Simple iTunes replacement - Debian

This is a discussion on Simple iTunes replacement - Debian ; Hi, I am looking for a simple iTunes replacement. What I want to do is to rip CDs to M4a and then copy to an iPod with minimal fuss. Rhythmbox crashes when I try and edit the encoding properties so ...

  1. Simple iTunes replacement

    Hi,

    I am looking for a simple iTunes replacement.
    What I want to do is to rip CDs to M4a and then copy to an iPod with
    minimal fuss.

    Rhythmbox crashes when I try and edit the encoding properties so I am
    stuck with OGG and FLAC - no use for an ipod!

    Using ubuntu 7.04 Beta.

    Cheers for any recommendations
    squelch41

  2. Re: Simple iTunes replacement

    On Apr 9, 3:12 pm, squelc...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a simple iTunes replacement.
    > What I want to do is to rip CDs to M4a and then copy to an iPod with
    > minimal fuss.
    >
    > Rhythmbox crashes when I try and edit the encoding properties so I am
    > stuck with OGG and FLAC - no use for an ipod!
    >
    > Using ubuntu 7.04 Beta.
    >
    > Cheers for any recommendations
    > squelch41

    You should be abel to set gstreamer to do this, and then Rhythmbox
    should be abel to play them as well.
    If you want to rip your CD, you need SoundJuicer. You should be able
    to convert directly to MPEG4 sound format. But I haven't tried it. I
    only use devices that uses OGG myself

    I use package/programme "SoundConverter" to convert from OGG to MP3
    and other formats.

    I installed packages "soundconverter" and "gstreamer0.10-lame" to make
    soundconverter convert to MP3. Don't know how to make M4(?) format
    though.

    You might need packages gstreamer-tools, gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-
    apps, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-full,
    gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3

    Yes, if it doesn't work, try to remove ~/.gstreamer-0.10/ so
    gstreamer reload codecs etc...

    You might want to search on ffmpg, which is is library for managing
    m4(?) iPod audio format, I think. Some one will correct me on this

+ Reply to Thread