KDE desktop has a clock - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE desktop has a clock - Debian ; I would like to set the time zone in KDE to be Yemen's capital Sana'a, but I could not find the name in the Show Timezone -> configure zone of the clock. How can I do this? Thanks...

  1. KDE desktop has a clock

    I would like to set the time zone in KDE to be Yemen's capital Sana'a,
    but I could not find the name in the Show Timezone -> configure zone
    of the clock. How can I do this?

    Thanks

  2. Re: KDE desktop has a clock

    Em Sexta, 6 de Abril de 2007 13:23, jamiil escreveu:

    > I would like to set the time zone in KDE to be Yemen's capital Sana'a,
    > but I could not find the name in the Show Timezone -> configure zone
    > of the clock. How can I do this?
    >
    > Thanks

    chose another city that is in the same timezone as yours

  3. Re: KDE desktop has a clock

    On 6 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.debian, in article
    <1175862203.914691.271130@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>, jamiil wrote:

    >I would like to set the time zone in KDE to be Yemen's capital Sana'a,
    >but I could not find the name in the Show Timezone -> configure zone
    >of the clock. How can I do this?

    From the 'asia' source file in tzdata.2007e that is used by virtually all
    UNIX systems to create the zone files:

    Yemen
    # Zone NAME GMTOFF RULES FORMAT [UNTIL]
    Zone Asia/Aden 3:00:48 - LMT 1950
    3:00 - AST

    Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen use the same time zone, which
    the source file unofficially calls 'Arabian Standard Time (AST). The other
    zonefiles in this group are 'Asia/Bahrain', 'Asia/Kuwait', 'Asia/Qatar' and
    'Asia/Riyadh'. Daylight Saving Time is not used.

    Old guy

  4. Re: KDE desktop has a clock

    "jamiil" writes:

    >I would like to set the time zone in KDE to be Yemen's capital Sana'a,
    >but I could not find the name in the Show Timezone -> configure zone
    >of the clock. How can I do this?

    The time zones are listed in /usr/share/zoneinfo files and directories, and
    the only Mideast one is Riyadh, but there are lots of "mideastern" ones in
    Asia. Aden,Riyadh Amman,Jerusalem, Damascus, Dacca, Baghdad,Bahrain,Dubai,Gaza,
    .... so that probably means that noone has
    written on for Sana or that Sana does not differ from one of those. (Eg, what is the difference in timezone between Sana and Aden?) In the latter
    case It would be a mistake to make separate identical tz files for each and
    every political entity in the world. However, if the Sana time zone is
    really different in some way ( present or past) from that of one of those, and if
    you know how it has worked, then write a time zone file for Sana and submit
    it for inclusion in tzdata.
    (For example the Aden time Zone data is
    Zone Asia/Aden 3:00:48 - LMT 1950
    3:00 - AST

    Which says that until 1950 Aden kept Local Mean Time ( Ie mean sun time)
    which was 3 hours and 48 seconds before GMT, and thereafter it kept AST
    which was 3 hours before GMT.

    Is Sana different? (Well, its mean solar time would probably have been
    2:56:44 rather than 3:00:48-- that should be 3:00:08 if one believes the
    lattitude on googleearth--but you are probably not really interested in the
    situation prior to 1950.)

    (download the tzdata file and look at the entries for some of the other
    cities.) You should have some authoritative sources for your historical
    information.

    >Thanks

  5. Re: KDE desktop has a clock

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.debian, in article
    , Unruh wrote:

    >The time zones are listed in /usr/share/zoneinfo files and directories,
    >and the only Mideast one is Riyadh, but there are lots of "mideastern"
    >ones in Asia. Aden,Riyadh Amman,Jerusalem, Damascus, Dacca, Baghdad,
    >Bahrain,Dubai,Gaza, ... so that probably means that noone has written
    >on for Sana or that Sana does not differ from one of those.

    Or that the apostrophe in the city name goes against the naming scheme
    used - see the 'Theory' file contained within the tzcode2007?.tar.gz
    file. While Sana'a is more populated (~950k) than the second (Aden,
    ~400k), third (Ta'izz, ~320k) or fourth (Al-Hudaydah ~300k) largest
    cities, Aden is more well known, and fits the character set used. Also,
    Yemen (as opposed to the "Protectorate of South Arabia" which became the
    Yemen People's Democratic Republic with a capital of Aden, and _later_
    merged into the present 'Yemen') did not have an official "standard"
    time at least through 1975 (source: National Geographic Atlas of the
    World, 4th Edition, 1975), whereas US Hydrographic Office chart 5192,
    1958 edition shows the Aden named zone. This matter is also discussed
    in that 'Theory' file.

    Old guy

  6. Re: KDE desktop has a clock

    On Apr 6, 12:23 pm, "jamiil" wrote:
    > I would like to set the time zone in KDE to be Yemen's capital Sana'a,
    > but I could not find the name in the Show Timezone -> configure zone
    > of the clock. How can I do this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks everyone!

  7. Re: KDE desktop has a clock

    Unruh wrote:

    > The time zones are listed in /usr/share/zoneinfo files and directories,
    > and the only Mideast one is Riyadh, but there are lots of "mideastern"
    > ones in Asia. Aden,Riyadh Amman,Jerusalem, Damascus, Dacca,
    > Baghdad,Bahrain,Dubai,Gaza,

    Don't mean to quibble, but it is Dhaka (not Dacca) and it is most definitely
    nowhere near the middle east.

  8. Re: KDE desktop has a clock

    Geico Caveman writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> The time zones are listed in /usr/share/zoneinfo files and directories,
    >> and the only Mideast one is Riyadh, but there are lots of "mideastern"
    >> ones in Asia. Aden,Riyadh Amman,Jerusalem, Damascus, Dacca,
    >> Baghdad,Bahrain,Dubai,Gaza,

    >Don't mean to quibble, but it is Dhaka (not Dacca) and it is most definitely
    >nowhere near the middle east.

    It is a quibble and you are of course right (although there IS a Dacca
    file). But your observation is also entirely irrelevant to the OP question.

+ Reply to Thread