Debian 4, and Thinkpad T22 video problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian 4, and Thinkpad T22 video problem - Debian ; Hi folks: Reciently I downloaded and burned a CD from the debian 4 r0 KDE ISO. It installed fine, but I found an odd bug. If you do a complete cold boot (power off) and boot into debian, the video ...

  1. Debian 4, and Thinkpad T22 video problem

    Hi folks:

    Reciently I downloaded and burned a CD from the debian 4 r0 KDE ISO. It
    installed fine, but I found an odd bug. If you do a complete cold boot
    (power off) and boot into debian, the video won't come on.

    I at first thought it was the KDM so I took it out, and even when I type
    in 'startx' it still has the same problem. I know KDE's starting, for the
    start music plays. Even a ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't correct this. I have
    to power the laptop off, to get out of it.

    Now what's really funny is this: If I coldboot into Windows 2k, then
    reboot (warm reboot) from Windows, it works fine.

    I suspect it's something to do with the way Windows works with the
    laptop. If I do a 'su', then 'shutdown now -r' (for a warm reboot) in
    Debian, I still get the same thing above. But do the same with Windows,
    it works.

    My laptop is a T22, 384 megs memory, and Savage video card.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Kevin C. Redden
    kredden@maysvilleky.net

  2. Re: Debian 4, and Thinkpad T22 video problem

    I had the same problem on a T20 Thinkpad and found this solution online: Go
    into /etc/X11 and edit your xorg.conf file (#nano xorg.conf)

    Go down to the "Monitor" section and change the refresh rates:
    HorizSync 31.5-48.5
    VertRefresh 50-70

    Then under the "Screen" section:
    DefaultDepth 24

    That worked perfect for me!

    Kevin C. Redden wrote:

    > Hi folks:
    >
    > Reciently I downloaded and burned a CD from the debian 4 r0 KDE ISO. It
    > installed fine, but I found an odd bug. If you do a complete cold boot
    > (power off) and boot into debian, the video won't come on.
    >
    > I at first thought it was the KDM so I took it out, and even when I type
    > in 'startx' it still has the same problem. I know KDE's starting, for the
    > start music plays. Even a ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't correct this. I have
    > to power the laptop off, to get out of it.
    >
    > Now what's really funny is this: If I coldboot into Windows 2k, then
    > reboot (warm reboot) from Windows, it works fine.
    >
    > I suspect it's something to do with the way Windows works with the
    > laptop. If I do a 'su', then 'shutdown now -r' (for a warm reboot) in
    > Debian, I still get the same thing above. But do the same with Windows,
    > it works.
    >
    > My laptop is a T22, 384 megs memory, and Savage video card.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  3. Re: Debian 4, and Thinkpad T22 video problem

    Ok, will try that tonite. Thanks for the advice! That Savage card, has
    always been a royal pain in the rump for linux, AND windows. I'll stick
    with nVidia if I can

    - Kc

    Mark Shelby wrote in

    --
    Kevin C. Redden
    kredden@maysvilleky.net
    kevincredden@kevinredden.name
    www.kevinredden.name

    **
    If an attachment is present, all attachments are automatically scanned by
    AVAST AV. Updated daily. Also all attachments are listed below. If an
    attachment isn't listed below, or shows any deviation, please save it,
    and contact us. Do NOT open the attachment, if there is any doubt. Note
    that MS Outlook Express may not show the true extension names.

    file #1:
    Size:

+ Reply to Thread