate the right constants for my monitor and enter them into the conf
    file by hand.

  6. Re: KDE overscans monitor, bottom off screen.

    On May 3, 2:45 am, ken scharf wrote:

    > Guess the 'slackware old school' ways are still with me. I'm not sure
    > if the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg would generate the Modelines for me
    > though. I had to find a website with the modeline calculator to
    > generate the right constants for my monitor and enter them into the conf
    > file by hand.

    Well, that works too, of course. But the Debian Way(tm) is usally
    easier to walk. But if you don't know that way, other ways works to.
    A tip could be to search at and www.debian-administration.org/>. Those are my main sources when I
    need to get information how to do things Debian Way(tm) (which isn't
    the Right Way(tm) all times :-) )

    If you use command tools to install packages, I would recommend you
    just switch every use of apt-get with aptitude, as it gives better
    result, at least for me. If you still want to use apt-get, I find
    switch "-u" (--show-upgraded) very usefull with apt-get.

    It was a long time since I needed to calculate those pesky modelines.
    It usally works (tm) automagically for my. But as I wrote earlier (in
    a way), it doesn't mean that it is the right way for you.

    Good Luck.

+ Reply to Thread