Questions - Debian

This is a discussion on Questions - Debian ; Greetings I am running kernel version 2.6.8-3-686-smp on my ASUS A7J laptop. Using aptitude as root, I have gotten every kernel related package I can find for this version of the kernel. I was looking for kernel headers, image, etc. ...

  1. Questions

    Greetings

    I am running kernel version 2.6.8-3-686-smp on my ASUS A7J laptop. Using
    aptitude as root, I have gotten every kernel related package I can find for
    this version of the kernel. I was looking for kernel headers, image, etc.
    Nevertheless, while running "make" for alsa-driver-1.0.11_4.02, I get...

    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.8-3-686-smp/source: No such file or directory.
    Stop.make: *** [compile] Error 2

    Obviously the source directory is missing for this version of the kernel I
    have installed. Can anyone point me to the right debian package I need or
    whatever it is that I need to do?

    My second question relates to getting access to my XP partition. I have in
    my fstab the line...

    /dev/hda1 /home/kip/xp ntfs ro,users,auto 0 0

    Because it is NTFS, I don't expect anything more that readonly access -
    which is fine. I just want to grab stuff off of it. The problem is that,
    even though I create the /xp directory in my home folder, I still can't
    access it unless I login as root. Can anyone help with that as well?

    Thank you.

    --
    Kip

  2. Re: Questions

    Kip wrote:

    > Greetings
    >
    > I am running kernel version 2.6.8-3-686-smp on my ASUS A7J laptop.
    > Using aptitude as root, I have gotten every kernel related package I
    > can find for this version of the kernel. I was looking for kernel
    > headers, image, etc. Nevertheless, while running "make" for
    > alsa-driver-1.0.11_4.02, I get...
    >
    > make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.8-3-686-smp/source: No such file or
    > directory. Stop.make: *** [compile] Error 2
    >
    > Obviously the source directory is missing for this version of the
    > kernel I have installed. Can anyone point me to the right debian
    > package I need or whatever it is that I need to do?
    >
    > My second question relates to getting access to my XP partition. I
    > have in my fstab the line...
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /home/kip/xp ntfs ro,users,auto 0 0
    >
    > Because it is NTFS, I don't expect anything more that readonly access
    > - which is fine. I just want to grab stuff off of it. The problem is
    > that, even though I create the /xp directory in my home folder, I
    > still can't access it unless I login as root. Can anyone help with
    > that as well?
    >
    > Thank you.

    I forgot to mention: The XP partition is mounted successfully, but I
    can browse it only as root.

    Kip

    --

  3. Re: Questions

    On 2006-06-05, Kip wrote:
    > My second question relates to getting access to my XP partition. I have in
    > my fstab the line...
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /home/kip/xp ntfs ro,users,auto 0 0
    >
    > Because it is NTFS, I don't expect anything more that readonly access -
    > which is fine.

    Change the line to something like:

    /dev/hda1 /home/kip/xp ntfs ro,users,auto,umask=444 0 0

    or rather set the uid= and gid= options (man mount) to the good values:

    uid=value, gid=value and umask=value
    Set the file permission on the filesystem. The umask value is
    given in octal. By default, the files are owned by root and not
    readable by somebody else.

  4. Re: Questions

    Piotr P. Karwasz wrote:

    > On 2006-06-05, Kip wrote:
    >> My second question relates to getting access to my XP partition. I have
    >> in my fstab the line...
    >>
    >> /dev/hda1 /home/kip/xp ntfs ro,users,auto 0 0
    >>
    >> Because it is NTFS, I don't expect anything more that readonly access -
    >> which is fine.

    > Change the line to something like:
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /home/kip/xp ntfs ro,users,auto,umask=444 0 0
    >
    > or rather set the uid= and gid= options (man mount) to the good values:
    >
    > uid=value, gid=value and umask=value
    > Set the file permission on the filesystem. The umask value is
    > given in octal. By default, the files are owned by root and not
    > readable by somebody else.

    Thank you for your help Mr. Karwasz. I replaced the previous fstab entry
    with the one you suggested. I din't know how to use chown very well, as I
    am still learning, so I copied the whole line and pasted it into fstab.
    This is what followed after saving:

    (logged in as root)
    KIPL:/home/kip# umount /dev/hda1

    KIPL:/home/kip# mount /dev/hda1

    KIPL:/home/kip# mount
    /dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /home/kip/xp type ntfs (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=444)

    I can see the contents of xp perfectly as root.

    (logged in as normal user)
    kip@KIPL:~$ cd xp
    kip@KIPL:~/xp$ ls
    ls: .: Permission denied
    kip@KIPL:~/xp$

    Any ideas? Thanks.

    --
    Kip

  5. Re: Questions

    On 2006-06-06, Kip wrote:
    > /dev/hda1 on /home/kip/xp type ntfs (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=444)

    ^^^

    Oups, I managed to forget the order of UNIX permissions. It should be either
    umask=000 (every file appears with all the permissions set) or
    dmask=222,fmask=333 (normal files don't appear as executables).

    Piotr

  6. Re: Questions

    Piotr P. Karwasz wrote:

    > On 2006-06-06, Kip wrote:
    >> /dev/hda1 on /home/kip/xp type ntfs (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=444)

    > ^^^
    >
    > Oups, I managed to forget the order of UNIX permissions. It should be
    > either umask=000 (every file appears with all the permissions set) or
    > dmask=222,fmask=333 (normal files don't appear as executables).
    >
    > Piotr

    Thank you. umask=000 worked!

    --
    Kip