DreamLinux Nvidia Problems? (Debian-based) - Debian

This is a discussion on DreamLinux Nvidia Problems? (Debian-based) - Debian ; Anyone here familiar with DreamLinux? It's a brazilian based Distro entirely using *.debian files . I've installed and am running V2.2 RC1 and have but about 300 debian file upgrades on the system. My problem is a bit unusual. I ...

  1. DreamLinux Nvidia Problems? (Debian-based)

    Anyone here familiar with DreamLinux? It's a brazilian based Distro
    entirely using *.debian files . I've installed and am running V2.2 RC1
    and have but about 300 debian file upgrades on the system. My problem is
    a bit unusual. I can't seem to run the following programs. .. the
    video blanks out and puts me back into the log on screen or it just
    plain locks up. I've got an FX5200 Nvidia card. I have the Nvidia driver
    software installed and I get the Nvidia Logo on the screen when it boots
    up. I am using the correct refresh vert and Hz rates for my LCD moniter.
    I am also in 1280 X 1024 res mode 24-bit.

    Everything looks good on the moniter and 95% of all the other programs
    run like there is no problems. .

    The ones that don't work are:

    Blender
    Brutalchess
    Picasa
    Google-Earth
    Opera
    Stellarium

    All of these packages are installed. Picasa locks up and stops.
    Google-Earth blanks out the screen and resets me back to the Log on
    screen. Opera doesn't even come up. Stellarium jumps me out to the Log
    on screen also. Blender and BrutalChess don't ever come up.

    Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated. I've install about 300
    file updates today and everything else runs very smoothly.

    Richard

  2. Re: DreamLinux Nvidia Problems? (Debian-based)

    On Apr 9, 7:49 am, Richard Carlson wrote:
    > Anyone here familiar with DreamLinux? It's a brazilian based Distro
    > entirely using *.debian files . I've installed and am running V2.2 RC1
    > and have but about 300 debian file upgrades on the system. My problem is
    > a bit unusual. I can't seem to run the following programs. .. the
    > video blanks out and puts me back into the log on screen or it just
    > plain locks up. I've got an FX5200 Nvidia card. I have the Nvidia driver
    > software installed and I get the Nvidia Logo on the screen when it boots
    > up. I am using the correct refresh vert and Hz rates for my LCD moniter.
    > I am also in 1280 X 1024 res mode 24-bit.
    >
    > Everything looks good on the moniter and 95% of all the other programs
    > run like there is no problems. .
    >
    > The ones that don't work are:
    >
    > Blender
    > Brutalchess
    > Picasa
    > Google-Earth
    > Opera
    > Stellarium
    >
    > All of these packages are installed. Picasa locks up and stops.
    > Google-Earth blanks out the screen and resets me back to the Log on
    > screen. Opera doesn't even come up. Stellarium jumps me out to the Log
    > on screen also. Blender and BrutalChess don't ever come up.
    >
    > Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated. I've install about 300
    > file updates today and everything else runs very smoothly.
    >
    > Richard

    Hmmm.

    Could it be OpenGL that doesn't work well.
    Try software OpenGL drivers in package libgl1-mesa-swx11 (meta package
    libgl1).

    If it works, you could try nvidias binary driver. Look in http://wiki.debian.org/
    for information how to install with all three ways to install nvidia
    binary driver. If you had ATI card you could have used a open source
    3D driver.

+ Reply to Thread