Specifying an install target to apt ? - Debian

This is a discussion on Specifying an install target to apt ? - Debian ; Hi I wish to know if there is a way to tell apt to install to /usr/local instead of /usr (and create symlinks in /usr to make this process transparent to present / future dependencies and other parts of the ...

  1. Specifying an install target to apt ?

    Hi

    I wish to know if there is a way to tell apt to install to /usr/local
    instead of /usr (and create symlinks in /usr to make this process
    transparent to present / future dependencies and other parts of the
    system). The reason I ask is that I am running out of space in / and have
    plenty of space left under /usr/local.

    Yes, I could build from source using checkinstall but I would then have to
    set up the symlinks manually and I am not interested in compiling some 100
    packages by hand.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Specifying an install target to apt ?

    ../configure --prefix=/usr/local

    zaher el siddik

  3. Re: Specifying an install target to apt ?

    Hello

    Geico Caveman () wrote:

    > I wish to know if there is a way to tell apt to install to /usr/local
    > instead of /usr (and create symlinks in /usr to make this process
    > transparent to present / future dependencies and other parts of the
    > system). The reason I ask is that I am running out of space in / and
    > have plenty of space left under /usr/local.
    >
    > Yes, I could build from source using checkinstall but I would then
    > have to set up the symlinks manually and I am not interested in
    > compiling some 100 packages by hand.

    I don't know a way for apt to handle this automatically. I recommend you
    move some big directory (e.g. /usr/share or /usr/lib) to
    your /use/local partition and symlink it to /usr.

    regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270

  4. Re: Specifying an install target to apt ?

    On Apr 12, 8:39 pm, Geico Caveman
    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I wish to know if there is a way to tell apt to install to /usr/local
    > instead of /usr (and create symlinks in /usr to make this process
    > transparent to present / future dependencies and other parts of the
    > system). The reason I ask is that I am running out of space in / and have
    > plenty of space left under /usr/local.

    You can't, becouse then you needed to build packages from scratch,
    each and every one you install.
    And Debian rules say that they should go there.

    You might want to migrat to a LVM system, then you can move "disksize"
    between partitions and resize file systems. You can look at several
    physical partitions and even disk as one pool och disk area using for
    your virtual partitions.

    But as a short/fast solution, use Andreas solution. "du /usr | more"
    to see where you have a large directory, and move that. You might
    need to reboot after that.

    You might want to try "aptitude clean" to clear caches. Check web
    browser caches too, they could be large...

    Good luck

+ Reply to Thread