missing man pages after new install - Debian

This is a discussion on missing man pages after new install - Debian ; Hi, I recently installed Debian "sarge" 3.1r5. I seem to be missing man pages for read(), write(), poll(), etc. I do have them for pthread_exit() and pthread_create(). I checked and I have glibc-doc installed. I even re-installed it. I started ...

  1. missing man pages after new install

    Hi,

    I recently installed Debian "sarge" 3.1r5. I seem to be missing man
    pages for read(), write(), poll(), etc. I do have them for
    pthread_exit() and pthread_create(). I checked and I have glibc-doc
    installed. I even re-installed it. I started looking through all the
    debian *-doc packages, but got tired after the 'p's (too many of 'em).

    Anyone out there know what package I'm missing?

    Thanks much!

    Jim

  2. Re: missing man pages after new install

    Never mind! It's manpages-dev. Too bad the docs aren't consistent in
    naming ("-doc") . One weird thing--aptitude says more
    comprehensive info can be found in glibc-doc.

    Jim

    On Apr 6, 3:48 pm, "Jim" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently installed Debian "sarge" 3.1r5. I seem to be missing man
    > pages for read(), write(), poll(), etc. I do have them for
    > pthread_exit() and pthread_create(). I checked and I have glibc-doc
    > installed. I even re-installed it. I started looking through all the
    > debian *-doc packages, but got tired after the 'p's (too many of 'em).
    >
    > Anyone out there know what package I'm missing?
    >
    > Thanks much!
    >
    > Jim

  3. Re: missing man pages after new install

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently installed Debian "sarge" 3.1r5. I seem to be missing man
    > pages for read(), write(), poll(), etc.

    [snip]
    > Anyone out there know what package I'm missing?

    Try the 'manpages-dev' package.

  4. Re: missing man pages after new install

    In alt.comp.linux Jim wrote:
    > Anyone out there know what package I'm missing?

    manpages-dev

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: missing man pages after new install

    On Apr 7, 1:02 am, "Jim" wrote:
    > Never mind! It's manpages-dev. Too bad the docs aren't consistent in
    > naming ("-doc") .

    It's a packages for program developing. That's why it is -dev
    Like any other -dev package

    > One weird thing--aptitude says more
    > comprehensive info can be found in glibc-doc.

    Yes, becouse you use glibc when you program i C.

    Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread