Video Resolution Settings??? - Debian

This is a discussion on Video Resolution Settings??? - Debian ; I just did a net install of Debian stable release. It works fine except for one thing. The maximum video resolution that can be specified is 800x600. Is there any way I can increase it. I have an ATI Radeon ...

  1. Video Resolution Settings???

    I just did a net install of Debian stable release. It works fine except
    for one thing. The maximum video resolution that can be specified is
    800x600. Is there any way I can increase it. I have an ATI Radeon 9600
    video card and a Viewsonic G810-2 monitor. I did specify ati during the
    install. In WinXP and SUSE 10.1 there are a much broader range of
    resolutions and sync rates to choose from. Thanks in advance for any
    help you can give. I'm new to Debian.

    Don

  2. Re: Video Resolution Settings???

    Try Google using "debian screen resolution", you should get a lot of hits.
    Hopefully one or two will help you.

  3. Re: Video Resolution Settings???

    bosco wrote:
    > Try Google using "debian screen resolution", you should get a lot of hits.
    > Hopefully one or two will help you.

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 worked quite well. I would have liked
    to get higher refresh rates but I didn't go into the Advanced monitor
    settings, I just went into the medium ones because I don't trust myself
    with setting both horizontal and vertical refresh rates.

    Don

  4. Re: Video Resolution Settings???

    "Don" wrote in message
    >I just did a net install of Debian stable release. It works fine except
    >for one thing. The maximum video resolution that can be specified is
    >800x600. Is there any way I can increase it. I have an ATI Radeon 9600
    >video card and a Viewsonic G810-2 monitor. I did specify ati during the
    >install. In WinXP and SUSE 10.1 there are a much broader range of
    >resolutions and sync rates to choose from. Thanks in advance for any help
    >you can give. I'm new to Debian.
    >
    > Don

    Log into root,(you may have to enable it in the Gnome Desktop Manager at
    login, the Actions Tab)and edit your xf86config-4 in /etc/x11, add
    "1024x768" in the 16 and 24 bit depth in the subsection "Display"
    area.Worked for me anyway.

  5. Re: Video Resolution Settings???

    Don wrote:
    > bosco wrote:
    >> Try Google using "debian screen resolution", you should get a lot of
    >> hits.
    >> Hopefully one or two will help you.

    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 worked quite well. I would have liked
    > to get higher refresh rates but I didn't go into the Advanced monitor
    > settings, I just went into the medium ones because I don't trust myself
    > with setting both horizontal and vertical refresh rates.
    >
    > Don

    It's not hard, just google "monitor model" "specs" and somewhere there
    will be a listing of what the vertical and horizontal refresh rates are.
    Sometimes the only way I could get the correct resolution was to put
    them in manually.

  6. Re: Video Resolution Settings???

    Don wrote:
    > bosco wrote:
    > > Try Google using "debian screen resolution", you should get a lot of hits.
    > > Hopefully one or two will help you.

    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 worked quite well. I would have liked
    > to get higher refresh rates but I didn't go into the Advanced monitor
    > settings, I just went into the medium ones because I don't trust myself
    > with setting both horizontal and vertical refresh rates.
    >
    > Don

    I don't know how it is in Debian stable, but in my Gentoo setup
    commenting out the refresh rates altogether allows Xorg (Debian Sarge
    still has XFree86) to autodetect them, giving me the option of
    selecting the right rate from the gnome screen resolution tool. I love
    Debian on the server, but for the desktop I find stable too old,
    testing changes too much and unstable is just that, unstable.
    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread