No VIDEO in Development Version - Debian

This is a discussion on No VIDEO in Development Version - Debian ; I installed the development version of Debian. I booted my machine and Debian booted up OK, but when the X-Server started, the screen went black. I restarted it but stayed in the shell. When I entered gdm, poof, there was ...

  1. No VIDEO in Development Version

    I installed the development version of Debian. I booted my machine and
    Debian booted up OK, but when the X-Server started, the screen went
    black. I restarted it but stayed in the shell. When I entered gdm,
    poof, there was a flash of light and then nothing. Has anyone else had
    this problem, and how did you fix it? Debian stable works just fine as
    does SUSE 10.1.

    Don

    p.s. I have an ATI 9600 Series video card and a Viewsonic G810-2
    monitor, fairly standard stuff I should think.

    Don

  2. Re: No VIDEO in Development Version

    Don wrote:
    > I installed the development version of Debian. I booted my machine and
    > Debian booted up OK, but when the X-Server started, the screen went
    > black. I restarted it but stayed in the shell. [...]

    Perhaps you can configure your X to use vesa. That should get it working
    (without DRI).

    Also take a look at the X errors in /var/log/{XFree86,Xorg}.0.log

+ Reply to Thread