Ubuntu has lost window manager - help! - Debian

This is a discussion on Ubuntu has lost window manager - help! - Debian ; Hi, I am running 7.04beta of ubuntu. I installed some updates automatically today. Now, the window manager doesn't load on start up. Running x-window-manager in console seems to fix the problem. How do I make this run on start up? ...

  1. Ubuntu has lost window manager - help!

    Hi,

    I am running 7.04beta of ubuntu.
    I installed some updates automatically today.
    Now, the window manager doesn't load on start up.
    Running x-window-manager in console seems to fix the problem.
    How do I make this run on start up?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Ubuntu has lost window manager - help!

    On Apr 12, 10:30 pm, squelc...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running 7.04beta of ubuntu.
    > I installed some updates automatically today.
    > Now, the window manager doesn't load on start up.
    > Running x-window-manager in console seems to fix the problem.
    > How do I make this run on start up?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Erm... seems to have fixed itself!

  3. Re: Ubuntu has lost window manager - help!

    On 12 Apr, 22:33, squelc...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 12, 10:30 pm, squelc...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I am running 7.04beta of ubuntu.
    > > I installed some updates automatically today.
    > > Now, the window manager doesn't load on start up.
    > > Running x-window-manager in console seems to fix the problem.
    > > How do I make this run on start up?

    > > Thanks!

    > Erm... seems to have fixed itself!

    OK... it hasn't!

    What is happening is that on start-up x-window-manager does not seem
    to be started.
    When Ubuntu boots, there are only 2 things on the start-up bar - the
    missing one being the icon for the window manager.

    How do I reconfigure the start-up to start the window manager?

    When the system is running, typing x-window-manager solves everything
    (the window control bar with minimise, maximise and close reappears,
    show desktop works and the 2 work space icons reappear in the task
    bar).

    Thanks - sorry to be a pain with the "it-works-it-doesnt-work" post -
    linux newbie

  4. Re: Ubuntu has lost window manager - help!

    On 04/13/2007 03:43 AM, squelch41@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On 12 Apr, 22:33, squelc...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> On Apr 12, 10:30 pm, squelc...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I am running 7.04beta of ubuntu.
    >>> I installed some updates automatically today.
    >>> Now, the window manager doesn't load on start up.
    >>> Running x-window-manager in console seems to fix the problem.
    >>> How do I make this run on start up?
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Erm... seems to have fixed itself!

    > OK... it hasn't!
    >
    > What is happening is that on start-up x-window-manager does not seem
    > to be started.
    > When Ubuntu boots, there are only 2 things on the start-up bar - the
    > missing one being the icon for the window manager.
    >
    > How do I reconfigure the start-up to start the window manager?
    >
    > When the system is running, typing x-window-manager solves everything
    > (the window control bar with minimise, maximise and close reappears,
    > show desktop works and the 2 work space icons reappear in the task
    > bar).
    >
    > Thanks - sorry to be a pain with the "it-works-it-doesnt-work" post -
    > linux newbie

    Look at the Debian Reference (which you can install using aptitude):
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...l#s-no-x-start

    That URL tells you how to disable X on boot, but you can do the opposite
    to enable it.

    Just to see that your startup links are in place, you might try to run
    this command in a non-root account:

    update-rc.d -n -f gdm remove

    A list of runlevel startup links should be displayed. The above line
    assumes you use gdm (Gnome Desktop Manager) to start X. Other popular
    desktop managers are kdm and xdm.

    --
    Count the YOYOs:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/games_fever/