Flexbackup and cron - Debian

This is a discussion on Flexbackup and cron - Debian ; Is there a bug in cron?? I am using Debian testing and cron 3.0pl1-97. The cron timed Flexbackup which has been working the way is should for the last 2 years has changed. If you are familiar with flexbackup: in ...

  1. Flexbackup and cron

    Is there a bug in cron??

    I am using Debian testing and cron 3.0pl1-97.

    The cron timed Flexbackup which has been working the way is should for the
    last 2 years has changed.

    If you are familiar with flexbackup:

    in flexbackup.conf there is a $set varable to define the directories to be
    backed up.

    $set{'backup'} = "/home /etc /var /usr/local";

    in /etc/cron.daily is a script which runs flecxbackup and determines the
    level of backup acording to the day

    /usr/bin/flexbackup -set all -level $(expr \( $(date +%w) - $LVL0DAY \) %
    7)

    The -set all should cause flexbackup to backup ALL dir defined by $set;
    "/home /etc /var /usr/local"

    Only the first dir is now being backed up "/home".

    I wrote a script for the Gnome launcher
    sudo /etc/cron.daily/flexbackup

    which runs the same script that cron should run, now ALL dir defined by
    $set are backed up as the should.

    Has anyone run into this?

    Al

  2. Re: Flexbackup and cron

    Hello Al
    dunno if this can help, probably you solved already.

    I had the same problem under Ubuntu and I found that, probably after an update of Ubuntu, there was a difference between the PATH= line in crontab and the PATH of the root user for an interactive login, this was what made my flexbackup script working perfectly in interactive mode but not when launched by crontab.

    I checked the PATH of the interactive root shell this way:
    sudo bash
    echo $PATH

    Then I updated the PATH= line at the beginning of the /etc/crontab file with the same settings as before and everything started working again.

    Happy Ubuntu!
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread