Etch & Wifi Problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Etch & Wifi Problem - Debian ; I am running etch on a laptop. I can't get etch to properly use my wireless card. It's a Belkin (Atheros?) F5D7010 card. Has anyone gotten this to work? I know the card works. I have tried several live distro's ...

  1. Etch & Wifi Problem

    I am running etch on a laptop.
    I can't get etch to properly use my wireless card. It's a Belkin (Atheros?)
    F5D7010 card. Has anyone gotten this to work?

    I know the card works. I have tried several live distro's and they all boot
    right up with the card working fine. Debian 4.0 doesn't.

    Any help appreciated.

  2. Re: Etch & Wifi Problem

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:29:18 -0400, Mark Shelby wrote:

    > I am running etch on a laptop.
    > I can't get etch to properly use my wireless card. It's a Belkin (Atheros?)
    > F5D7010 card. Has anyone gotten this to work?
    >
    > I know the card works. I have tried several live distro's and they all boot
    > right up with the card working fine. Debian 4.0 doesn't.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Did you tried ndiswrapper ?

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  3. Re: Etch & Wifi Problem

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:29:18 -0400, Mark Shelby wrote:

    > I am running etch on a laptop.
    > I can't get etch to properly use my wireless card. It's a Belkin (Atheros?)
    > F5D7010 card. Has anyone gotten this to work?
    >
    > I know the card works. I have tried several live distro's and they all boot
    > right up with the card working fine. Debian 4.0 doesn't.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Are you sure it's Atheros? My F5D7010 was broadcomm.

  4. Re: Etch & Wifi Problem

    Hello

    Mark Shelby () wrote:

    > I am running etch on a laptop.
    > I can't get etch to properly use my wireless card. It's a Belkin
    > (Atheros?) F5D7010 card. Has anyone gotten this to work?
    >
    > I know the card works. I have tried several live distro's and they all
    > boot right up with the card working fine. Debian 4.0 doesn't.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    I use several atheros based cards. However please first run lspci and
    post the output here so we can be sure that they really use an atheros
    chipset.

    regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270

  5. Re: Etch & Wifi Problem

    lspci outputs:

    Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC

    So I wonder what I am missing? I am certain it is a few simple files, but I
    just don't know enough about wireless to make it go. I tried ndiswrapper
    and installed a INF file for Win98/ME/XP but it didn't make a bit of
    difference.

    Maybe I should back up a bit... I currently have a minimal install on the
    laptop but I have tried the full install Etch and several levels in
    between. My system is just not downloading the right programs to use
    wireless. Problem is I don't know what all programs I need to get it
    working. I am using KDE on top of Debian etch. Can anyone point me in the
    right direction?

    Seems like I have noticed a lot of questions about wireless ethernet cards
    not working in etch. Wonder what is up with that? I can boot up on the same
    laptop with a live cd distro (Nimblex) and the pcmcia card is detected just
    fine and works perfectly.

    Help, somebody please point me to a list of all the files I need to install
    for wireless networking!!!!

  6. Re: Etch & Wifi Problem

    Hello

    Mark Shelby () wrote:

    > lspci outputs:
    >
    > Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg
    > NIC

    Alright, that looks good.

    > So I wonder what I am missing? I am certain it is a few simple files,
    > but I just don't know enough about wireless to make it go. I tried
    > ndiswrapper and installed a INF file for Win98/ME/XP but it didn't
    > make a bit of difference.

    There is no need for ndiswrapper, Debian has native drivers. Make sure
    that your /etc/apt/sources.list does not only include "main" but
    "main contrib non-free" (only servers, do not change CD/DVD entries),
    run apt-get update, and install the driver.

    1. install build environment:
    apt-get install build-essential module-assistant
    2. install kernel headers
    module-assistant prepare
    3. install driver
    module-assistant auto-install madwifi-source

    That's it. After that, load the driver using

    modprobe ath_pci

    If you use udev, the driver will be loaded automatically at boot time.
    Use iwconfig/wpasupplicant to configure the card, or network-manager if
    you want point and click configuration.

    > Maybe I should back up a bit... I currently have a minimal install on
    > the laptop but I have tried the full install Etch and several levels
    > in between. My system is just not downloading the right programs to
    > use wireless. Problem is I don't know what all programs I need to get
    > it working. I am using KDE on top of Debian etch. Can anyone point me
    > in the right direction?

    You should install wireless-tools (includes iwconfig), wpasupplicant if
    you want to use wpa/wpa2 encryption (recommended), network-manager and
    network-manager-kde if you want to configure the card from within KDE.

    > Seems like I have noticed a lot of questions about wireless ethernet
    > cards not working in etch. Wonder what is up with that? I can boot up
    > on the same laptop with a live cd distro (Nimblex) and the pcmcia card
    > is detected just fine and works perfectly.

    They probably include the driver pre-built on their CD. Debian however
    does not, because the driver is not free software and Debian does not
    distribute software on it's CDs that do not comply to the Debian free
    software guidelines. So you need to install the driver from the net.

    regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
    Registered Linux User #267976
    http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

  7. Re: Etch & Wifi Problem

    On Apr 13, 11:09 am, Andreas Janssen
    wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Mark Shelby () wrote:
    > > lspci outputs:

    > > Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg
    > > NIC

    > Alright, that looks good.

    > They probably include the driver pre-built on their CD. Debian however
    > does not, because the driver is not free software and Debian does not
    > distribute software on it's CDs that do not comply to the Debian free
    > software guidelines. So you need to install the driver from the net.
    >
    > regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    Realy good answer! Like I wrote it myself ;-)
    Should get Mark going with the wireless-card.

    It shouldn't be hard doing stuff Debian way, like shown here. Jusally
    one doesn't need to compile the kernel to get extra stuff in. Just
    try module-assistant and go from there. If some module drivers isn't
    packed, you need to do some more stuff. But if it is, is realy isn't
    more then this.

    Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread